Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sisaliker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2014, 8:53 am

I have noticed that I can't really notice details. For example, today in art lesson, teacher showed us a video of one theater member talking about art. There was one jacket with Estonian and Russian flag. At first I did not notice flags, I just saw color mess there, but after 3-4 minutes I finally noticed that there are two flags. I can't notice many things, I will will notice them when I am looking straight at them (my vision is sharp in center and is going foggy when moving away from center). Other people around me can notice much more details than I can.
Can my detail noticing be poor because of my vision or because of something else?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 4:22 am

I can be walking down the sidewalk coming to an intersection and notice a bug walking by in extreme detail and yet not notice that i'm about to step in front of moving traffic.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 9:49 am

Sisaliker

Have a look at this. There is something called Irlen syndrome.
See if anything here is matching your experience.
Irlen syndrome is rather common among aspergers.

http://irlen.com/

Last edited by Jensen on 24 Apr 2014, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megocode3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2014, 2:06 pm

Sisaliker wrote:
I have noticed that I can't really notice details. For example, today in art lesson, teacher showed us a video of one theater member talking about art. There was one jacket with Estonian and Russian flag. At first I did not notice flags, I just saw color mess there, but after 3-4 minutes I finally noticed that there are two flags. I can't notice many things, I will will notice them when I am looking straight at them (my vision is sharp in center and is going foggy when moving away from center). Other people around me can notice much more details than I can.
Can my detail noticing be poor because of my vision or because of something else?

You might actually be more detail oriented than you realize. It sounds like you became more fixated on the individual colors rather than the overall image they formed. As EzraS demonstrated, it's actually quite common for those with an ASD to become so focused on details that they miss the bigger picture.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 3:25 pm

You are noticing details. It's just that you are processing the colors and patterns and not recognizing the conceptual category of a thing, like "oh, this is a Burger King" or "this is a car dealership," etc. Happens to me all the time. That's why I don't know where anything is around here.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm

Another way to describe this would be bottom up processing. Essentially rather than 1st seeing the forest and then the trees, it's first seeing the texture of the bark, and building up to the tree, and what type of tree, and how does it compare to other trees of this variety that I have known, and then moving in a similar manor toward the eventual end of forest.
Us folk on the spectrum tend to oftentimes be very good at doing the latter of the two, though not always as good at doing the top down processing that the nypicals around us do so well.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Sisaliker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2014, 11:19 pm

I have indeed a lot of experiences where image is "built up" from details. When I am watching something, I can miss full picture (e.g a lot of papers and calendar on wall with a wrong date). I was looking at Irlene Syndrome website, it seems that I might have it, I can only see long word or few smaller words because words next to it are unreadable.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:01 am

I too have Irlen syn. That accounts for symptoms, that weren´t understood when I had optometric training many years ago.
It is not uncommon, and it is very common in people on the autism spectrum.