Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 1:53 am

What do you think of Egotheism?

Egotheism is deification of self. Basically "I am my own God."

Egotheism is a form of Atheism since it denies the existence of outside deities. They are not to be confused with Autotheists, who bear similarities to Egotheists but are something else entirely.

I myself am an Egotheist. I believe myself to be my own God because I can learn and adapt myself to the situation - hence, I am my own God.

This is not narsicism. A narcissist would believe themselves to be God to all men. I acknowledge I may help others but in the end they are their own Gods.

Thoughts?

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 2:38 am

No man is an island.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 2:43 am

headphase wrote:
No man is an island.

I never said I was.

I merely said I have the tools to help myself. Most people believe their deities do such for them, therefore I'm merely acknowledging my God, me.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 2:45 am

So, do you fell that, no matter what, you will always be free because of your mind?

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 2:48 am

headphase wrote:
So, do you fell that, no matter what, you will always be free because of your mind?

Yes, I believe you could call it autodeterminism (No fate but what we make)

Each and every sapient being is their own God.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 2:50 am

Flagg wrote:
headphase wrote:

A much more interesting line of reasoning than pure atheism or agnosticism.

On sabbatical...

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 11:27 am

Ya, I can believe you are your own god but you are still in a universe that we are all connected to. We are "1" whether people believe it or not (the chance to feel that is there for everyone). How would this tie into things? It also does not explain 'existence' or 'creation' but rather gives "meaning" to your own life.

I'm more in belief that what goes on in my mind reflects in the "real" world. Think positive, take positive action, see positive. Think negative, take negative action, see negative. Etc. I believe it because I've done both styles. I'm going to stick with the more positive

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 8:58 pm

Corvus wrote:
Ya, I can believe you are your own god but you are still in a universe that we are all connected to. We are "1" whether people believe it or not (the chance to feel that is there for everyone). How would this tie into things? It also does not explain 'existence' or 'creation' but rather gives "meaning" to your own life.

I'm more in belief that what goes on in my mind reflects in the "real" world. Think positive, take positive action, see positive. Think negative, take negative action, see negative. Etc. I believe it because I've done both styles. I'm going to stick with the more positive

A belief that each individual is their own god is not the same as the concept of all individuals being one with God. The latter occurs in Hinduism and elsewhere, including the Sufi branch of Islam (do not confuse with the Sunni vs. Shi'a divide there are Sufi mystics from both streams). I suppose your (Corvus') positive thinking is similar to Flagg's autodeterminism (we make our own destiny). Do not other factors intervene though? The course of someone's life is influenced by other factors than their own free will. There is the free will of others around them, various factors not amenable to human will, providence (probably denied by Flagg) which is not the same as predestination/determinism etc. How are egotheism and autotheism distinct from one another, Flagg? Sorry if the association is insulting or something - I wish merely to learn.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:00 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Flagg wrote:
headphase wrote:

A much more interesting line of reasoning than pure atheism or agnosticism.

Yes it is rather more interesting a line of reasoning (no offence intended to pure atheists or agnostics). I forsee some interesting discussions.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 10:24 pm

Flagg wrote:

Egotheism is a form of Atheism since it denies the existence of outside deities. They are not to be confused with Autotheists, who bear similarities to Egotheists but are something else entirely.

I myself am an Egotheist. I believe myself to be my own God because I can learn and adapt myself to the situation - hence, I am my own God.

This is not narsicism. A narcissist would believe themselves to be God to all men. I acknowledge I may help others but in the end they are their own Gods.

Thoughts?

you just describe the church of satan.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 10:40 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Thoughts?

you just describe the church of satan.

Why do they call themselves the Church of the Adversary/Enemy/Accuser (possible translations of Hebrew Satan)?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 11:00 pm

it was a way of pissing off the christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 11:09 pm

skafather84 wrote:
it was a way of pissing off the christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

Why bother? There are already enough of my fellow Christians irritated as it is; some over issues that matter.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 11:12 pm

The Church of Satan draws its name from the mythological and cultural concepts of Satan. Satan stands as the central symbol for many different gods including Ahriman, Loki, Set, Amon, and Belial to name a few. They are all seen as symbolic of the same ideals and archetype. The Church of Satan claims that every individual can be his or her own god and is responsible for his or her own destiny. ("Satan" in their usage denotes a symbol and metaphor rather than a literal anthropomorphic deity.) People who follow this belief system are called "Satanists".

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 1:10 am

LaVey Satanism is about yourself and yourself alone. It's an animistic non-theist religion, thought it has the precepts of Egotheism it's more Nietzche then anything else.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 1:31 am

skafather84 wrote:
The Church of Satan draws its name from the mythological and cultural concepts of Satan. Satan stands as the central symbol for many different gods including Ahriman, Loki, Set, Amon, and Belial to name a few. They are all seen as symbolic of the same ideals and archetype. The Church of Satan claims that every individual can be his or her own god and is responsible for his or her own destiny. ("Satan" in their usage denotes a symbol and metaphor rather than a literal anthropomorphic deity.) People who follow this belief system are called "Satanists".

I understand the references to Ahriman (Zoroastrian equivalent of Satan, more properly Angra Mainyu) Loki (unreliable Norse fire demon of unstable allegiance switching between Aesir (gods) and Jotunn (frost-giants) and Set (Osiris' murderous brother the god of storms and the desert; not invariably evil though, helps Re against Apep/Apophis another embodiment of evil, Set was evil to his brother Osiris and nephew Horus) and Belial (Hebrew: "worthless" probably also a play on Ba'al (lord, husband - different words, Adonai and Ish exist for both) like the Be'elzebub/Be'elzeboul joke about "Lord of the Flies" parodying a more flattering title) but since when has Amon/Amun/Amen been considered Satanic? Admittedly some of my fellow Christians might regard all gods perceived as false idols as demons masquerading as deities, but why specifically Amon, the Theban god who became identified with the Sun god Re as Amen-Re? And is the reason for taking the name of Satan because they identify with his defiance of God, making himself his own deity in accordance with the principles of their church (then presumably non existent)? Admittedly tales of his fall draw heavily on Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28 which by title at least refer specifically to the King of Babylon and the Prince of Tyre respectively, but using sort of fallen-angel once the wisest most beautiful and potent of God's creations kind of language. Ha Satan "the Accuser, the Adversary," is first (though Belial is used frequently in the casual phrase son of Belial for a thoroughly rotten, foul-tempered sort of person) mentioned by name in Job (a book that seems to raise more questions than answers, but is really cool, if depressing; it mentions Behemoth and Leviathan at some length near the end - do not be fobbed off by any translation that tries to convince you that they are only a hippopotamus and a crocodile or anything - the descriptions do not quite fit). There he (Satan) apparently spends a lot of time wandering the earth, but can still come into God's presence. This whole part of the story is difficult to understand with regard to God's character. The name Lucifer (Latin "bearer of light") appears to be the result of a mistake; the Hebrew of Isaiah translates into "bright morning star, son of the dawn". "Lucifer, son of the morning" in Latin Vulgate and King James' English," apparently drawing upon an obscure Roman figure associated with the planet Venus in its role as morning star. Curiously "bright and morning star" is one of the many titles used of Jesus in Revelation along with Alpha and Omega, Beginning and the End etc. And no, I am not trying to draw any conclusions from that last part!

And for you, Quartermass: Fourth Doctor (addressing Sutekh) Your name is abominated in every civilized world, whether that name be Set, Sados or Satan.

The possessed Oud (addressing no one in particular) Some they call him Abaddon, some they call him Crom...

Abaddon is from Revelation; it is the Hebrew or Aramaic equivalent of Greek Apollyon also given there. Both names mean "the Destroyer". In Revelation described as "guardian angel of the bottomless pit/abyss". I think Abaddon may be used in original Exodus (I forget the original Hebrew title of book - I know Exodus is derived from the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament - often rendered as "angel of death" associated with death of first born.

Crom is Gaelic for "stooping, crooked" I think.