The Bar. (L&D's own chatroom)

Page 26 of 88 [ 1404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 88  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:19 pm

From my viewpoint, you're doing many things at once.

You're strumming the guitar, you're picking the guitar, you're pedaling, you're regulating your speed, you're riding with no hands, you're keeping yourself balanced on the bike, you're playing the correct song, you're improvising your own song, you're editing your stuff, you're changing your stuff on the fly.

I'm glad you've been able to combine all functions into one harmonious function. Perhaps it's because you just DO--you don't think too much about it.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

You are doing many things too miraculously every moment just existing without consciously controlling. Sometimes "trying" to do something gets in the way of actually doing it. Do, or do not as Yoda advises Luke.

I badly need to be recorded instead of being recorded badly. None of my hundreds of original songs have ever been professionally recorded yet with quality sound. Ditto video. All on handheld camera phone devices.

:( I need to be "discovered" and sponsored and exploited, well maybe not that last one but I do have cats to support and a daughter.

foxmakeba
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm

Cyclist dude... You should try doing some reggae in your next video. :P

theblacksheepbrigade.blogspot.co.uk
thefoxwotwot.wordpress.com

@bsbflock
@thefoxwotwot

Fan interaction facebook page: www.facebook.com/EvanMakeba

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

That would be absolute genius: playing reggae while riding his bike!

That would definitely bring him over the hump!

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 1:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That would be absolute genius: playing reggae while riding his bike!

That would definitely bring him over the hump!

Sounds like a good idea for an edited video clip. Not like something you should do for real.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:36 pm

I do play some reggae songs while riding my bicycle. I just don't have any videos of them yet. Also, some of my other songs have reggae parts to them even if the whole song isn't reggae.

But as for the advice you should TRY to... as Yoda said there is no try. If I were to TRY to play reggae while riding a bicycle I'd fall over for sure. I just do it and it happens.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:39 pm

Same with my typing.

I'm a great typist when I don't think about the mechanics of typing.

Once I start thinking about it, I fumble, and I make lots of mistakes.

foxmakeba
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Feb 2015, 11:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Same with my typing.

I'm a great typist when I don't think about the mechanics of typing.

Once I start thinking about it, I fumble, and I make lots of mistakes.

Pfff, You shouldn't of heard my podcast, today. I did two drama pieces; Hamlet and lyrics from Sia 'Chandelier'. I did both quite cold (Non rehearsed) and didn't trip up. The irony of being in the moment... :( I tripped up a few times in both texts.

theblacksheepbrigade.blogspot.co.uk
thefoxwotwot.wordpress.com

@bsbflock
@thefoxwotwot

Fan interaction facebook page: www.facebook.com/EvanMakeba

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 8:12 pm

Have they renovated the whole downtown of Manchester? I've heard they were going to do that.

Also: I find it interesting that what we might call "strip malls" are called "shopping precincts" in the UK. A precinct in the US is exclusively used for the headquarters of a police unit.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:49 am

kraftiekortie, what is the origin of the term strip mall?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 10:06 am

I'll have to research that.

I would assume that "strip malls" are located in a "strip" of land--sort of like a "slice" of land.

Nothing to do with stripping :wink:

Just like "flea markets" have nothing to do with fleas. I believe "flea market," is, ultimately, of Dutch origin.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 10:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would assume that "strip malls" are located in a "strip" of land--sort of like a "slice" of land.

Nothing to do with stripping ;)

I was unfamiliar with the term, so did it come across as a bit weird. So it made me wonder where it came from.

Quote:
Just like "flea markets" have nothing to do with fleas. I believe "flea market," is, ultimately, of Dutch origin.

My etymological dictionaries does not contain the word 'vlooienmarkt', which could either mean that the word was not included for whatever reason. Or that the term was not know at the time they where written. Searching with Google seems to show that is not Dutch in origin but a literal translation from the English term 'flea market'.

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/vlooienmarkt

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 11:46 am

"Strip mall" simply means that stores are arranged in rows or "strips."

There was a "flea" market in New Amsterdam (New York City), which, in the 17th century, bore the name which you mentioned.

There is also a theory that "flea market" derives from a French market which literally means "market of fleas."

I need to wet my whistle; may I have a Triple Grenadine?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 4:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was a "flea" market in New Amsterdam (New York City), which, in the 17th century, bore the name which you mentioned.

Unfortunately I only have one book in my personal library that deals with the history of the New Amsterdam colony. And I remember that it did not deal with those kind of things.

Quote:
There is also a theory that "flea market" derives from a French market which literally means "market of fleas."

Just looked up the etymology of the term flea market and they do mention that theory. And how it relates to that the articles traded there could contain fleas. This because it where mostly second hand products.

I could also use a drink, I would like a vodka-martini; shaken not stirred, please.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

I guess you're a James Bond fan LOL

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 9:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I guess you're a James Bond fan LOL

I have watched most of the movies. And have started reading the novels written by Flemming. By the way, it is speculated that Ian Flemming got Bonds preference for shaken not stirred from how prince Bernhard liked his vodka martini's.