Constant correction of wording in simple conversation.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DashboardLogic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2014, 1:23 am

I know of a few people who do this to me all the time. I say one thing, choose one word incorrectly, or at least incorrect as in does not agree wit their exact ideas at the moment and... corrected out loud for wording. Its a tricky thing to really try to explain, particularly on a keyboard, but it is amount to drive me straight into Nuts-Ville. (population; me) I can of course see correcting something that is obviously mispronounced, or just plain misused, maybe some misplaced fact of downright ridiculous way of explaining a concept. Everyone does that, including myself of course. I'm speaking more of being corrected for a word or idea that is considered wrong only because it does not agree with the opinion of another person.

Quite recently for instance, in a conversation about budgeting, finances, and spending habits of people in general, I made the (presumably) simple comment "It's not a horrible thing if something is broke 6 days before payday as long as..." Nope. Wrong thing to say. Never okay, and not right. Corrected for my chose of words and the number of days. Never mind that I was about to finish it up with a logical "as long as expenses are covered and there is food on hand," right before being corrected in the exact tone and approach one might well use had I said the sky was purple, or that cows lay eggs, or some other clearly incorrect fact. Since we were discussing something that tends to be more a matter of personal opinion, wouldn't simply saying they disagree be better? I wouldn't be concerned over this if it only happened once. But this is something that happens on a very regular basis. barely one conversation goes by anymore without these same individuals correcting opinions as fact, and actually being quite nasty and petty about it.

Most recently in an effort to put a stop to this the best way I knew how, I actually made a point of searching for the right words to use (in this case a term for someone who is longer a friend.) At that point I was told in no uncertain terms that I was being silly and immature in my response to the corrections. I understand that most of this is quite obviously just plain petty on the part of the others involved. However that's also quite beside the point I think. I still dont understand what to do to get their behavior to stop. I dont really want to do nothing and just keep getting corrected if if my own opinions are wrongly spoken fact either, because that makes just as little sense.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 1:49 am

hiya Dash :) welcome to the club 8) I don't understand people at all. :?

DashboardLogic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2014, 1:58 am