Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm

So, I have a friend who swears by online dating; and when I mentioned that there was an AS dating site, she is badgering me to sign up.

I've checked out the site a few times in the past,and I was wondering how functional the site is.

Has anyone here met someone through Aspie Affection?

I am not sure online dating is for me, I feel anxious meeting someone in person, but I think online dating would make me more nervous, not even knowing who I'm meeting.

Is Aspie Affection a good idea to meet people near me? I don't know.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2014, 8:59 pm

You're only 18, so I don't exactly understand why she thinks you should be rushing to sign up for a e-dating service. Aspie Affection has many problems- you're not likely to find somebody near you, the male to female ratio is not even, and it's buggy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 7:06 am

You could meet lots of girls in college--in person.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 2:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You could meet lots of girls in college--in person.

depends on the college. i met a quite a few girls. they were all married.
i don't imagine many single women go to my local college.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 4:37 pm

Not many 18-year-olds are married these days. And there will be lots of 18-year-olds in his college.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 6:23 pm

In theory, a dating site for people with ASDs is a good idea.
From my past experience & recent things I've read here in WP forum,
Aspie Affection is not really functional (hasn't been for many years), on a technological level.
It's not maintained, glitches and complaints aren't repaired/addressed/replied to.

Have gotten search results for sites where people with disabilities and/or mental differences can find each other/someone.
But haven't ventured into them to see if any have enough population to make it useful, esp. if one isn't living in large city.

I use 2 or 3 dating sites online.
It's not an easy process, but has higher rate of allowing me to meet new people
than waiting in the grocery checkout line for some magic social interaction to happen out of the blue.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2014, 6:47 pm

The problem with a dating website for autistic people is that the male : female ratio is very heavily skewed, leading to disappointment and frustration for many people who sign up. I would love to date a girl with autism so we could relate to each other, but they are rare ( let alone females who would sign up for such a website), often live too far away or they were already approached by NTs. It's no use to narrow yourself down to only females who have some form of autism when the ratios are that skewed.

If you are serious about dating the best idea is to go to a dating agency that does screening and blind matching based on interests. They will match you so you do not have to worry about mailing people only to be disappointed each time. People who sign up for those are often more serious and accepting. A lot of people with disabilities use those services as compared to regular internet dating they also give protection from abuse by screening everyone who joins.

Last edited by qFox on 04 Sep 2014, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 6:51 pm

Yeah, i checked out Aspie Affection, okCupid, and Christian Mingle. I don't think I'm cut out for online dating (or any dating, for that matter)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 10:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Not many 18-year-olds are married these days. And there will be lots of 18-year-olds in his college.

should have said married or in a relationship. ie not many single women.