Overstimulated or just procrastination?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm

I have this wierd issue that has plagued me all my life. When I get like really excited about something such as a book, game, tv show, whatever sometimes I am so excited that all I do is sit down and stare at it (book, game, toy, etc.) or just buzz around doing anything else BUT what I really want to do or take part in. It's like I am TOO excited to do partake of the pleasure that I know will give me pleasure or whatever. I don't even know if I am expressing this right.

Like for example, I will have a new expansion to play in one of my games and I order it, get it in the mail, install it, watch it install ( 8) ) and then don't play it or avoid it in some way such as going to sleep. Is this a really weird coping mechanism for over-stimulation, procrastination or just plain weird? :?:

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 9:26 pm

i do that too, i think. when i get gifts, including those that i've been dying for, i don't tend to be outwardly exited, i sometimes say "thank you" and put them aside. it's not until later that i open them / use them. i've been called ungrateful for this, though. i guess i see where they come from. on the other hand, when i get/buy things myself, i don't avoid it as much.

i haven't really looked into this a lot but i believe i do this because i'm afraid of being called out as desperate or greedy.
but when i try to appear humble, i get called ungrateful.
i'm not sure if what i'm talking about was the same as your issue, however.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nyarla_thotep
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2014, 10:49 pm

I kinda know what you mean lol. When I'm catching up with a TV show I really like online, sometimes when I know a good episode is coming up I delay watching it for days even though I really want to.

Maybe you're like, subconsciously afraid that the really amazing thing you're anticipating will end up being a disappointment or something, so you delay it because then you can enjoy just the idea of it first.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:01 am

nyarla_thotep wrote:
I kinda know what you mean lol. When I'm catching up with a TV show I really like online, sometimes when I know a good episode is coming up I delay watching it for days even though I really want to.

Maybe you're like, subconsciously afraid that the really amazing thing you're anticipating will end up being a disappointment or something, so you delay it because then you can enjoy just the idea of it first.

I have heard of anticipatory anxiety. But, my anxiety medications do not seem to address THAT particular issue. But, I wonder if it's all anxiety or maybe osometimes its a reaction to overstimulation.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult