Has anybody ever met an actual Sociopath?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:00 am

Yes, I have and got completely tricked by them too. Years later - he admits he is one, as well as his father before him. My impression now is that these types are 'Janus', they know how to lie and simply have no compunction, none.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:05 am

That's being pretty rough on snakes,I'd rather have a snakes in my house any day over a sociopath. :D
Years ago when my ex was trying to get disability, he got his records from when he was briefly in the state hospital,I snuck a peek at them.He was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder,so I spent years being married to one.He could lie and manipulate like no one I have ever met.
On a funny note,there was a comment that the rest of the patients found his behavior so provoking that they ganged up on him and he had to be put in the quiet room for his own safety :lol:
They never change,they can't.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:16 am

^
Misslizard, I'd rather have a snake too. :) I was married to the sociopath which I mentioned, but for 1&3/4 years - only I had to deal with 'it' for much longer due to the kid. Sociopaths are to be avoided because once contact is made it is very difficult to 'un-glue' them.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:30 am

Yes, I have. For some reason, probably childhood experiences, he set me on edge, I was the only one who verbalised mistrust within the affected group. He done many grandiose gestures, and on some level did try to be a good guy, everyone trusted him. I conformed with the view that he was decent, and guess what.... Huge mistake. I don't feel comfortable discussing the experience, suffice to say he ruined many lives for a small benefit to himself. He moved on and has done it repeatedly to new people.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:31 am

^^That's true,we've been divorced for years and he still has some crazy notion we will get back together,it's bizarre.There is no way to completely sever ties if you share kids,I'm thankful he doesn't live nearby,but he pops up about once a month to visit our son and he stays there.He just recently stole a pair of binoculars off my porch and gave them to,of all people,our son.I'm missing some other items also.I think he showed up here when I wasn't home and performed operation"spot and steal."
The next time he is in town I'm hiding my car in the field and laying in wait for him.

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

22 May 2014, 10:33 am

I know a friend of a family member who I think may be a sociopath but I also think maybe he has bad anxiety as well or it could be that he has both, I don't know it's hard to imagine a sociopath with anxiety disorder but maybe?

I don't let him near my things, and neither does the rest of the family, he's very charming and he can lie to you while looking you in the eye and take you things while your in the same room with him, however I still consider them a friend in a somewhat weird way even though I would never let him in my home or close to anything I cared about. I think he's fascinating because we both have similar experiences with feeling nothing at times, and we have similar interests. I think he knows I don't really trust him with anything, not sure if he cares or not.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 10:52 am

Amity wrote:
Yes, I have. For some reason, probably childhood experiences, he set me on edge, I was the only one who verbalised mistrust within the affected group. He done many grandiose gestures, and on some level did try to be a good guy, everyone trusted him. I conformed with the view that he was decent, and guess what.... Huge mistake. I don't feel comfortable discussing the experience, suffice to say he ruined many lives for a small benefit to himself. He moved on and has done it repeatedly to new people.

WOOF, that sounds familiar. (in discussing things with a more intelligent friend of mine, I was introduced to the term 'gaslighting', that was him to a T.)

There are some older threads on the forums that I found shortly after joining, showing how those on the spectrum can tend to be perfect targets for these types of people, playing on our awkwardness and lack of natural perceptions, and our fragile egos and our cluelessly honest natures.
A lot of good support, encouraging people to trust their instincts rather than accepting blame for this. Fascinating reading that has certainly readjusted my views on my life and relationships.

As the mod says on the previous page, they have no compunction about rewriting history and getting people on their side. Activities which honestly did not occur to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 1:27 pm

A guy I grew up with mightve been. Knew him from junior high through college. Havent seen him for years.

He was a thrillseeker, drug user, and womanizer.
I suspect that he probably had adhd. He was very manipulative. Which in retrospect made me wonder if he was a sociopath.

Not sure he was really a textbook sociopath or not. But he was certainly a singular individual.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:57 am

AdamAutistic wrote:
i met one once. he pretended to date me to get free stuff.

he also tried to turn me against all of my loved ones.

He tried to turn you against your loved ones so he could control you more effectively.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:00 am

A sociopath can't put on an act for too, too long because it's simply exhausting for them. When that painful need for immediate gratification comes along, you'll see their true colors. They are attracted to crime because it's an access to quick, easy money. Sociopaths are not patient people.
Some of them seem to be too good to be true - that's because they are not!! They'll be whatever you want them to be in order to get what they want. Once they get it, it's like the high from a powerful drug.... and they're addicted. They're not givers, they're takers. They have BIG egos. Egos that need constant feeding.

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 23 May 2014, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2014, 8:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
A guy I grew up with mightve been. Knew him from junior high through college. Havent seen him for years.

He was a thrillseeker, drug user, and womanizer.
I suspect that he probably had adhd. He was very manipulative. Which in retrospect made me wonder if he was a sociopath.

Not sure he was really a textbook sociopath or not. But he was certainly a singular individual.

It sounds like he could've been one, but the drugs might've manifested his behavioral patterns as well. Did he take one that's as mild as Marijuana or as strong as Cocaine?

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:20 am

Misslizard wrote:
That's being pretty rough on snakes,I'd rather have a snakes in my house any day over a sociopath. :D
Years ago when my ex was trying to get disability, he got his records from when he was briefly in the state hospital,I snuck a peek at them.He was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder,so I spent years being married to one.He could lie and manipulate like no one I have ever met.
On a funny note,there was a comment that the rest of the patients found his behavior so provoking that they ganged up on him and he had to be put in the quiet room for his own safety :lol:
They never change,they can't.

Too bad the gang couldn't get at him! Their number one manipulation is to divide and conquer.
Some people think that aspie qualities call them over to abuse us. It's only partly that. It's our solitude that attracts them over to us. That means we have nobody to protect us - perfect targets for them. We can always learn what to look out for but there's nothing like a protective posse.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:23 am

Misslizard wrote:
^^That's true,we've been divorced for years and he still has some crazy notion we will get back together,it's bizarre.There is no way to completely sever ties if you share kids,I'm thankful he doesn't live nearby,but he pops up about once a month to visit our son and he stays there.He just recently stole a pair of binoculars off my porch and gave them to,of all people,our son.I'm missing some other items also.I think he showed up here when I wasn't home and performed operation"spot and steal."
The next time he is in town I'm hiding my car in the field and laying in wait for him.

Hopefully someone will shoot him right in the head.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:26 am

WhatHazard wrote:
I know a friend of a family member who I think may be a sociopath but I also think maybe he has bad anxiety as well or it could be that he has both, I don't know it's hard to imagine a sociopath with anxiety disorder but maybe?

I don't let him near my things, and neither does the rest of the family, he's very charming and he can lie to you while looking you in the eye and take you things while your in the same room with him, however I still consider them a friend in a somewhat weird way even though I would never let him in my home or close to anything I cared about. I think he's fascinating because we both have similar experiences with feeling nothing at times, and we have similar interests. I think he knows I don't really trust him with anything, not sure if he cares or not.

Why do you bother with this person?? The only anxiety he's feeling is the fact that you know what he is. They don't like to be found out.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:33 am

alpineglow wrote:
Yes, I have and got completely tricked by them too. Years later - he admits he is one, as well as his father before him. My impression now is that these types are 'Janus', they know how to lie and simply have no compunction, none.

The guilt-free lying comes straight from the fact that they feel superior to all. Guilt is taught - its real weight stems from the possibility of punishment from a greater faculty. If a person feels superior, he only has to answer to himself. If anyone has noticed, I posted quite a bit about this - my father was a narcissistic sociopath. I know their ways very well. I hate them and wish they'd all die from parasites that prey ONLY on them.

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

23 May 2014, 11:41 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
WhatHazard wrote:

Why do you bother with this person?? The only anxiety he's feeling is the fact that you know what he is. They don't like to be found out.

I only bother with him because he's somewhat a part of the extended family, kind of half-assedly adopted into it so I can't avoid him all the time though I usually do for long, long periods. If he wasn't I would have nothing to do with him. The entire family knows he's like this and it's no secret; he lives with some of them but doesn't cause much trouble for them because they keep a close eye on him, I think he mostly stays with them out of convenience, it may not end well for them in the long run but I have no say in it. He has no clue I think he may be a sociopath, he only knows I won't let him near my things or house but I think I'm far enough out of his circle that it doesn't matter to him and I play dumb and boring while he's around (usually when I visit said families house) so he doesn't get anything of use from me. For all I know he may have horrible anxiety which can make a person look like a sociopath, he also had a terrible childhood from what I've gathered and that could cause him to act out, I'm not proper doctor so I don't claim to know what the hell his issue really is, I think it's interesting but I also don't care that much.