Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 12:32 pm

South Carolina Senator wants to "force" kids to argue Darwinsism. Whatever these Tea Party politicians have for brain matter, they need to use for aggregate in mixing together concrete.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... 9989/1006/

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm

Don Evangelical is saddling up for another tilt at the windmill of reality. Take that attack on in oh valiant Christian knight!

<eats popcorn>

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2014, 2:49 pm

Non sequitur: I would watch a television show titled Pimp My Evangelist.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 2:58 pm

That will either be coming to the Family Channel, Pat Robertson channel, or one of the Fox Networks. Probably be a PPV too. If they include a shooting each week the Nielson ratings will be through the roof. However the most profit can be gained.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 5:02 pm

The "teach the controversy" is getting old. Should there be equal time for alchemy lessons during chemistry class, equal time for holocaust deniers during history class, and equal time for flat-earthers during geography class?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 10:55 pm

While we're at teaching the controversy, shouldn't we then be giving time to every religion's creation myth, and not just the Judeo-Christian one?

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 4:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
While we're at teaching the controversy, shouldn't we then be giving time to every religion's creation myth, and not just the Judeo-Christian one?

It'd actually be very good. I was never religious but as I learned more about other religions and cultures it occurred stronger and stronger to me that the christian religion is just one of many. Many religious people behave as if christianity is the upper best of all that's good and that it's such a wise, right and better religion. Knowing more of the world and learning more about other religions and philosophies offers a better and broader perspective and world view. It widens the mind a bit and may make some people less zealous and arrogant. I'm all for it.

(not a native speaker)

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 4:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Why? Non of them are accepted beyond the concept of folklore. You don't see indigenous Australians demanding the teaching of dreamtime and the rainbow serpent as a rational argument against Evolution and Geology,

Mind you observing the reaction by some on this site to a comparison of creation and other theological myths would be interesting. Eg virgin births, deaths of gods and messiahs etc. Its all nonsense, but for some reason the abrahamic and buddhist ones seem to persist.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 5:26 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Why? Non of them are accepted beyond the concept of folklore. You don't see indigenous Australians demanding the teaching of dreamtime and the rainbow serpent as a rational argument against Evolution and Geology,

I read a blog by an evolutionary biologist who got yet another creationist book in the mail, trotting out the same old list of arguments, for example about radioisotope dating, about human and dinosaur footprints supposed occurring side by side, and so on. Only, since these were Hindu creationists, they used the same talking points to claim that the universe was much older than scientists thought, trillions of years, and that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time not because dinosaurs lived recently, but because the human species was very old.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 10:10 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Mind you observing the reaction by some on this site to a comparison of creation and other theological myths would be interesting. Eg virgin births, deaths of gods and messiahs etc. Its all nonsense, but for some reason the abrahamic and buddhist ones seem to persist.

Really? I once knew a Muslim convert who very much pushed the Islamic creation account when we talked.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 5:11 pm

Yes it is true that the reason such a high percentage of humanity believes in creation is because Islamists tend to believe in the creation myth. But I have not read the quran, nor the torah, It is enough for me that the abrahamic religions are very closely linked and and challenge to one version of creation is a challenge to all three. As i said I don't go around challenging The Rainbow Serpent and Dreamtime or Ranginui and Papatuanuku because these cultures see the stories as folklore and cultural tradition, not a serious challenge and alternative to th accepted laws of nature

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 6:46 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Yes it is true that the reason such a high percentage of humanity believes in creation is because Islamists tend to believe in the creation myth. But I have not read the quran, nor the torah, It is enough for me that the abrahamic religions are very closely linked and and challenge to one version of creation is a challenge to all three. As i said I don't go around challenging The Rainbow Serpent and Dreamtime or Ranginui and Papatuanuku because these cultures see the stories as folklore and cultural tradition, not a serious challenge and alternative to th accepted laws of nature

They did, and often still do, take these stories literally. And even if they didnt its beside the point. The point is that the amount of scientific evidence that supports the Mayan creation myth, or the Eskimo, or Norse, or Aborigone myth is about the same as the scientific evidence for Genisis. Which is virtually none. So if you teach Genisis in a science class then you have to teach all of the others as well.