Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm

Few things irk me more than when someone bashes a TV show or other fictional work because he/she believed it ripped off something else. Now, in some cases, popular works can inspire competitors, the borrowing of several elements can be blatant and unironic, and the plagiarists fail to make any significant differences between their work and the work that inspired them. However, most people complain when two works only seem SLIGHTLY SIMILAR to each other, and in some cases the earlier work is considered the "knock-off". It's like these people are incapable of tolerating having more than one work per genre. Can't they try focusing on the differences instead of the similarities? That's the reason I started this thread, to complain about how easily people can complain about "unoriginality" in the media. If you know about works of fiction that get panned mostly for resembling something else, go ahead and add them to this list.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 12:19 am

The next time you hear someone complaining about the lack of originality in Hollywood and on TV, ask them to list the last 10 movies they watched or the last 10 DVDs or Blu-rays they bought.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 5:33 am

The sad truth is that few people come up with truly ORIGINAL ideas. So, most works of art are highly derivative of prior works.

Doing a few detail changes but following the same idea doesn't make a story "original."

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 8:04 pm

Here's my list:

American Dragon: Jake Long vs. The Life and Times of Juniper Lee
Danny Phantom vs. American Dragon: Jake Long
Dexter’s Laboratory vs. The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
Dexter’s Laboratory vs. Johnny Test
The Incredibles vs. The X's
My Life as a Teenage Robot vs. Robotboy
Pokémon vs. Digimon