Do you gaze in the corner of your eyes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Tilda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm

Does anybody here gaze in the corner of their eyes? Is it common in Asperger's? I do this very often.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 2:28 pm

Describe what you mean.

Wreck It Ralph

Tilda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2014, 2:32 pm

I mean when you don't turn your head to look at something, just the eyes. Like looking to the right or left (or up or down) in the corner of your eyes. I can do this for a long time even when I am not looking at something in particular.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm

No, not really. I only use my periphery when passing people in the street because I hate giving direct eye contact to strangers, I just find it so intimidating and I worry that I'm intimidating them if I look at them - even though most people don't give two s**ts if they intimidate me but there you go.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 3:02 pm

Ever since I was very little I have always looked straight ahead with my head turned way to the right. Like if I want to look at something in front of me my head is turned to the right about 45 degrees so that my nose is pointing to the right side and my eyes are looking through the left corners of my eye sockets. I used to do this almost exclusively when I was little, like that is how I would look at everything. The doctors thought I had a lazy eye and tried to correct it by giving me no prescription glasses with a piece of tape taped over one eye so that it would force me to use only the one they thought that was weak. But every eye exam showed that both my eyes were very good and pretty equal in strength and function. A couple of years ago I asked a chiropractor what he thought of my gaze and he said that that is a proprioceptive issue not a visual impairment. I tend to look straight ahead a lot more now when looking straight but still catch my head turned to the side pretty often. Even right now as I am typing this post, if when I look at the tip of my nose I notice that my nose is facing about 45 degrees to the right as I read what I am typing. My laptop is on my lap so the screen is straight in front of me. I think I do this gaze particularly when I am tired or sometimes when I am totally relaxed and not thinking about how I should be facing. But I notice that in pictures of myself I tend to look straight at the camera whereas in pictures of myself when I was very little, sometimes my head is turned as I am looking straight. My mom recently sent me my nursery school class picture and my head was turned in that side eyed gaze. It is extremely obvious next to the the other kids looking straight. I also had a classic Aspie non expressive face while most of the other kids were smiling. Whether the side of the eye stare is an Aspie thing or not, I don't know but I would be very interested to find out.

Wreck It Ralph

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 7:13 pm

I tend to ignore my focal vision and mostly use my peripheral vision.

In all of my childhood class photos, everyone is looking at the camera and I am the only person with my head turned to the side.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 7:16 pm

The busier the surroundings, the more likely I do so. Just when there's too much visual stimuli.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Jul 2014, 7:21 pm

Sure, out in public I do it a lot.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 7:33 pm

I?ve often done it on purpose since childhood so people at some distance would think I was looking in a different direction :)

I don?t think I?ve ever done it otherwise, but I?m not sure. It took me some time to figure out that a person is always looking in the direction their eyes are pointing. I remember when it was a total mystery to me why people?s eyes kept jumping now and then during a conversation, for example. I even thought there was something wrong about mine, ?cause, when I looked at them in a mirror, they didn?t move! Then I noticed they did move in a perfectly regular way?no haphazard jumps?when I slightly turned my head.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 4:08 am

Tilda wrote:
I mean when you don't turn your head to look at something, just the eyes. Like looking to the right or left (or up or down) in the corner of your eyes. I can do this for a long time even when I am not looking at something in particular.

Oh yeah totally. I think a lot of us with more pronounced autism do this and it looks to others like we are unfocused and inattentive, when in fact it's side glances all over the place taking in little details....or sometimes just focusing on a particular nothing....helps me cope.

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
The busier the surroundings, the more likely I do so. Just when there's too much visual stimuli.

That's what I was thinking of too. It's like a way of escape.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 8:23 am

Yah, me too. Sometimes people wonder if I'm paying attention to them when they're talking because I do this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 9:25 am

This doesn't apply to me; my peripheral vision sucks.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 10:40 am

I'm sure I read a thread once here what said about more Autistic people having tunnel vision or something.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 12:11 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm sure I read a thread once here what said about more Autistic people having tunnel vision or something.

Tunnel vision as in focusing on details in the environment from the corners or your eyes.
I do that but I thought everyone did.