Random noises during repetitive behaviors

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

smenon3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2014, 4:18 pm

Hey everybody I am new to the forum. How's it going?
As many of you know, people with Aspergers and/or ADHD (which I both have) have a tendency to engage in repetitive behaviors. Mine is jumping on the trampoline, or jumping around while walking. Sometimes I make grunting noises when I do these behaviors and it creeps people out and people think I'm really strange. I don't notice it for some reason. Anybody else have this happen to them?

smenon3

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 4:28 pm

Hi smenon3! Welcome to the forum :D

I can sort of relate to what you're saying. Sometimes when I am overwhelmed and tired I do things like rock from side to side, usually while standing up, and flapping my arms. I tend to make some noises when I am in this state, although I don't make them exclusively while I am doing a repetitive behavior. The noises I make are more like a wine than a grunt although there sort of a slight grunting like character to it. I don't remember creeping anyone out by this, but I also only do it at home if I am alone or just around my immediate family.

smenon3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2014, 5:18 pm

Thx ImeldaJace,

I mostly do it at home, but I must really not be noticing it at school because my friends are lately telling me to be quiet, or people are imitating me

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 6:26 pm

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's and HFA, but most people qualify me as Aspie because it was later diagnosed. I also have ADHD, and I kinda doodle and space out. I was never really hyperactive, just inattentive.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 10:16 pm

EDIT: I tried to delete this post, but I couldn't figure out how.

Last edited by ImeldaJace on 06 May 2014, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2014, 10:26 pm

Sounds like stimming to me. One of my more common forms of stimming is that I make squeaking sounds by inhaling slightly while closing off my vocal chords, producing a momentary quiet squeaking sound. It is almost as if I am checking to make sure that my vocal chords are still there. One night when I was about 16 or 17 I was in bed but not asleep and was making these barely audible squeaks when my 4 year older jock stepbrother suddenly shouted out loudly, "for God's sake, quit making those squeaking sounds". I said nothing but stopped.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 8:04 am

ImeldaJace wrote:
Hi smenon3! Welcome to the forum :D

I can sort of relate to what you're saying. Sometimes when I am overwhelmed and tired I do things like rock from side to side, usually while standing up, and flapping my arms. I tend to make some noises when I am in this state, although I don't make them exclusively while I am doing a repetitive behavior. The noises I make are more like a wine than a grunt although there sort of a slight grunting like character to it. I don't remember creeping anyone out by this, but I also only do it at home if I am alone or just around my immediate family.

I discovered that I also exhale in a sort of quick and forcefull puff out my nose when I'm in this state of being tired and overwhelmed. I also make a soft clicking sound in my throat when I do this.

Catarina935
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2014, 8:21 am

Not long ago I was at work and someone asked me, "Do you usually hum to yourself while working?" I didn't know what she was talking about until I realized that, when I try to concentrate (which is difficult, since I have both Asperger and ADHD) I do exactly that. I hadn't noticed before! I don't know if that counts as "stimming" or not...

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 8:33 am

Catarina935 wrote:
I don't know if that counts as "stimming" or not...

Huh, that's an interesting thought :chin: I've never thought of the possibility that vocalizations could be stims before. I guess that it makes sense that they would be stims now that I think about it.