Ever have trouble putting thoughts into words?

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Naturalist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2014, 10:56 pm

It is really amazing how sluggish I can be with speech sometimes. People frequently ask what is wrong with me. It goes one of two ways: either my mind is racing and I am speaking just as fast, but saying things that seem disconnected or tangential to others; or, I have a clear idea of what I wish to say and I am struggling to connect one word to the next to communicate what I am thinking. My supervisor is very good at focusing attentively on my words when I have difficulty speaking, but most people will assume I am finished or have changed my mind about saying something and they will interrupt or change topic.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 4:01 am

Naturalist wrote:
It is really amazing how sluggish I can be with speech sometimes. People frequently ask what is wrong with me. It goes one of two ways: either my mind is racing and I am speaking just as fast, but saying things that seem disconnected or tangential to others; or, I have a clear idea of what I wish to say and I am struggling to connect one word to the next to communicate what I am thinking. My supervisor is very good at focusing attentively on my words when I have difficulty speaking, but most people will assume I am finished or have changed my mind about saying something and they will interrupt or change topic.

Your supervisor sounds like a great guy :)

MOWHAWK1982
Raven
Raven

19 May 2014, 6:44 am

StarsInMyMargarita wrote:
I was thinking about this after a customer at work yelled at me. He completely misunderstood, and as he was screaming I knew what point I had to make to make him stop, but I just didn't know how to say it. So he got away with screaming at me like I was an idiot. It's very frustrating.

I also find it's easier to write out, maybe because I don't have to try to remember what I've already said. Maybe because I'm not overwhelmed and rushed, so there's more time for thoughts to "translate." But since I don't get a reaction like I would if I were talking to someone, I have no idea how much of it actually makes sense. I have to read through it a couple times to completely untangle it.
If I try to just babble it out to myself, there's a lot of silence and "ums" and correcting and repeating. I've never listened to a recording, so I don't know if I make my point or not.

Yeah, and it is annoying as heck. :evil: That is the price for being a full fledged loner aspie. :roll: I once stand in a line before a cash machine and a dude confused position in line with line and jumped my queue. His flimsy excuse was that everybody did it that way. I failed to trounce him for that. 8O

Quote:
The only way around is to try to think in people/what's best for the group mentality. And wanting to become a part of the group.
You don't have to try to fit in the kkk kiddie group to communicate with them if prefered. Adopting someone's stupidity is not the way to go. :roll:

If there is any non-conformistic not whining aspie out there whose self worth is independend from the NT view. Let's get to know each other. :D

Last edited by MOWHAWK1982 on 19 May 2014, 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

CJH123
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2014, 6:48 am

Its easier for me to write than speak it out but yes its very hard to explain, that's why I having trouble thinking of how I would describe my feelings and behavors (say with my Imaginary Wife, coping mechanism etc) In a book that i would hope to write someday.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2014, 7:24 am

Yes, both in speech and in writing. It's been the cause of many meltdowns, some self-injurious, yet professionals consistently deny it or blame it on anxiety. *HEADDESK* They don't realize that although my speech sounds skilled, it's very often not what I actually want to say, and part of why I'm so verbose sometimes is because I can't phrase things succinctly. So, I talk on and on to clarify what should probably be said in a sentence or two. I really want speech therapy, but I'm having a hard time finding someone who will even believe that my problems come from autism, let alone be able to help me.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 8:13 am

Unequivocally yes.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 10:26 am

Addressing the original post: I definately do the same thing; and, I do better with writing----I guess it's because we Aspies, generally speaking, are visual people. I also feel that our not being able to verbally form thoughts easily, makes us what we are called so often: "really honest". It's just much easier to say, "straight-up", what we are feeling----it takes alot of work to think-up a lie---at least, an "on-the-spot" lie. My sister teases me, to this day, about being a really bad liar. I can lie for ya, but you'll have to give me a couple of days notice, so I can really learn it----practice it----and it's exhausting, like every other behavior I've had to learn.

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

19 May 2014, 11:20 am

I'm not very good at speech either, I have trouble saying what I want to say right off the bad and yes it has led to social anxiety yet still when I talk to friends I have no S.A around I still can't push words out very fast like some people, I can try but it will come out jumbled and unfinished, the worst comes out when my friend wants to have an impromptu rhyming aloud session with me.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 11:25 am

Verdandi wrote:
Every day

My language expression decrease for nouns might be from untreated seizures?