Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 7:45 am

I recently quit my job due to stress and I don't know whether or not I want to go to the CC that my family is trying to force me to go to. They say that I "have to do something." They say that I can't just sit around eating and sleeping and watching TV all day, but I kind of don't feel that I can do anything else right now...

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2014, 8:06 am

What about starting off at the CC with just one or two classes for a semester instead of a program? I'm sure their intentions are good and they just don't want you to get stuck in a rut. Big hugs.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 11:43 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
They say that I can't just sit around eating and sleeping and watching TV all day, but I kind of don't feel that I can do anything else right now...

You do need to do something productive and contributing to the world. School to prepare for a career, working, volunteering etc.
Your family probably hopes that you will be self reliant someday.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2014, 12:28 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I recently quit my job due to stress and I don't know whether or not I want to go to the CC that my family is trying to force me to go to. They say that I "have to do something." They say that I can't just sit around eating and sleeping and watching TV all day, but I kind of don't feel that I can do anything else right now...

Workplaces are war zones for those who are not socially typical. Sounds like you need to de-stress and heal. I feel you!

I am head-of-family and value my independence, so it is harder for me to take time b/t office witch hunts. Not having adequate income puts me at the mercy of others. I HATE being at the mercy of others!

I use the Premack Principal: When I __________, I can __________. An example might be "When I fill out an application for student aid, I can eat and sleep and watch TV the rest of the morning." When I sign up for classes at the local community college, follow up with jobs, clean my room, etc.

I am moving to another state in several I days. If I packed boxes for 4 hours, I get to play on WP for a while. Boxes are packed and here I am :wink:

You'll find something that works for you!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:52 am

I know this thread is nearly a week old but anyway, I felt the same way at your age. I was stressed and I didn't to do anything. A few years later that lifestyle became a major pain. I I know of no greater source of regret than all those wasted years.

Take a break but don't give up on doing stuff. You really should come up a career plan. nearest suggests you need to contribute something to society. You owe the world nothing. Don't do it for society. Don't do it because your parents tell you to. Do it for yourself. Do it for your own benefit. It will make you into a stronger and happier person.

If I've learned one lesson from life it is this; the hardest thing I've ever done is live an easy life.

NaturalProcess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Take a break but don't give up on doing stuff. You really should come up a career plan. nearest suggests you need to contribute something to society. You owe the world nothing. Don't do it for society. Don't do it because your parents tell you to. Do it for yourself. Do it for your own benefit. It will make you into a stronger and happier person.

I want to second this. Society is simply not accommodating to the majority of us, and will use you up to the bone and discard you if you let it. Whatever you do, do for you. God knows that's how most NTs operate anyway, so don't feel ashamed of it.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:05 pm

Might as well give the community college a shot - who knows, you might actually like it and make some new friends.

For me, high school sucked big time but university - while it was hard work - was some of the best years of my life. I really came out of my shell and into my own there.