Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 3:57 pm

Does anyone else get easily stressed out? Do you have any tricks on how to calm down?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 6:24 pm

I read books, watch TV, go on the internet, go to WrongPlanet.

I also take walks, jog, walk.

I also breathe deeply a few times, then close my eyes.

StarsInMyMargarita
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm

I've heard take a walk, take a bath, journal, eat something healthy, but the suggestions that worked for me were: Focus so completely on deep, relaxed breathing that you can't focus on anything else. Then start back off with clear, encouraging thoughts.

Repeat a soothing phrase. Something that throws off the cycle of worrying. I get stressed when I have too much to do, and focusing on "Smaller" is helpful. I'm just going to worry about doing the dishes. Now I'm going to wipe the counters. Now I'll sweep the floor. Now I'll take out the trash.
Or "I won't worry about NEVER quitting my job. Just for today, I won't hop out of the drive thru window and run away." But since I did quit my job, and now I wish I hadn't, "Action is worry's worst enemy."

And little activities, I like crochet and taking pictures of bugs on flowers. lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 7:46 am

Hi, Margarita,

Couldn't you apply at Burger King or something? I'm sure most people understand that there is a high turnover rate at fast food places. Or work in a dollar store.

How's the college thing coming along?

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:05 pm

Repetitive actions increase serotonin levels in the brain, which helps mood and reduces stress. That is one reason why crochet is so relaxing. I crochet sometimes. I also play instruments, so practicing helps sometimes. (Other times, if it is actually the music stressing me out, it doesn't help.) Other repetitive motions might help, too. Most crafts would fall in this category. If you like to write, typing out what you write might help, instead of writing by hand.

When I was younger and had a little more time to myself, I would put on some music I liked, lay down, and focus on *one* line of the music. It could be a voice or an instrument. I personally liked focusing on the bass line. I would focus so hard on just that one instrument, I basically fell asleep and when I woke up, my mind was empty. It worked freakishly well.

I also took many baths.

I go by myself to my favorite quiet places (I did this more before I had kids, and am doing this a little more now that they are teens.) It could be a walk in the woods, or down to the beach to watch the waves. Something where there is something gentle outside of myself I canfocus on - the rhythm of the waves, the sound of the breeze, birds tweeting, etc. The clean air of being outside in nature helps me breathe deeply, too.

StarsInMyMargarita
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2014, 6:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi, Margarita,

Couldn't you apply at Burger King or something? I'm sure most people understand that there is a high turnover rate at fast food places. Or work in a dollar store.

How's the college thing coming along?

I don't really want to do fast food again. I have a few places that I'm planning on doing applications for, but I have no clothes to wear. I'm waiting for my mom to have a day off because I don't know what to pick at the store. And shoes are even harder.
I think I'm going to email the school counselor in about three weeks. I can get my credit card paid off by then and use it for books, and I think I can set up a payment plan for tuition. I hope. lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:32 pm

If you wouldn't mind, please keep me posted about how you're doing.

23andaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2014, 6:37 am

LonelyJar wrote:
Does anyone else get easily stressed out? Do you have any tricks on how to calm down?

I'm not sure if you're down for taking medications, but I think taking SSRIs have helped me somewhat.

I think meditation is one of the best ways to alleviate stress. Actually, it's more of making oneself more resilient towards stress, and developing a capacity to be with things as they are, even if it be a stressful situation. However, meditation is a long-term endeavor so I think you would find the most benefit with regular practice and see the benefits over time.

In case you're interested, I've found these meditations from UCLA to be easy to follow and tremendously helpful.

Axis I: 299.80 Asperger's Syndrome, 314.00 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type
Blog: http://www.23andaspie.com

Protector88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm

The man who has the answer to your question would be the richest man alive.

I don't get why people focus on their breathing. It always makes me tense up and feel everything in my body. My stomach goes in a knot as well. When I try to control my breathing I feel like I am in a bubble, feels really weird.

I did some relaxation tricks a while back where you had to tense up every part of your body and then release to let your body know what real tension feels like. Did not work at all. Only thing I got was cramps ;)

Medication helps but not with everyone. First try without medication and then if all else fails, try medication.