Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm

I normally get asked if I'm okay when I'm spacing out. I find it hard to communicate when I space out. This often makes me seem way less okay than I actually am. When I say that I am okay they often assume that I'm not okay and continue to ask.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 6:50 pm

emtyeye wrote:
smudge wrote:
I want to know...how do you answer, "What's up?"? What are they asking you, exactly? I never know how to respond to it.

Even though stated as an interrogative, "What's up?" is not really a question. It is just a way of saying, "Hi!". So any greeting that is comfortable to you is a good answer.

Examples of answers to "What's up?"
"Hi!"
"Hey, man, how you doing?" (also not a real question)
"Hi, How are you?"
"Just chillin', what's up with you?"
"Hey, s'up bro! How's it going?"

After this, it becomes more challenging: what to say next.....?

Thanks. :) I thought, "How're you doing?" was another way of asking how someone is. As for what to say next, I guess anything random that comes to mind, as long as you don't feel awkward when you're saying it.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm

smudge wrote:
emtyeye wrote:
smudge wrote:
I want to know...how do you answer, "What's up?"? What are they asking you, exactly? I never know how to respond to it.

Even though stated as an interrogative, "What's up?" is not really a question. It is just a way of saying, "Hi!". So any greeting that is comfortable to you is a good answer.

"Hi!"
"Hi, How are you?"

Thanks. :) I thought, "How're you doing?" was another way of asking how someone is. As for what to say next, I guess anything random that comes to mind, as long as you don't feel awkward when you're saying it.

"What's up" always made me uncomfortable, I also thought that when someone asked "what's up" it meant they wanted to know what I had been doing lately. But I have also learned (by experience, when I worked at an office) that when people say "how are you doing" they don't really want to know, you're supposed to just say "good thank you", or just "hi" I guess. But if I say "how are you doing" I actually do mean "how are you doing", not just "hi".

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 11:34 am

^ Me too.

Niche99
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2014, 11:13 pm

I've been ask by many people this question as well...
Whenever they see me not smiling or staring off into space, they always ask if I'm ok or alright

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2014, 1:01 am

I would always get asked that by women who I found attractive. Total confidence blower. I figured they found me gazing at them a little too long but didn't understand why...I feel that they might have been attracted to me as well in alot of those cases but I just didn't behave the way they would expect a guy to behave in those types of situations.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 1:08 am

People ask me this all the time, and it drives me nuts. Usually I can't come up with a good answer, and since it catches me off guard most of the time, it just ends up pissing me off. I know other people are concerned about me, but c'mon, what happened to just leaving people be?

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 2:07 am

Shadi2 wrote:
smudge wrote:
emtyeye wrote:
smudge wrote:

"Hi!"
"Hi, How are you?"

"What's up" always made me uncomfortable, I also thought that when someone asked "what's up" it meant they wanted to know what I had been doing lately. But I have also learned (by experience, when I worked at an office) that when people say "how are you doing" they don't really want to know, you're supposed to just say "good thank you", or just "hi" I guess. But if I say "how are you doing" I actually do mean "how are you doing", not just "hi".

I have also always dislike the question "What's up?" for the reason that if something is "up" in other non-literal ways, it often means something is suspicious or off color somehow. Like if someone said, "I heard them talking, and it sounds like something is up." This would probably not be referring to a good thing.

So to be asked as a greeting, "What's up?" has always left me feeling that the other person perhaps does not trust me, or thinks I am "up" to something. But I think I am wrong, and it is just an expression people use sometimes without really thinking about all the implications and other such minutia that those of here would obsesses over.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:18 am

My guess is that you may have a blank "expressionless" facial expression and people interpret that as sad/worried/anxious etc.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2014, 10:16 am

Pfft, heck no. A teacher yelled at me for smiling once, though! The uptight, miserable jerks around here walk around with default facial expressions ranging from "just sniffed poop" to "about to snap and kill someone." My Aspie pokerface probably looks downright cheerful to them!

SOMEONE GET ME OUT OF HERE. :cry:

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2014, 12:28 pm

I used to get this asked all the time by my maths tutor and my teachers? "Are you ok?"

It turned out because I would look so nervous and frightened without meaning to. :lol: I don't know if I still do this though. :?

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 4:08 pm

I get asked this a lot too but do you know the one thing I've noticed is? It's only the people who care about you who ask this. That's what I've noticed! I don't think the rest give a toss!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 12:11 am

When people ask me "what's up?" I tell them it's a Disney movie.

Nurse_Bill
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2014, 12:45 am

Most people ask this in response to body language or facial expression. Apparently NT's think you're in a bad mood unless your facial expression and body language reflect otherwise. My kids and wife have learned to ask "What are you thinking" instead. It prevents them from misreading my body language or facial expressions and assuming I am mad at them. It doesn't work overly well in a job enviormnment though. I've lost jobs because co-workers thought I was pouting or sulking whn in reality I was just deeply pre-occupied with a work related task

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2014, 1:55 pm

I get asked this question all the time by people who I am talking to, due to the fact that I have a habit of getting very quiet when I don't have anything to say or don't know the right way to respond to a question. Sometimes I start thinking about something when I'm in a social setting with a group of people and lose my focus, and that causes them to ask if I'm okay also.

FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 5:25 pm

A lot of people tend to ask me this for the simple reason that I don't smile as much as they think I should. It's incredibly annoying.