Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 11:50 pm

Norny wrote:
As individuals, Aspies are part of the 'social world' as much as NTs are. It's as if this forum believes that NTs are not forced to 'fake it', and intentionally behave maliciously all the time.

A world full of autistics would still involve heavy amounts of bullying and BS. The evidence is commonplace, but it's selectively ignored. People with lower functioning autism have posted how they have experienced things like bullying at the hands of the higher functioning.

I was saying similar to someone the other day, in that bullying can occur in all walks of life and between people with all types of neurologies. I don't often stipulate this when ranting about NTs simply because if stopped to include everything I was thinking I'd have to write out a book about the subject, there are a lot of variations and factors to cover that I also don't have time to write in when replying casually on the internet.

It must be a 'human nature' thing.

And no not all NTs are malicious, occasionally i even actually like some of them.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 2:06 am

OK, so I've noticed a lot of people here somehow think of "faking it" or "acting NT" as being malicious or otherwise "bad". The truth is, there's nothing wrong with how NTs act compared to us, they're only human, and so are we! Acting "NT" is just difficult for us because we're not wired for it. I mentioned earlier on that NT society "sucks", well it sucks for ME and other people who don't quite fit in, just because it's so hard to fit in. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just a pain in the ass to adapt to.

Generally, NTs aren't out to harm us, and in fact in a lot of cases they even want to help us. It can be hard for them to, because they have a hard time relating to our experiences, sort of the same way we may have trouble relating to theirs. Of course, by studying them we can better understand them, and by them studying us, they can better understand us.

Some NTs hate aspies, and even some aspies hate aspies. These people aren't the majority though, and most of the NTs that give us difficulties in our day to day lives do it because they simply don't understand. It can be hard to make them understand, because unlike being a limb amputee, ASD is an "invisible" condition, and "invisible" conditions tend to be much harder to explain. Some people are open to explanation, some aren't, but the ones who aren't are not usually trying to be malicious.

My point is, there's nothing wrong with how NTs are, and there's nothing wrong with trying to act like them either. What IS wrong is acting like a hateful SOB. Don't do that. People tend to hate it. ;)

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 4:25 am

^ Well said.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 9:00 am

Sorry for making this thread.

I just meant that I don't know how to "blend in" with other people - once I start speaking or interacting with others, it becomes blatantly obvious that I'm autistic.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 9:09 am

....and I don't care if people think I'm weird. I don't see the point in trying to be someone I'm not.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 11:24 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Here is a picture of me faking NT

If people were raccoons, I would have no problem with faking raccoons.
I think I could fake raccoon.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 11:26 am

I want to delete this thread.

I do not appreciate being mocked and made fun of.

Thank you.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2014, 11:34 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
OK, so I've noticed a lot of people here somehow think of "faking it" or "acting NT" as being malicious or otherwise "bad". The truth is, there's nothing wrong with how NTs act compared to us, they're only human, and so are we! Acting "NT" is just difficult for us because we're not wired for it. I mentioned earlier on that NT society "sucks", well it sucks for ME and other people who don't quite fit in, just because it's so hard to fit in. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just a pain in the ass to adapt to.

Generally, NTs aren't out to harm us, and in fact in a lot of cases they even want to help us. It can be hard for them to, because they have a hard time relating to our experiences, sort of the same way we may have trouble relating to theirs. Of course, by studying them we can better understand them, and by them studying us, they can better understand us.

Some NTs hate aspies, and even some aspies hate aspies. These people aren't the majority though, and most of the NTs that give us difficulties in our day to day lives do it because they simply don't understand. It can be hard to make them understand, because unlike being a limb amputee, ASD is an "invisible" condition, and "invisible" conditions tend to be much harder to explain. Some people are open to explanation, some aren't, but the ones who aren't are not usually trying to be malicious.

My point is, there's nothing wrong with how NTs are, and there's nothing wrong with trying to act like them either. What IS wrong is acting like a hateful SOB. Don't do that. People tend to hate it. ;)

Well some, myself included, think there are things inherently wrong with society.
A lot of people are fake and full of s**t. I feel like that is wrong. I have to live among them, so for survival I must also be fake, and I hate that. So please speak for yourself.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

Of course there are logical reasons for faking it. It's about 3 things:
1. Doing something you dislike to get the outcome you want
2. Your ability to do it, and
3. Your tolerance levels for the anxiety it produces

I teach "disconnected" / disadvantaged students in years 10, 11 and 12. Teaching gives me joy.. and in order to do that, I have to follow the culture of the place where I work. Not totally, but to a degree that I can handle. The anxiety of doing so does depresses me at times, but when I see a student achieving where normal high school has failed them, it kind'a makes it worthwhile. I could be more me, but that would put me out of favour and eventually exclude me from doing the role that makes me happy.

Incidental background: I spent several years in mechanical engineering roles, before migrating to IT, which I spent 15 years in. I was highly paid in IT, but at my age it's not about the money. Moving into low paid teaching has been, in many ways, very fulfilling, even though it elevates my anxiety.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 11:42 am

My neurologist and psychiatrist both agree that I'm more classic autism than Asperger's. I keep procrastinating about changing my signature.

I find it incredibly difficult to even carry a conversation, let alone fake / imitate something or someone.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 11:48 am

I don't know how to blend in with other people either.
And I don't care if I seem autistic. I see nothing wrong with that.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 11:57 am

Marybird wrote:
And I don't care if I seem autistic. I see nothing wrong with that.

Same here.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2014, 1:41 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Something I would like to point out is that autistic nature is actually the fake part to an extent. Had you not been born with autism you would be different and in a sense what you were meant to be. Autism is a disability, granted for some very light, and for others with valuable compensating abilities, but a distortion nevertheless of what you would have been had you developed normally.

So learning to be more NT, is not really fake in my eyes, as much as getting closer to your original design, and in a way the real you.

You deviate from your ?original design? only in concepts, in the cultural norms you have unconsciously absorbed, as we all.

I have blue eyes. I have them because of a genetic mutation that took place in a single individual living thousands of years ago. This mutation is the origin of blue eyes in the human population. Am I an anomaly, a deviation from my ?original design? a.k.a brown eyes? Should I buy brown contact lenses to get closer to my "original design", "the real me"? Are gay people a deviation from their "original design"?

Where do you draw the line and above all why?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 4:58 pm

Please don't think people are out to mock you. I really hope you get your degree, then an advanced degree. Please never give up, Steel Maiden!

At least you're living on your own now.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 1:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Please don't think people are out to mock you. I really hope you get your degree, then an advanced degree. Please never give up, Steel Maiden!

At least you're living on your own now.

True. Thanks. I'll try hard.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 1:34 am

ResilientBrilliance wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Well some, myself included, think there are things inherently wrong with society.
A lot of people are fake and full of sh**. I feel like that is wrong. I have to live among them, so for survival I must also be fake, and I hate that. So please speak for yourself.

Absolutely. Humanity is f****d up. I'm kind of weird because on the one hand, I believe that there are good people out there, but on the other hand, I also think of humanity as being a scourge on the planet. I'm a parasite, and I may as well try to get along with the other parasites.