Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 10:49 am

JoelFan wrote:
Every so often I find my self filling out one for a local walmart the managers I normally talk with ensure me that having past experience with the company is a plus as well as customer service experience is also a BIG plus which should put me head and shoulders above the rest however when I complete the online app I call the store within a week to find out that according to their system I'm not a match I understand their need to streamline things by using such a program I have had NO luck getting to the next step and it's not like I'm putting down I have Autism or I'm Autistic but high functioning where that would cast some doubt in a persons mind I just fill it out the best I can and I get shot down kinda discouraging same goes for Best Buy I know about Televisions in and out I know what's on the forefront and I know how to make the pitches but again their system kicks me out I'm beginning to thing that there's no hope for me finding a stable job that pays and offers some type of benefits :cry:

Yeah it's frustrating when your qualified for a job but you can get an interview because of the keywords you choosed. I've learned a tip though, I heard if you include some of the words that the job description has, you'll have a better chance of getting an interview.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 10:50 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
We were hiring some temp student workers for the summer and we could not hire the perfect candidate because he did not get matched up by the computer because he did not technically meet the criteria 100%. Such total BS! I got weeded out by these f**ing things every single time without exception and only got hired where I am because I got lucky by saying the right buzzwords.

That's unfortunate for both your company and the candidates that were qualified.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 9:49 am

infilove wrote:
Yeah I have to say it is somewhat of an advantage when it's a company with several jobs, that you can quickly re-apply. However there's the possibility that the company may not consider you as a candidate for other positions if you they didn't consider you for one.

You have a point when it comes to companies that have several applicants a day. It would be hard having 100s of day, it would take a lot of work, time, and money.

Ah, the same company but different departments... ;) Say, the Planning department of a company has three openings... I would apply to one of them, because, as you say, either they'll want me or they won't.
BUT, then I would also apply for an opening in Facilities, an opening in IT, an opening in Telecom and possibly one in a data governance type department. So, as long as I get past the HR checkboxes for requirements, then the filters are different based upon the hiring manager for the respective departments.
I couldn't get in with IT or data governance in my current job, but, I had the qualities the VP over Facilities was looking for.

~nodding~ HR is one of those overhead departments that don't earn money for a company and cannot ramp up staffing for themselves the same way a revenue generating department can, in most cases.