Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 9:28 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I do believe impact is worse than intent, so I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree.

Why? If two guys point guns at each other and they both pull their trigger and one guy gets a misfire, you give that guy a pass? Or, looking at it politically, do you think that telling people that some types of bigotry are more acceptable than others is in any way helpful?

Because a police force pulling over blacks constantly just because they think blacks are inherently criminal does far more damage than a black bully hassling white kids. One isn't equal to the other.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2014, 1:21 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
And guess what - for the most part we're right. The only time when black racism can legitimately impact whites is during physical assault, which doesn't happen nearly as often as white racists have convinced themselves that it does. Show me where blacks have wielded significant enough political, economic, or police power to actually harm whites.

I went to majority black schools up until high school, and it wasn't pleasant; should I have been comforted from the bullying and cruelty because in the long run, people who look like me had done far worse to people who looked like my antagonists?

No, you should be somewhat comforted that you didn't have to put up with racism. Of course, that isn't how human emotions work, we don't feel better because others have it worse.

Racism is more of a problem than "reverse racism" because it is more pervasive, it is institutionalised, and it actually oppresses. "A black person was a bit mean to me" doesn't compare.

Interesting reading

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 2:24 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
No, you should be somewhat comforted that you didn't have to put up with racism. Of course, that isn't how human emotions work, we don't feel better because others have it worse.

Racism is more of a problem than "reverse racism" because it is more pervasive, it is institutionalised, and it actually oppresses. "A black person was a bit mean to me" doesn't compare.

I'm not talking about 32 year old present me, I'm talking about 12 year old then me; should I have been comforted? More importantly, I managed to avoid turning into a racist myself only through a lot of thought and self examination, which not to flatter myself, but isn't something everyone can or will do, it would have been very easy to allow my experience to shape my view of an entire race. So, do you think treating people like me like 'poor little white boy, people were mean to you' is constructive, or more likely to result in more racists?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 2:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Because a police force pulling over blacks constantly just because they think blacks are inherently criminal does far more damage than a black bully hassling white kids. One isn't equal to the other.

What about when those hassled kids grow up and turn into racist cops? It's a cycle, and you need to break the whole thing if you're going to have any impact at all.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 3:37 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
And guess what - for the most part we're right. The only time when black racism can legitimately impact whites is during physical assault, which doesn't happen nearly as often as white racists have convinced themselves that it does. Show me where blacks have wielded significant enough political, economic, or police power to actually harm whites.

I went to majority black schools up until high school, and it wasn't pleasant; should I have been comforted from the bullying and cruelty because in the long run, people who look like me had done far worse to people who looked like my antagonists?

I went to school in Little Rock and we got bused to inner city schools.Maybe it's different for boys,but I didn't encounter extra bullies.The worst bullies are mean rich white girls.I also went to Central,never had any problem with anyone,and we skipped and roamed around the neighborhood.Bought food at the cafe by the train tracks and beer :D at the seven-eleven,joints in the parking lot.We loved the hood.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 4:30 pm

I think black people are viewed as the most racist, because of the persistent accusations of racism.

More Americans View Blacks As Racist Than Whites, Hispanics
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... _hispanics

Survey: "Among black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist"

Zimmerman seemed to have no racist motives, yet was made out to be like a KKK white person. If the forensics backs up Officer Wilson's story, then i think it will further back up said view.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2014, 5:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I'm not talking about 32 year old present me, I'm talking about 12 year old then me; should I have been comforted? More importantly, I managed to avoid turning into a racist myself only through a lot of thought and self examination, which not to flatter myself, but isn't something everyone can or will do, it would have been very easy to allow my experience to shape my view of an entire race. So, do you think treating people like me like 'poor little white boy, people were mean to you' is constructive, or more likely to result in more racists?

People have no sense of perspective. The unemployed in our countries have it hard, but thanks to government support they're a lot better off than people were 100 years ago, or a poor family in Somalia today.

Sure, you had it tough. The fact that other people had it worse than you doesn't make you feel any better. But you shouldn't say that you've experienced racism, because you haven't.
LoveNotHate wrote:
I think black people are viewed as the most racist, because of the persistent accusations of racism.
Again with the victim blaming... so you're saying you want black people to just roll over and let racism continue to exist? That is a stupid idea.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 5:26 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Again with the victim blaming... so you're saying you want black people to just roll over and let racism continue to exist? That is a stupid idea.

It is like the fable of "The boy who cried "wolf" ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

After many false accusations, e.g. "OJ Simpson was framed by racist white cops", "Zimmerman was targeting black people" ... etc. etc. Then people stop believing the accusations, and assume the person is a liar. Black people have played the "race card" so much, that I think that is why the survey showed they are viewed as the most racist.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 5:51 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What about when those hassled kids grow up and turn into racist cops? It's a cycle, and you need to break the whole thing if you're going to have any impact at all.

While that's possible, I suspect most racist cops were the bullies when they were kids.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Sure, you had it tough. The fact that other people had it worse than you doesn't make you feel any better. But you shouldn't say that you've experienced racism, because you haven't.

Okay, sergeant semantics, if you want to go that way, you don't actually know if I've experienced racism or not, you only know what I've told you about this particular period of my life, when I experienced 'being targeted for antagonism due to my race', if you insist. However, I'm not here to claim some sort of victimhood, I would have used a hypothetical example if I hadn't actually had the experience that I did. Again, if I was interested in some sort of victim pissing contest I could relay some more textbook cases of racism I've experienced, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here, which is that all racism needs to be taken equally seriously if the issue is ever going to gain any real traction, otherwise more resentment is just sown.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 7:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
While that's possible, I suspect most racist cops were the bullies when they were kids.

Based on what?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm

Maybe because little bullies grow up to be big bullies.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Okay, sergeant semantics, if you want to go that way, you don't actually know if I've experienced racism or not, you only know what I've told you about this particular period of my life, when I experienced 'being targeted for antagonism due to my race', if you insist. However, I'm not here to claim some sort of victimhood, I would have used a hypothetical example if I hadn't actually had the experience that I did. Again, if I was interested in some sort of victim pissing contest I could relay some more textbook cases of racism I've experienced, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here, which is that all racism needs to be taken equally seriously if the issue is ever going to gain any real traction, otherwise more resentment is just sown.

I think you and I both know in real-world practice, you wouldn't gain any traction that way, either. All you'd get is an equal amount of more resentment on all sides. I mean, the trick is to actually GET everyone to take both sides of racism equally seriously, and I just don't see that happening.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Based on what?

What MissLizard said.