why are you non-verbal/semi-verbal or had speech delay?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 11:10 pm

1024 wrote:
A related question (just out of curiosity):

Why do some autistics like to write better than to speak? (Someone has mentioned that she could speak single words but she had difficulty speaking in sentences.) You have to think in words if you type too, and guys here don't tend to words swap either. What is the difficulty in saying the words one after the other?

For reason I find writing and speaking to be two very different things. If I form a phrase in my head that I am planning on speaking, I cannot write it down and vice versa. This makes it very hard when I am working on a paper with a teacher because they always say "write down what you just said" and I can never do it. I have a lot of trouble with getting words onto paper for academic writing, but I have no trouble when I am writing things like this.

I mentioned in a post above that when I think with words it is like a narration in my head. Well writing just puts that same exact narration down into writen, or typed, words. But I have never been able to speak that narration out loud, I can only write it.

Sometimes I cannot speak coherently outloud, or outloud at all. But putting words on paper is just so different.

But that's just what it's like for me.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 11:44 pm

I was speech delayed as a child and then when I started speaking I would do it so fast the words came out a mess and jumbled and I would miss words in a sentence. But with time and a lot of therapy I became verbal, now I am willingly working my way backwards as for me being verbal is just to much of a price to pay.,

Early on I though not just with images but with my senses if touch taste smell and sound! All this told me things about where I was and what was happening and when it was. The world felt vibrant and alive as I became more. Er all I felt more detached, the world started to dull and feel dead to me, my visual memory started to decline, my visual processing started to decline and I developed more anxieties or diffrent anxiety I'm not really sure.

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 12:34 am

Speech delay to about 5.

Can't remember much from that time.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 May 2014, 1:47 am

ImeldaJace wrote:
For reason I find writing and speaking to be two very different things. If I form a phrase in my head that I am planning on speaking, I cannot write it down and vice versa. This makes it very hard when I am working on a paper with a teacher because they always say "write down what you just said" and I can never do it. I have a lot of trouble with getting words onto paper for academic writing, but I have no trouble when I am writing things like this.

I mentioned in a post above that when I think with words it is like a narration in my head. Well writing just puts that same exact narration down into writen, or typed, words. But I have never been able to speak that narration out loud, I can only write it.

Sometimes I cannot speak coherently outloud, or outloud at all. But putting words on paper is just so different.

But that's just what it's like for me.

Thank for the reply, though I'm not saying I understand completely. :) On a first thought I'd assume that if one can remember the pronunciation rules, one can algorithmically translate between written and spoken words. But I can imagine that if it is not natural for someone, doing that consciously is very difficult and slow. (Maybe like running a 3D application solely by CPU on a computer without a 3D accelerated graphics card?)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 4:20 am

As for the "why", that'd be:

Why does anyone have a delay in cognitive development?

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 5:09 am

I think this is really interesting, as some could understand it but not say it, others couldn't understand words, others could write but not speak... I want to understand it better.
why is writing so difference from speaking?
also ASdogGeek, what happens exactly with speech that it makes the world dull?

Last edited by linatet on 15 May 2014, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 10:14 am

I didn't have a speech delay, but have actually ended up getting less verbal in the last few years, which has interesting effects when it comes to self-awareness about speech.

There is a connection between speaking and sensing in many people it seems. How strong, or whether it actually comes into effect, varies, but I'e heard of this connection from many people.

Personally, I lose speech from too much sensory input, either sudden, or longer term. A sudden loud noise, might be enough that I'm unable to respond with my voice. Spending hours navigating with vision, similarly, I can't speak anymore. (Or am partially verbal.)

Too much sensory input -> nonverbal Tuttle

Writing is much easier. It's much more natural to communicate through my fingers than through my mouth. Typing is the easiest way to communicate with people. I can say things I'd not be able to otherwise by typing, even when I'm verbal. Otherwise, I'd get too confused in trying to figure out what I'm trying to say. Words flow to my fingers. They don't flow to speech.

Speech feels unnatural. It feels like this thing which basically belongs to another body, but I'm doing because I can. Typing feels natural.

But I can't always do the speech. Sometimes, its just, no, not there. It's not selective mutism (which I've also had, and which feels horrible, this lack of speech feels natural.) It's not being able to speak no matter the situation or person. It's not being able to push myself to speak, but also not being able to because there was just something I wanted to say. It's words not forming in my mind when I try to speak. It's if I go to read, them not getting to my vocal cords.

And then, take into account that speech is incredibly energy intensive for us. I didn't realize how much so until recently. I also have fibromylagia, and on my bad fatigue days, I frequently end up with the choice "you can process vision, or be verbal, you can't do both". I'm not ABLE to do both because its just so exhausting to do either, that it takes up all my spoons. So, I end up processing vision badly, and nonverbal, in order to keep myself safe, or not processing vision, but partially verbal, in order to be able to communicate verbally when I need to.

Speech is tiring. Not the moving the mouth, but actually going through and attempting to communicate in that manner instead of another one; its exhausting. Even a short period of time, of not even social situation, can lead to needing to recover just because of attempting to speak. The levels of needing to figure out everything that's going on internally. It's a lot.

Speech is HARD even for someone who's verbal.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 11:45 am

Tuttle wrote:
I didn't have a speech delay, but have actually ended up getting less verbal in the last few years, which has interesting effects when it comes to self-awareness about speech.

There is a connection between speaking and sensing in many people it seems. How strong, or whether it actually comes into effect, varies, but I'e heard of this connection from many people.

Personally, I lose speech from too much sensory input, either sudden, or longer term. A sudden loud noise, might be enough that I'm unable to respond with my voice. Spending hours navigating with vision, similarly, I can't speak anymore. (Or am partially verbal.)

Too much sensory input -> nonverbal Tuttle

Writing is much easier. It's much more natural to communicate through my fingers than through my mouth. Typing is the easiest way to communicate with people. I can say things I'd not be able to otherwise by typing, even when I'm verbal. Otherwise, I'd get too confused in trying to figure out what I'm trying to say. Words flow to my fingers. They don't flow to speech.

Speech feels unnatural. It feels like this thing which basically belongs to another body, but I'm doing because I can. Typing feels natural.

But I can't always do the speech. Sometimes, its just, no, not there. It's not selective mutism (which I've also had, and which feels horrible, this lack of speech feels natural.) It's not being able to speak no matter the situation or person. It's not being able to push myself to speak, but also not being able to because there was just something I wanted to say. It's words not forming in my mind when I try to speak. It's if I go to read, them not getting to my vocal cords.

And then, take into account that speech is incredibly energy intensive for us. I didn't realize how much so until recently. I also have fibromylagia, and on my bad fatigue days, I frequently end up with the choice "you can process vision, or be verbal, you can't do both". I'm not ABLE to do both because its just so exhausting to do either, that it takes up all my spoons. So, I end up processing vision badly, and nonverbal, in order to keep myself safe, or not processing vision, but partially verbal, in order to be able to communicate verbally when I need to.

Speech is tiring. Not the moving the mouth, but actually going through and attempting to communicate in that manner instead of another one; its exhausting. Even a short period of time, of not even social situation, can lead to needing to recover just because of attempting to speak. The levels of needing to figure out everything that's going on internally. It's a lot.

Speech is HARD even for someone who's verbal.

I didn't have speech delay and speaking doesn't feel unnatural to me.
but like you said I do think it is tiring. Like when I come home from college and I am tired I don't say a word. My family wants me to say things like: "hello, how was your day?" or "I am home" but I don't say a word when I am tired, even if they ask me questions I don't answer besides shaking my head or pointing (for instance, "what do you want, juice or water?"

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 12:27 pm

I'm a visual thinker. My speech is usually very literal and I'm often misunderstood.

I've been told I'm a far better writer than a speaker - at times I can speak eloquently, but it's a rare event and takes strong focus on my part.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 12:44 pm

I don't like listening to other people speak.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 9:28 pm

linatet wrote:
I just wanted to know, what happens in your mind? Is it that you don't think in words, or that you have trouble thinking of the words to speak, or you don't even think about speaking, or what? Can you try to explain? Thanks :)

Its like a backup on a major expressway, my mind goes haywire and a million responses are flying through my brain but i cant stop the train to get off and say something...leads to stammering, long pauses, confusion.

My speech is very limited under even the slightest stress.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 11:58 am

Not sure how to answer because I really do not know. I have never spoken a sentence and can on very rare occasion manage a largely unintelligible, severely slurred word, but mostly a grunt emerges. It is not that I will not or wish not to talk, it is that for some reason, I cannot.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 12:20 pm

I was more developmentally delayed: motor skills, speech and language (still using single word sentences past 3 years)...Technically, I am classically autistic.