Current Laptop Super Slow... Might Be Overheating

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

honeyaureus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm

As I mentioned in my previous topic, I'm getting a new laptop for my birthday. Unfortunately, my current laptop isn't doing well. It boots slow, sometimes freezes in mid-boot, and freezes all the time, not to mention gets hot. I often have to hold the power button to shut it down because everything stopped responding, or because it won't shut down on its own. I don't know what's going on but I suspect it's either because it's overheating on its own due to dust or it's infected with malware that nothing is picking up. Can someone give me direction so I can get the files from my current computer to the new one?

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2014, 10:34 pm

Is it possible to scan your computer and find out if it is infected with malware with your computer protection software? Never use a computer without a protection program and be careful with opening the e-mails in you inbox, Allthough there are some malevolent people who manage to damage your computer anyway, no matter what you do to prevent it.

Did you remove cookies and temporary files and other unnecessary stuff from your laptop and did you try defragmentation of your harddisk or disks to speed your laptop up again?

If you want to transfer files from your old laptop to your new computer it may be an idea to copy and story them onto a USB stick if that is possible. The second step would be to put the USB stick in your new computer and copy or download the files. Another possibilty that is less practical and more time consuming is to send an email with an attachment that contains one of more files to the emailaddress of your new laptop. I am pretty sure there are better ways of doing it but that is all I can come up with. Bare in mind that I'm not a computer expert.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 11:12 pm

likly if it hasn't been serviced before, overheating and general slowness is likly dirt and dust buildup around the CPU fans. Slowness could also be the result of not enough RAM for its software when there's too many start-up programs at boot. It may be also a hard drive issue as the drive ages and gets full, fragmented and in need of a clean-up.

My own laptop is 6 years beyond its usefulness, mine has gone the same way and it isn't worth servicing, repairs or upgrades much more.

You can get it serviced, attempt to clean dust, remove unwanted files/programs, defragment, upgrade ram and give it a scan if the machine can complete one in reasonable time. (Mine takes (18 hours to scan fully)

Most what I can do is system restore when something goes wrong, because I know that would be a quicker method for most fixes in my current laptops state and age. I may have to bite the financial bullet when Vista support has ended and there's no realistic way to use it for important matters.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

honeyaureus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2014, 9:28 am

I'm going to try to transfer my files in Safe Mode and see if that works. I'll work on maintenance after that. I already have antivirus, but I'm switching programs to something better. I'm also going to check and see what needs deleted after that. Thanks!

honeyaureus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2014, 10:20 pm

HELP!! ! My external hard drive lost some of my documents!! ! Damn it! I knew that "error 0x8007045d" was major trouble! Now I have to do a system restore, probably getting Conduit back. F???! !! !