Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

adomka
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2014, 8:00 pm

I just got let go from a customer service job working at a local museum. I was reported by a board member coming for a meeting that I was not happy or friendly enough and did not feel as welcomed as their last visit was. Apparently any direct complaint from a board member results in termination.

Ive already filed for unemployment and waiting for a response with that.
I have been diagnosed for AS and have filed for disability but been denied.
My biggest fear now is that when looking for new jobs they always have a spot asking if you have ever been fired or asked to resign. So I feel very stuck now and feel like telling the truth there immediately disqualifies you for the position, but I wont lie on an application.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 10:24 pm

You should be honest. Being fired will not disqualify you for a new job, but lying on the application definitely will. Just try to make some kind of excuse and try to make your parting sound as positive as it possibly can.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

25 Aug 2014, 10:30 pm

Definitely be honest about it, but be careful how you explain it. Rather than saying something like: "People thought I was snarky", you might phrase it like "I wasn't suited for working in customer service" and maybe elaborate on it, such as being fearful of large crowds or nervous around strangers.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 5:39 am

Be honest. But don't sweat it looking for a new job. You were working for @$$clowns. The thing about working for @$$clowns is everyone knows who they are, i.e. they have a reputation in the work community. You'll probably get a few sympathetic snickers at the next job interview.

I know someone this happened to in banking. Except getting fired would have been doing her a favor. Instead they chose to make her miserable until she quit. This was a bank with a history of high employee turnover and other bank admins in the area were fully aware of it. She got offered the first job she interviewed for and she took it. It's not easy working for crazy people, and you'll lose your mind trying.

adomka
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2014, 8:38 am

katiesBoyfriend wrote:
Definitely be honest about it, but be careful how you explain it. Rather than saying something like: "People thought I was snarky", you might phrase it like "I wasn't suited for working in customer service" and maybe elaborate on it, such as being fearful of large crowds or nervous around strangers.

Thanks, I guess my biggest problem is when filling out new application is explaining why with out sounding like I am an unfriendly and rude person.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

26 Aug 2014, 8:39 pm

adomka wrote:
katiesBoyfriend wrote:

Thanks, I guess my biggest problem is when filling out new application is explaining why with out sounding like I am an unfriendly and rude person.

You're welcome. Sometimes one can tell the truth without telling the truth, if you get my meaning. But, whatever you do, be courteous and diplomatic and don't tell the interviewers anything they don't need to know.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2014, 9:03 am

This is where artful language comes into play. You could write something like this, "I had a good experience working at the ____ museum but I was also looking at moving on." You could make it look like it was a mutual parting of ways and that you bare no grudge.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 10:52 am

mattschwartz01 wrote:
This is where artful language comes into play. You could write something like this, "I had a good experience working at the ____ museum but I was also looking at moving on." You could make it look like it was a mutual parting of ways and that you bare no grudge.

Agreed. I'm self-employed now, but if I were to ever interview for another job-job, I'd admit up-front that I have authority issues and that I disagreed with the school headmaster on the direction of my program (band program, btw, and enrollment in it has steadily shrunk since I got let go). As to the aforementioned authority issues, I'd stress that I'm looking for either a job that allows me autonomy or is vested in an authentic team mentality--either way, you trust me to get results and leave me alone! What happens in a lot of work environments is they'll make those claims but resort to old-school power plays. I have no desire to work for someone whose administrators don't invest in employees and whose employees don't respect or care for each other. I don't expect to get hired many places with that attitude?but I'm sure whoever DOES hire me will be worth working for.