Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ArrowAce
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm

Hi all,
I am thinking that I should buy a weighted blanket. I usually sleep with quite a few layers of blankets on to create a heavy feeling. Sadly, it's going to be Summer here soon, and where I live it gets to about thirty(30) degrees Celsius. It would be incredibly uncomfortable sleeping under all those blankets, especially when my fan doesn't work.
My only dilemma, apart from scrounging up the money for one(My birthday is coming up and I'm at an age where all I get is money), would be asking my parents for one. My parents don't like it when I flap my hands or wiggle my fingers, so I don't know what they'd think if I asked for a thing commonly associated with autism. I would buy it with my own money, so that won't be a problem. I also know where I would get a blanket from, so that's not a problem either. My main dilemma is actually asking for and arranging to buy one.
Any ideas?

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm

You could shop for them on the internet?

http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/20 ... oose-from/

beady
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 11:47 pm

If you have the money and know where to get the blanket then I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

Is the problem that you don't have a credit card or a debit card?
I don't know how old you are but if you have a bank account you should be able to set up a PayPal account which you can use to purchase the blanket on Amazon and perhaps other places too.

Or is it that your parents will know what you are buying when it's delivered and you prefer they don't know.
Perhaps your parents won't mind you getting something that is kept at home and is visible to very few people. A blanket is not like hand movements that can attract attention.

Good luck! I think you should be able to get anything that helps, especially if you are using your own money.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 4:43 am

if have got ability to buy online,can vouch for TFH as have bought from them before;
http://www.specialneedstoys.com
am only able to access the UK site now for some reason so cant directly link to the weighted blanket but just put the term into the search.

had gotten both of mine [a full size blanket and a lap blanket] from an OT which came from a store called sensory direct but its only in the UK if remember correctly.
mine has cells built into it so the weights can be taken out and the quilt washed or have the weights swapped for lighter ones; theyre the heaviest weights available though.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ArrowAce
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2014, 7:10 am

Ah, sorry for no specifying my age. I'm almost 15 years old. I don't have a credit card so I would need to use my dads as he's the only one who uses online shopping semi - regularly. He is also the one who is the most adverse to my simming kinds of actions(rocking, finger wiggling etc.). Sorry for the confusion, it slipped my mind.
Beady: I don't think they would mind too much, though my main problem is how to bring it up in conversation.
When I was a baby and up until I was around five years old I found it difficult to get to sleep without my dad pusing down on me with his hands. I explained that very poorly. He would put pressure on me by pushing down on my arms and legs and I found that very soothing. Perhaps I should bring that up sometime and tell him that there are blankets kind of like that. Sorry if I'm not making much sense, it's quite late where I am.
Thank you for the website suggestions, I will check them out now!

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 9:01 am

To ease your parents? minds, you might want to point out that people around the world, both on the spectrum and off, have trouble sleeping--it's a perfectly valid problem. There are numerous causes of sleep problems, and many treatment options, including herbal supplements, relaxation practices, strategic schedules, weighted blankets, and yeah, drugs.

I like your idea of reminding your dad about how he used to help you fall asleep. If he doesn't know the science behind it, you can tell him that deep-tissue massage or pressure releases serotonin in the brain, which promotes relaxation and facilitates sleep.

I think that if you appeal to your parents? concerns for your health and tell them that using a weighted blanket is a really practical and safe way to improve your well-being on many levels, they should be comfortable with it.

Sweet dreams! :wink:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Aug 2014, 10:45 am

Yes, remind your Dad about pressure helping you sleep. I have a weighted blanket and it is the most wonderful thing!

It's made sort of like two sheets (you can pick them) which are sewn together, filled with polyester pellets, and then sewn across the top with a kind of duvet stitchery to keep the pellets in "pockets."

It's important to note that this construction is airy and has no effect on heat or cold. It just gives wonderful wieght. I put mine between the topsheet and any weather blankets I might want.

I have seen myself in meltdown and if I can get to my bed, I get in and - honestly - I'm calm within a few moments. People tell me it has to do with the proprio<something> muscles - the long muscles in the body. Whatever. It works.

I got mine the size of my bed - a double bed. If I were to do it again, I'd buy a single bed size no matter what the size of the bed. It only has to cover me and this way you can put it in the washing machine.

I got mine at DreamCatcher. They're on eBay too but be careful of quality; you'll want this to last.

Best of luck to you!

ArrowAce
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Aug 2014, 12:16 am

Hey guys, just thought I'd update you. First of all, thank you for your advice. It was very helpful <3
Second, I have achieved success!
The night before last I was making my bed after the sheets were washed. I need help doing this because I am small and can't lift my mattress enough to get the sheet under. I just came out and said "I wish I had a blankets that was heavy but not hot."
My dad shrugged and said "I don't think they make those"
I said that they do and that one can find them on the internet. My dad looked at me and said "Do you think you're a bit like Temple Granden?"(We had just watched the 2010 movie the night before) I shrugged and said "I guess"
I reminded him about the pressure thing I had when I was younger.
Now I just need to show him a few of these weighted blanket websites.
Thank-you all for the help!