Wrong Planet-checking browser to enter.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2014, 11:39 am

Recently whenever I try to come to www.wrongplanet.net, before I can enter I get this message that says my browser is being checked.
Why is it happening and what does it mean? What is my browser being checked for?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

Wrong Planet runs on a CloudFare server, and for some reason the DDoS system is kicking in. It's just a security protocol, it's programmed to do that in case something's wrong with the website. (In this web addresses's case, just being so outdated.)

It's really nothing for you to worry about. :)

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2014, 6:00 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Wrong Planet runs on a CloudFare server, and for some reason the DDoS system is kicking in. It's just a security protocol, it's programmed to do that in case something's wrong with the website. (In this web addresses's case, just being so outdated.)

It's really nothing for you to worry about. :)

Thank you!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 6:36 pm

I thought I was the only one who was experiencing that.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 5:11 am

I'm getting it as well. I also thought it was just me.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 8:30 am

For anyone who might not already know:

Quote:
DoS = Denial-of-Service attack from a single source
DDoS = Distributed Denial-of-Service attack from a network

...an attempt to make a machine or network resource (such as WrongPlanet) unavailable...server overload.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

The only thing unusual here is that the browser-check (numbers and types of communications requests) notice is being displayed. Other than that, most sites already check most browsers before allowing connection.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 8:36 am

NB This is fine, if you're using up to date hardware. It only takes a few seconds to get into the site.

With the antediluvian machines at my local library, it can take 10 or 15 minutes for them to get their act together and process this stuff!

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 9:53 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I thought I was the only one who was experiencing that.

Exactly my experience.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

There is a thread about CloudFlare on the WrongPlanet.net Discussion Forum (which is near the bottom of the Forum Index).

It's not clear whether the CloudFlare input is something new, or whether it has been in existence for some time and the appearance of the messages is a recent modification.

I think it is right to be alarmed by the sudden appearance of interruptions from alien websites - in my experience, it's usually one of the ways in which free sites like this one generate some income from advertising other websites' services, but it's also quite possible that it is the work of some kind of hacking operation.

But apparently the CloudFlare service is paid for by the owners of any website which uses the service.

I think it would be helpful if some kind of explanation was headlined at the top of the WrongPlanet homepage - it is quite possible that some internet users have been frightened away from the site by these unexplained interruptions.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2014, 11:38 am

MrGrumpy wrote:
I think it would be helpful if some kind of explanation was headlined at the top of the WrongPlanet homepage - it is quite possible that some internet users have been frightened away from the site by these unexplained interruptions.

I agree!

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm

Suspie wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:

I agree!

Just now, a warning flashed up on my WrongPlanet screen that my computer was about to crash, and that I need to click on 'HelpMeNow' (or something similar) to avoid a catastrophe. It was clearly an advert, and I ignored it, but not all of us are nerds, and the CloudFlare thing needs explaining.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 7:15 pm

Thank you, Makaylà.