Working as a health care assitant in a mental health hospita

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

funky93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2014, 7:50 am

I just got the above job and I am so excited but from an Aspie point of view will I be able to do it? I will work with some people with mental health problems and murderers I am also worried at how seeing things will affect me any ideas? I have always really wanted to do this job. It will also be the first job I am not wworking with a family member

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 7:55 am

My advice is to be careful not to be too judgemental, also keep your wits about you. You may well get a better insight into the mind than most people through working at a mental hospital.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 12:31 pm

Having worked in bioinformatics, one thing I must say is this; prepare for Micro$oft OVERLOAD. I think as work environments go, you can't do much better regarding HFA, although you'll be dealing with many PCs and lots of homework. I'm not in technological medicine anymore, however I suggest that you keep a Windows 7 PC at home dedicated as a reference to all the single-purpose machines you encounter. I'm a sysadmin and even I've had to take many measures lately in the interests of keeping up with messaging and maintaining working analogues of common equipment.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 1:18 pm

I recently attended a seminar by two people: one was a social worker and the other worked at a psychiatric hospital/prison. One of them said one thing that really stood out to me. To paraphrase:

"I worked with many violent inmates: pedophiles, rapists and murderers: all the really bad people. I also worked with many difficult coworkers. I actually got along better with the bad guys because I can understand them. Many were abused, mistreated, outcast and have mental health issues but were reasonable and easy to deal with when I spoke to them in a calm manner. My difficult coworkers were just lazy, inconsiderate jerks for no reason."

You might find like I did living near a mental hospital that many of the "crazy" people aren't so crazy after all. Many have sad and heartbreaking stories and it's understandable why they act the way they do even if I don't personally agree with it. I also remember as a kid having to get an Xray done at the mental hospital because the children's hospital was booked up and I was scared to death. I had no issue whatsoever from anyone there, staff or patient. In fact, ironically enough many of the "violent" people are more victims than they are criminals.

funky93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2014, 2:27 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I recently attended a seminar by two people: one was a social worker and the other worked at a psychiatric hospital/prison. One of them said one thing that really stood out to me. To paraphrase:

"I worked with many violent inmates: pedophiles, rapists and murderers: all the really bad people. I also worked with many difficult coworkers. I actually got along better with the bad guys because I can understand them. Many were abused, mistreated, outcast and have mental health issues but were reasonable and easy to deal with when I spoke to them in a calm manner. My difficult coworkers were just lazy, inconsiderate jerks for no reason."

You might find like I did living near a mental hospital that many of the "crazy" people aren't so crazy after all. Many have sad and heartbreaking stories and it's understandable why they act the way they do even if I don't personally agree with it. I also remember as a kid having to get an Xray done at the mental hospital because the children's hospital was booked up and I was scared to death. I had no issue whatsoever from anyone there, staff or patient. In fact, ironically enough many of the "violent" people are more victims than they are criminals.

Thanks for both of your replies wow your second one is interesting . I have never been in a mental health hosipital but I guess I feel as though I am one of them being an Aspie haha probably wont get along with my collegues.

I have wanted to do this for so long at the time I only thought I had anxiety I guess my diagnosis has made more wary about if I could do it or not, but after all we are all just the personality that asperger saw in himself nothing wrong with that I guess. Hopefully just normal job worries :S

cowboys22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2014, 3:29 am

Congratulations on getting the job! I've been in psych wards several times because in addition to having autism I have paranoid schizophrenia. Psych wards are generally pretty mellow, but sometimes there is commotion which is dealt with quite quickly. As a mental health worker you do have to be good with empathy or at least have good sympathy. Mental health aides usually take vitals, but they also comfort and talk to the patients as well. Generally people in the psych ward are rather nice and if not they get sectioned if they are considered a threat. I hope you enjoy your job :)