Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 12:34 pm

How do y'll control/ express anger? I find myself recently (last year) getting mad about the weirdest things.. like the light switch not flipping off the first time I hit it down, or the car door coming back after I have pushed it open etc.. and these things make me so angry.. I hit them or slam them or whatever. I have broken so many things this past year it is getting ridiculous. It's not even that I need to take out my frustration on what actually set me off.. I will grab a nearby thing and chuck that against the wall. Anyway, I have no idea why I get so upset over these little things. What also does not help is the fact that when I was growing up, this is exactly how my parents expressed their anger (throw a fist into the wall) so I have no idea how I am suppose to "healthily" release anger.. or even why I am getting upset over these little things. So.. any suggestions as to how to release this anger would be really great.. I have two (step) kids so I need to start teaching them healthy ways too, why is also why I am asking.

CuddleHug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2014, 5:05 pm

Perhaps you were never taught aggressive control. These things are naturally distressing and when I was in my teens they would have broken me down but that was not allowed in my household so since anger wasn?t allowed the aggression stopped. Depending upon what we were taught we all have different thresholds for aggression before it is viewed as acceptable and when that happens even if it?s only viewed acceptably unconsciously then the emotion pours out.

There are many ways to release anger constructively. Some people beat a punching bag or others go for a walk. There?s also meditation if you learn that path to emotional management. In the end all you?re doing is channeling out anger and adjusting your emotional state back to normal by introducing positives and refusing to engage aggression namely don?t think about or rage etc just let it fade away. The physical activity does well at bringing your emotional state back due to the chemical changes they induce in the body so it?d likely be the easiest way. Personally I like meditation and journaling.