Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 6:23 pm

It seems to be an autism trait that auties get overwhelmed easily, and when we do we lash out and hurt ourselves or things or others. I wonder if that is part of the Intense World Theory. We take in too much and one little thing causes our overloaded brains to go on tilt.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 6:41 pm

Maybe it only seems like we are overwhelmed easily given the efforts we are constantly making to think through everything that doesn't come intuitively and to cope with intense sensory input.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 8:12 pm

I have noticed that I most often get overwhelmed by very small things, but I handle big things quite well.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 8:18 pm

am overloaded extremely easily by all kinds of input; sensory overload, information overload, changes, an unpredictible day, demands etc, its why am on haliperidol because of the severe challenging behavior it all creates.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 8:20 pm

olympiadis wrote:
I have noticed that I most often get overwhelmed by very small things, but I handle big things quite well.

I agree with this. I easily overwhelmed by not being able to find my socks or taking a shower. But if something big happened like a major severe Thunderstorm I'm fairly calm compared to others.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 8:27 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

I agree with this. I easily overwhelmed by not being able to find my socks or taking a shower. But if something big happened like a major severe Thunderstorm I'm fairly calm compared to others.

severe thunderstorms can be very calming for a lot of people,have seen it on many nature sounds/calming sounds apps.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 8:42 pm

I get overwhelmed easily too. Sometimes I can't pinpoint the source, it just feels like the world spins too fast.

Wreck It Ralph

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm

Starts with being overwhelmed, followed by frustrated, and then angry and/or panicked.
:?

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 9:29 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Deb1970 wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

severe thunderstorms can be very calming for a lot of people,have seen it on many nature sounds/calming sounds apps.

Where I live storm can have base ball sized hail and rip a tree out the ground by it's roots. A tornado can rip your house apart and destroy everything in its path. It does not bother me. When the sirens blow I just take cover in the bathtub until it is over. Last week I took my blanket and pillow with me and sleep in the tub.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 9:55 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

EXACTLY!!

The sock should be there because it can't just vanish into nowhere.

However, if a meteor hits nearby, well those things can happen...

If I have two pens but I only see one of them I might freak out. It doesn't matter that I still have one pen, but it's that I know there's supposed to be two, and a pen should not vanish.

savethepenguins
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm

Well I do think I have sensory processing issues, and that is widely considered to be a symptom of the Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Personally, I have issues with crowds and loud noises. I'm currently a college student, so I fear having issues with getting a job due to my problems.

I find thunderstorms beautiful though. Rarely is it so loud that it makes me uncomfortable.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 11:06 pm

I get overwhelmed with things quite easily, and I f*****g hate it. I generally have a low threshold for things.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 11:18 pm

I get very emotionally overwhelmed, much more so than physically overwhelmed. I can get overwhelmed very easily if my routines are disturbed like if you put a plate in the wrong place. But bring on a thunderstorm any day! :D

Wreck It Ralph

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 11:41 pm

There are times that I get overwhelmed. I have more of an emotional reaction than a physical one these days. I reacted in a more physical way when I was in elementary school. There was one time when I was in Grade 6 when I actually threw my boots at another classmate, even though he wasn't the one I was angry at. I guess I was looking for an easy target and he was the closest person to me. I apologized to him afterwards. I feel embarrassed when I look back to those days and realize how physical I was during my childhood and adolescence. I'm glad I'm not like that now, especially over the past 5 years.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2014, 7:16 am

olympiadis wrote:

That's me as well. I attribute it to a need for "control."

Given how people with AS have a need for rigid and strict routines, we may mature enough to accept that we can't control "big" things, but we still struggle to control little things.