Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 2:36 pm

I have to face my therapist tomorrow and last week she said I should not obsess about AS. But her suggestion on possibly having it makes me obsess, just like every other time someone suggests it. But I eventually stop obsessing after a couple weeks. But is it really wrong to obsess about stuff? Obsessing about things got me through some really tough times in life, because I had something else to focus on. Plus the amount of knowledge I have about certain things impresses people.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 2:42 pm

This is just what I feel about. I feel that obsessing about something can be ok if it doesn't interfere with things in life that need to be done. But then I guess "interfere" could mean different things to different people. I think that sometimes obsessing about something can actually be productive. But that's just what I think.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:03 pm

People tell me to stop obsessing whenever I obsess about things. I don't know if it's bad or not but I know that I can get stuck on something and then it can affect my ability to do other things. Sometimes I need someone else to step in there and give me a little kick so that I can move on.

Wreck It Ralph

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:06 pm

Obsess is probably an overused word. There's a difference in having a healthy interest in something, even if it seems odd to other people, and spending your every waking moment in your interest that you can't function at all and ignore responsibilities and other important things.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:15 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Obsess is probably an overused word. There's a difference in having a healthy interest in something, even if it seems odd to other people, and spending your every waking moment in your interest that you can't function at all and ignore responsibilities and other important things.

Usually I can't get my mind off something. Currently it is indeed AS, but I don't normally skip responsibilities, though I have done that at certain points in the past. One of the most extreme cases was obsessing over a guy so much that it clouded everything I did and he liked that and now he's my husband, lol.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:20 pm

Well, Smeagol obsessed about the one ring, and what did that get him? He lost most of his hair and spent his days skulking around in a loin-cloth until he threw himself into a volcano...you don't want that to happen to you...do you?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:25 pm

theres nothing wrong with obsessing about a condition as long as its not making self sub conciously develop it-which is why a lot of people and the medical profession say its wrong to obsess over conditions,but people on the spectrum often develop special interests in their form of ASD so as long as it doesnt have a negative effect why not?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:32 pm

Angnix wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Usually I can't get my mind off something. Currently it is indeed AS, but I don't normally skip responsibilities, though I have done that at certain points in the past. One of the most extreme cases was obsessing over a guy so much that it clouded everything I did and he liked that and now he's my husband, lol.
That's certainly a way to get a man! LOL! That's awesome.

Wreck It Ralph

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:43 pm

No way! It's fine.

Gzac95
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2014, 3:55 pm

Obsess is by definition an activity that harms normal functions, life obligations etc. However the way it is often used isn't that. So sure.

Nadakan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2014, 5:42 pm

Obsession is okay, it's only until it impacts daily life that it's not so good. I've been so incredibly OCD over various ideas and fears and thoughts that I've quit numerous jobs and almost been homeless 3 times as a consequence. That is an obvious case scenario where obsessing is detrimental at best.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 6:01 pm

Gzac95 wrote:
Obsess is by definition an activity that harms normal functions, life obligations etc. However the way it is often used isn't that. So sure.

Yeah, pretty much exactly.

If anything significantly adversely affects your daily life functions then it's harmful to you, whether it's a "voluntary" activity (perhaps like gaming) or "uncontrollable" (meaning a disability).

"Wrong" implies a moral or character deficit. Meaning Sin. Meaning Guilt.
I don't believe sin is actually possible, so my opinion is that it's not wrong.

Perhaps your therapist meant "should not obsess" to kinda mean that this idea isn't something that should be a new and significant source of worry in addition to the things you already are dealing with.
Possibly because AS or ASD is just a name, and you already have all the issues that are bugging you regardless of what it's called so naming it is just a metaphysical activity and the name alone wont cause you any addition symptoms.

On the third hand I think you should have the right to think about any thing you feel like thinking about.

Ron5442

14 May 2014, 6:18 pm

Top athletes are extremely obsessed with their sport. Top models are extremely obsessed with their looks. Astronauts are extremely obsessed with science. Yet the world considers these people extremely successful, extremely great, excellent role models and well worth emulating. And don't even get me started on rock musicians or actors.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2014, 6:53 pm

It depends what you are obsessing over. If you are obsessed with your problems then are going no where fast. You should be obsessed with your own personal success and be completely consumed with improving your self to point that nothing else stand in your way.

I just realized I am an aspie a few months ago and have definitely been obsessing over it to the point of neglecting other things lately. Is that a bad thing? No, since learning what my problems really are I have been learning how to ACTUALLY deal with them and make my self better. I have come further in the past to months than I have in my entire life and I feel like I have an entirely new life now. If you had spent nearly 30 years regretting and crying over your inabilities and WISHING things were better then found out the truth you would be obsessing over taking charge of your life to.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 11:16 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with obsessing. Obsessing is what keeps me sane. My mum has always had a problem with obsessions, because she wanted me to grow out of my AS and she thinks obsessing is something that only crazy people do. I'm glad I sent her an E-mail telling her I needed her to accept me as I am and I didn't wish to be cured. I'm sure that I must have caused her head to spin with that one, but I had to express my feelings and feelings are feelings.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 11:41 pm

Angnix wrote:
But is it really wrong to obsess about stuff?

It is wrong, and very very naughty!