Does the main character on bones have aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 12:35 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
My mom excitedly told me I had to watch the show because "she's just like you!"

yep my sister is crazy about Bones and says I am just like Temperance too :D

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 4:21 am

Bones is on the spectrum or has significantly related traits. The fact she is like us but managed to have success gives us a hero to aspire to. The same with most neurotypical heroes. They're idealized too. Are most neurotypicals Booth? Nah. It's okay though. Being a little perfect doesn't ruin what they stand for.

Personally I love the show.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:41 pm

What Emily Deschanel would have changed about Bones' Dr. Brennan

Quote:
Among a host of other procedural crime dramas, Bones stands out with its emphasis on dissecting forensic evidence and its science-minded, unusually blunt protagonist, Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan (Emily Deschanel). While Deschanel never thought the show would last so long, after 12 seasons Brennan came to mean a lot to her, in no small part because of how the character inspired fans and represented them. But, she told Entertainment Weekly, if the show had been on cable, Brennan would have been a little different.

Bones centers on the crime solving duo of forensic anthropologist Brennan and FBI agent Seeley Booth (David Boreanaz), who are often at odds with each other over their differing personalities. He is known for his religious beliefs, emotional viewpoint, and people skills. Meanwhile, she is known for her high intelligence, logical thinking, issues with empathy, and social awkwardness. As it happens, most of these qualities are reminiscent of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which Deschanel said the character would have had if the show hadn't been on a network.

While the cast of Bones has since moved on to other things, Deschanel loved playing a woman in science who was "not shy about telling people about her brilliance," she told EW. Her favorite thing is hearing about how Bones inspired teenage girls to pursue science. But she added that on top of being independent, free-thinking, powerful, and successful, Brennan was also not so great at social interactions.

"If it was a cable show, she would have had Asperger's," Deschanel said. "I've heard from younger people who are on the spectrum or have Asperger's themselves that they loved seeing a character who was not dissimilar from them portrayed on television, so that makes me happy to represent that. I know we weren't truly representing someone with Asperger's exactly, but there are qualities that Brennan has."

As a genius who represents some ASD symptoms but doesn't ever have an actual diagnosis, Temperance Brennan has good company with the likes of The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper and Criminal Minds' Spencer Reid. Deschanel told EW she discussed it with Bones series creator Hart Hanson. However, according to the newspaper The Star-Ledger, while Hanson based Brennan off of his friend with ASD, they did not diagnose her onscreen in order to appeal to a broader network audience.

Certain fans were undoubtedly going to be upset with either decision, and Bones debuted at a time when such a portrayal would have been both groundbreaking and a huge risk. Even years after the series wrapped, there are still several things fans wish the show had done differently. On this particular item, Emily Deschanel agrees.

At the time the show ran I was undiagnosed and I did see a lot of parallels between Dr. Brennan and myself. The media did speculate she had Aspergers. I did say to myself "I probably have Aspergers" but it never rose beyond the level of mildly interesting to me. I had no grasp of its importance.

If the show was just starting out in 2020 she would likely be labeled Autistic. That is progress.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman