Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 12:38 pm

Why must this be so complicated?

I have a new boyfriend and I want to add him on Facebook. The trouble is, in the past I have posted a lot of crap what I don't really want him to see (I don't know what was wrong with me?!) I've tried everything and I just can't find the right option in settings. There must be a way.

I don't wish to download anything, even if it is safe, because every time I download something, it downloads a virus with it and messes up my internet and I have to keep paying 66 quid to get rid of the viruses (I have already done that 3 times this year). So no more downloading stuff, however safe it says it is, I just don't trust anything any more.

I know there is an option where you can make it so that a particular person can't see what you post, but I heard it's only on their timeline, and that if that person clicks on your profile they can see everything you post.

Yes, I have tried to delete some stuff one by one but it's already took me half an hour and I'm still on this year, so it's going to take me FOREVER. Why isn't there a simple way to just be able to clean up your past Facebook data without having to download anything? I thought it would be simple. Somebody please help!! !

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:11 pm

How are you currently deleting stuff? Have you tried going to Privacy settings and tools?
On your homepage next to view activity log, there should be three little dots. Click on that and then go to timeline settings. Once there, click on Privacy (on left hand side of page) and then under "Who can see my stuff" click on the third one which is "Limit the audience for posts" Once you click on that, then click on "Limit old posts" .... I am not sure what all this limits but it may be what you are looking for.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 2:15 pm

I did try that but I don't know if it made any difference, because the old posts are still on my timeline. Also it doesn't give me any options of who to limit the posts to see.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 4:16 pm

@Joe90

you don't and can't delete posts made on Facebook.....and do u know WHY?!?!?!

because Facebook OWNS your posts...that's right, they OWN your posts.....and they keep them FOREVER

Welcome to the Jungle.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm

You can delete your posts but it seems the only way to do that is to delete one by one, which will take longer than you think. I was just wondering if there was another way I can do this, like a quicker way. I just wish there was an option in the settings what said ''delete all posts from...'' and then you type in a date and it just clears your old posts. The people who invented Facebook should know that people come and go, and that you don't want your old posts you wrote years ago when you wasn't that mature to still be lying around, and then the better people that you know now could have a look all down your timeline and misunderstand the context and you feel embarrassed.

It's 2014 for Christ sake - things shouldn't have to be done one by one any more!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 11:10 am

Joe90 wrote:
...I have a new boyfriend and I want to add him on Facebook. The trouble is, in the past I have posted a lot of crap what I don't really want him to see (I don't know what was wrong with me?!) I've tried everything and I just can't find the right option in settings...

This isn't a precise answer but when our son was younger, we (his parents) were his Facebook friends however he gave us to believe there were things in his account that were blocked from us that he shared with close friends his own age. I suppose you might call that "parent mode". I'll let you figure out how that works, but one advantage is that, once you've friended him, it will appear the same to him as though he were seeing everything.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 11:16 am

I just make a habit of deleting posts one at a time about once every month or two (mostly because I use my FB as a reference post-it on news articles and tend to delete any likes and comments (after all once people see them they become lost history anyways and they wouldn't notice them gone)).

Mostly facebook wants you to keep the things they can use to advertise at you and your friends with, they make those posts almost impossible to remove, other then helping you hide them from your self. what I HATE is when people tag me and things, all I can do is make it so where I cant see the tags while others can, so its pointless to try and remove them.

I vary much disliked FB bugging me about education and history and the like, so I put on them that I am from the school of nonyerbizzness and worked at JackMeOff, and I never "like" something they suggest (once done those are almost impossible to remove), only comments others make (which later gets deleted).