Has anybody ever met an actual Sociopath?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2014, 11:55 am

I have met some before who have admitted to having it with actual proof, and it's intriguing speaking to a Sociopath. These weren't ones who would commit crimes as they knew what the consequences was (Sociopaths are often highly intelligent so a lot can avoid prison, and a fair chunk don't even have issues with the law). They were well aware of how they were (yes, Sociopaths can be aware that they're Sociopaths) but they felt happy that they were (they have emotions that are different). It was cool meeting them. So have you ever met an actual Sociopath? If it was a negative encounter then please elaborate on what happened.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 12:11 pm

I've had the misfortune to work for several in my career.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 12:28 pm

I'm not too sure what I would be looking out for.

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2014, 12:49 pm

babybird wrote:

Like Autistics and most other disorders, they generally appear normal as there's no established physical appearance. They even act normally most of the time as Sociopaths are characters (1 in 25 have Antisocial Personality Disorder, so it's not rare). Here are the signs of a Sociopath:

1. They never feel guilt about who they hurt, and some are proud of it. The only time that they'd care is if they'd lose something that they'd want (so they wouldn't really care about the person).
2. They're often fast talking compulsive liars but are good at making things that seem bizarre sound very real.
3. They love manipulating people for cash or other things.
4. They don't care about others and have no desire for actual friends ever unless they have something to offer they can use so they can take advantage of them and backstabbing them.
5. You can't offend one like you can offend a Narcissist as they'd just write the person off as being inferior.
6. They rarely ever change (if ever).
7. They're intelligent and love power.
8. 1 in 5 criminals are Sociopaths.
9. They always blame others for their mistakes and never learn from them.
10. They can either be passive aggressive towards everybody or project their rage/hate onto others frequently.
11. They think that they're superior to everybody (like Narcissists).

They're often businessmen, door to door salesmen (this job is perfect for them), drug dealers, inventors, game show hosts/contestants (I think that a lot of antagonists are actual Sociopaths) and politicians.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 1:09 pm

Oh right. well that fit's probably most people who I've ever known.

I just thought that was normal for people.

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2014, 1:20 pm

babybird wrote:
Oh right. well that fit's probably most people who I've ever known.

I just thought that was normal for people.

Sociopaths have a brain defect that makes them permanently this way. A person whose not Sociopathic is capable of learning. Sociopaths are generally incapable of changing, even if they say they do (it's actually a classic trick).

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 7:59 pm

i met one once. he pretended to date me to get free stuff.

he also tried to turn me against all of my loved ones.

Last edited by AdamAutistic on 22 May 2014, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 8:08 pm

Grew up with one (adoptive mother, malignant narcissist) and had a manager who totally qualified.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 9:44 pm

One of my best friends from elementary school through relatively recently is a text book sociopath, in that he really only views other people as means unto ends. As far as being friends with him goes, what this means is that you don't lend him money and you don't let your female friends date him without a warning, but it doesn't make him a bad person or anything, he didn't choose to be how he is.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 10:01 pm

i know of someone like that. he's either a sociopath or narcissist. he's messed up a few lives. my dad says he'd make a good lawyer with the skill he defends himself. that or a good salesman the way he manipulates others.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 2:56 am

seahawksfan46 wrote:
babybird wrote:

Like Autistics and most other disorders, they generally appear normal as there's no established physical appearance. They even act normally most of the time as Sociopaths are characters (1 in 25 have Antisocial Personality Disorder, so it's not rare). Here are the signs of a Sociopath:

1. They never feel guilt about who they hurt, and some are proud of it. The only time that they'd care is if they'd lose something that they'd want (so they wouldn't really care about the person).
2. They're often fast talking compulsive liars but are good at making things that seem bizarre sound very real.
3. They love manipulating people for cash or other things.
4. They don't care about others and have no desire for actual friends ever unless they have something to offer they can use so they can take advantage of them and backstabbing them.
5. You can't offend one like you can offend a Narcissist as they'd just write the person off as being inferior.
6. They rarely ever change (if ever).
7. They're intelligent and love power.
8. 1 in 5 criminals are Sociopaths.

I think you watch too much criminal minds. This looks more like a list of your opinions of what a sociopath is from what you watch and read. I just see too many of your words in this description. You may be partially correct. I would say I am borderline socopath but the majority of your description does not even come close to describing me.
9. They always blame others for their mistakes and never learn from them.
10. They can either be passive aggressive towards everybody or project their rage/hate onto others frequently.
11. They think that they're superior to everybody (like Narcissists).

They're often businessmen, door to door salesmen (this job is perfect for them), drug dealers, inventors, game show hosts/contestants (I think that a lot of antagonists are actual Sociopaths) and politicians.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 2:59 am

You forgot to add lawyers!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 3:16 am

Well I don't think it's fair to label someone a sociopath anyway, just because of what career path they choose.

As long as you're not harming anyone, who cares?

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 7:48 am

I seriously suspect that a dude I dated was one. Luckily he wasn't very sophisticated in his 'tricks' so I saw many red flags quite early on. Of course I'm not a psychiatrist so I'm not entirely sure but I have many reasons to suspect it, and even if he's not a sociopath he has many (startling) traits and there's definitely something going on anyway, making him an undesirable partner.

(not a native speaker)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 7:56 am

I suspect one of my "friends" at college many years ago was a sociopath. He was always friendly and apparently helpful and quite charming with everyone. Then one day some things disappeared out of my college bag. I had a gut feeling it was him who'd stolen the items and I gained access to his locker and found my stuff there! I confronted him about the theft but he played the part of the injured person because I'd been in his locker. Somehow he managed to turn several people against me and even got some of them to believe (falsely) that I'd stolen one of his expensive text books. I had nothing to do with him after that; the guy was a manipulative snake.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:00 am

Yes, I have and got completely tricked by them too. Years later - he admits he is one, as well as his father before him. My impression now is that these types are 'Janus', they know how to lie and simply have no compunction, none.