Sick of suburbia life! City life is MUCH better and open!

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm

As I said before, I feel very out of place in Mukilteo even though I lived there my whole life. I wish I can live in Seattle and have an awesome life dating a diverse group of women, however, since I'm under SSI and under my parent's roof (though I'm thankful for that) at 31 it looks like it won't happen anytime soon. Too many crotchety old white people in town and not enough diversity in my side of town. Plus they treat me like I'm still 12 even though I'm 19 years older and a lot smarter than I look. At least in Emerald City, there is TONS to do and LOTS of people to meet who don't give two *beep* if you're rich, poor, disabled, overweight, have a car, etc. In Mukilteo, not much unless you're rich or you're married with children. Is there anybody that can help me move to Seattle? Because I'm sick and tired of being in a boring town!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 12:23 am

seattle is VERY crowded and VERY expensive. groceries cost easily twice what they do in my rural part of Washington.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 8:54 am

If you're on SSI they have housing assistance, you could get on the waiting list and see if anything becomes available there perhaps. Might take time, I applied for it before and it took about a year to get notified of any openings and by then I already had moved in with room-mates and my boyfriend so didn't need it anymore. Or you could try and find room-mates but might be a little hard if you don't know anyone and a bit more risky, but could be quicker...I already know most of the people I live with.

But yeah if you really think you'd prefer to live there, there are certainly options to do that.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 9:04 am

It's funny you posted this and I looked right over it making MY random post about how much I hate living in the city and wish I was living in the country again!

I guess if you're a younger person looking to date and do social-type things the city would be preferable. If you're older like me and want privacy and freedom a rural area might be better.

My neighbor and I were talking about how much it sucked that we don't have a water source in times of emergencies. Not just the world collapsing kinds of things, but just when something is wrong with the city water and they need to shut it off for a day or more to fix it. We can't drill wells here on our property. Even if we could, our lots are so small there probably wouldn't be any.

However, we are in walking distance of bars, restaurants, convenience stores, there's a bus stop on our corner, and we are in a multicultural, multiracial, diverse income level neighborhood.

You would probably have a great time in my neighborhood and maybe I would prefer yours, lol!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 10:12 pm

https://www.couchsurfing.com/

couchsurfing

youth hospices

section eight housing

get a job in seattle

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 2:14 am

even if you manage to find one of those $15/hour minimum wage jobs there, making rent without a majority of your paycheck going bye-bye, is gonna be tough unless you live in a BAD part of town.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 9:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
even if you manage to find one of those $15/hour minimum wage jobs there, making rent without a majority of your paycheck going bye-bye, is gonna be tough unless you live in a BAD part of town.

yes but ain't it like that everywhere?

if it were a good place to live, it would cost more than bad places to live.

granted, what is good and bad is subjective. (fine). but there are cities that many people call good and cities that few people call good. for practical purposes.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 9:45 pm

Not all of the cheap places to live are in the bad part of town. If you don't mind the noise places next to subways or similar mass transit are often cheap.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 10:00 pm

BTDT wrote:
Not all of the cheap places to live are in the bad part of town. If you don't mind the noise places next to subways or similar mass transit are often cheap.

studies of such places show that the unfortunate residents therein have higher blood pressure and higher levels of stress hormones. noise kills.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 7:52 pm

BTDT wrote:

which cities are convenient to mass transit and cheap to live in?

everywhere around where i live, it is expensive to live around mass transit.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 9:40 pm

If you don't mind the cold winters and hot summers you might consider Philadelphia. The cost is about average, which makes it a bargain considering the great transportation system and culture. You can easily take a train to get to Boston, NYC, or DC. Or out to one of the suburbs. Or a rural town if you want to do that.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 9:54 pm

BTDT wrote:
If you don't mind the cold winters and hot summers you might consider Philadelphia. The cost is about average, which makes it a bargain considering the great transportation system and culture. You can easily take a train to get to Boston, NYC, or DC. Or out to one of the suburbs. Or a rural town if you want to do that.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

but i might end up homeless. so do not wanna go somewhere with extreme weather.

besides where i live now is not too homophobic and it is politically liberal.

as an autistic, i deal badly with change.

moving states. can't be good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 10:02 pm

I live out in the sticks because the cost of living is relatively low, and population density is low.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:08 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I live out in the sticks because the cost of living is relatively low, and population density is low.

so would autistics do better somewhere urban, b/c, with more people, it is easier to find a niche, or

would autistics do better "out in the sticks" so they can avoid more people altogether?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:13 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

so would autistics do better somewhere urban, b/c, with more people, it is easier to find a niche, or would autistics do better "out in the sticks" so they can avoid more people altogether?

I can only speak for "this" autistic :alien: - I've been in both environments, and I find the sticks to be far calmer, but with moments of terror when an unmitigated deliverance-styled yahoo is encountered. the sticks is where my niche is, that I've been searching for all my life. there is just too much complexity for me in cities, of which their greater cultural enrichment does not sufficiently compensate. there is not much culture out here, but one can't have everything.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:18 pm

yeah i know there is something wrong with everything.

quite frankly i suspect that i do better somewhere not too urban. not too crowded. too much noise/stimulation. too many things going on.

but i would not want to live in the woods. that would feel dangerous. what if someone raped me? where i live is actually ideal in that way. close enough to somewhere urban, so that i can walk there. bookstores, grocery stores, public transportation to jobs, schools, parks.