Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 12:58 am

For years now, I've been having some type of fear response that wakes me up during the first 20 minutes of my sleep time. I happens about twice a week. it's not really a nightmare, in that for the most part nothing particularly terrifying happens in the dream. But I will wake up with a start out of a dead sleep, with racing heart, quick breathing and adrenaline rushing.

I just recently discovered that the condition is called Night Terrors. It's actually a children's condition, and relatively rare in adults. I have severe anxiety problems, and I wonder if the two are connected. It seems like they would be, but I've been having this longer than I've been having panic attacks. Any ideas on this? Anyone else have such a thing?

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:04 am

Its very possible the two are connected (panic attack in your sleep perhaps, the symptoms seem to be similar). However, I have little knowledge in the subject, so take what I say as pure speculation

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2014, 1:13 am

Yes, i have had both aswell.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:26 am

night terrors tend to be remembered. Maybe what you're having is a panic attack triggered by a dream which you can't then remember?

There's also the 'old hag' syndrome. It usually involves sleep paralysis (you're awake but can't move and you have this aweful feeling of something malignant near you and it triggers a response...then you snap out of the sleep paralysis and you're VERY confused if it was a dream or if you were really awake).

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 5:25 am

It happens to me more often if I have too much caffeine.

I used to have panic attacks, and sometimes they can be triggered by a change in a level of consciousness. Sometimes relaxing would set them off (they would happen as I was settling into reading a book!) Basically as I moved down a level of consciousness while reading, I would notice the change and it would freak me out, causing a panic attack.

I think the same thing is happening during sleep, especially since it happens during the first 20 minutes.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 8:45 am

Yes, I've had issues with them as well.

- Stay away from any caffeine or sugar a few hours before bed.
- Deal with your daytime anxiety as it will haunt you at night.
- Try to get a bit of exercise in the early evening (not just before bed) like a walk.
- Make your bedroom a cozy and appealing place if it's not already.
- I take magnesium supplements to manage my anxiety. they are also known to help with sleep.

Good luck :)

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 10:31 pm

I think you all are referring to a myoclonic jerk. Not fun, but not night terrors. My 20 year old son has had night terrors his entire life. He screams and thrashes inside of nightmares that neither we nor himself can awaken from. Sometimes they can go on for hours. He finally awakens extremely depressed and fatigued, and after eating and using the bathroom will go back to sleep for up to 20 hours to recover[unless of course he slips into more night terrors]

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 2:12 am

vickygleitz wrote:
I think you all are referring to a myoclonic jerk. Not fun, but not night terrors. My 20 year old son has had night terrors his entire life. He screams and thrashes inside of nightmares that neither we nor himself can awaken from. Sometimes they can go on for hours. He finally awakens extremely depressed and fatigued, and after eating and using the bathroom will go back to sleep for up to 20 hours to recover[unless of course he slips into more night terrors]

Maybe, but I've experienced the myoclonic jerk and it's different than what I'm speaking of. Besides panic, I wonder if it might have something to do with sleep apnea. I have a touch of that as well, and maybe I'm waking after not breathing.

Sorry for your son's night terrors. How hard that must be for you and him.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.