Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 4:11 am

What makes aspergers 'more' visible in people?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 5:05 am

lack of coping skills,lower IQ [not intelectual disability as AS doesnt allow for ID by default], mental health conditions that lower all round tolerance for people/sensory/information, personality disorders that mimick aspergers- sometimes ontop of aspergers itself, brain injury that can mimick aspergers-sometimes ontop of aspergers itself, lack of self and social awareness,upbringing etc.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 11:55 pm

^^^ That pretty much sums it up.

In addition, at least for me anyway, the social deficits are a little less severe to begin with, so that other people might not notice anything different right away. Also, I don't have a monotone voice. I have difficulty with volume, and sometimes I use the wrong intonations, but my voice sounds pretty "normal" which I think can make a difference occasionally.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2014, 2:12 am

Stimming can be a big give away.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 2:22 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
lack of coping skills,lower IQ [not intelectual disability as AS doesnt allow for ID by default], mental health conditions that lower all round tolerance for people/sensory/information, personality disorders that mimick aspergers- sometimes ontop of aspergers itself, brain injury that can mimick aspergers-sometimes ontop of aspergers itself, lack of self and social awareness,upbringing etc.

Exactly this post.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Jun 2014, 2:34 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
Stimming can be a big give away.

This is me. :lol:

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2014, 5:30 am

Also, added to the above list, with me at least: Having a different way of operating or operating system from the 'normal'.

I don't do things the way others do, and people notice that.

I get the same thing done, but I do it in a different way, ranging from slightly to extremely. With just about everything i do from the way I walk and observe at things, to how I approach, carry out and finish a task.

It gets noticed if anyone is looking, and if I am not going stealth by pretending to act normal.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 5:36 am

...As far as " coming off autistic " I once got told by someone who I was sharing a crowded public situation with (I go into more detail on another post .) that , when he came into that situation and saw me from afar , he thought I came off like someone with Aspergers' ` he lives in a house where a 21-yr old in the house is AS , so...........

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 5:37 am

...Making sure I checked " Notify " :P .

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 5:58 am

Being seen out in public reading factual material alongside the look of surprise as though you just landed in from another planet on another persons face when they ask you if you are formerly studying something and you reply with "no, just reading this for my own entertainment" in response to them.

Anyone would think reading non fiction books was unheard of outside of educational establishments.

Although that look of suprise doesn't even compare to the one you get when you openly admit to enjoying writing essays and sitting exams...that look is priceless to say the least.

But not as priceless as the look on the face of close relatives who know you well when you are about to enter into a china shop. I think it's the sudden draining of all colour in their faces that amuses me...People used to ask if I'd rather wait outside so prone was I when it came to walking into things or knocking stuff over. They looked like they were about to have a stroke or some kind of cardiac event.

I used to tease them by pretending to enter then coming back out again,...I'm in, I'm out, I'm in, I'm out....their expression alternated nicely between upcoming cardiac event and relief each time I stepped in an out of the entrance lol.

Used to amuse me no end. But then so did putting my hand through the bars of the Monkey cage at the zoo when the sign said not to, especially if the Monkeys were no where near me and according to my calculations would not be able to reach my hand before I had pulled it out again.

So tell me again sign, when the monkeys can't catch me, why I shouldn't stick my hand through the bars...

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 2:29 pm

bumble wrote:
Being seen out in public reading factual material alongside the look of surprise as though you just landed in from another planet on another persons face when they ask you if you are formerly studying something and you reply with "no, just reading this for my own entertainment" in response to them.

Anyone would think reading non fiction books was unheard of outside of educational establishments.

Funny you'd bring that up. People look at me weird for reading non-fiction books all the time. I don't know why anyone cares in the first place.