Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 7:26 pm

I am taking Carbatrol to control my seizures, which have been well-controlled for about 12 years. I take 300 mg of it twice a day. This morning, I forgot to take it. I have a fairly good memory of taking my medication, so I don't know why I forgot (last time it happened was 3 years ago).

I know certain consequences can happen when you forget at least one dose, so I was wondering, can you die from seizures just from missing one dose, and what can I do to prevent myself from forgetting again, or if I forget again?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 8:22 pm

i remember my meds because i pair them with something - breakfast and bedtime. you could use brushing your teeth or anything that is part of your routine.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 9:04 pm

If you forget a dose, you should take the med as soon as possible, except if you are a few hours away from the next dose (in this case just forget about the dose).
I don't know the effect of missing a dose in chronic patients, but you take the drug since a long time ago, so the serum level won't drop to a level that will be dangerous. You probably won't have a seizure.

Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP) is very unlikely for people who are medicated (and also rare in people who are not). It is more likely to die from the fall that you can suffer if you are standing right before a seizure.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Sep 2014, 12:11 am

I think the effects of missing a dose depend on the med(it's safer if it has a longer half-life which is time it takes for half of it to dissolve) & it also depends on what type of seizures you have.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Solo_Operator
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2014, 9:25 pm

If I didn't have a reminder ring tone, on my phone I would probably always forget for at least a half a day

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 12:03 pm

Solo_Operator wrote:
If I didn't have a reminder ring tone, on my phone I would probably always forget for at least a half a day

^that's what keeps me on schedule.

As for missing, it happens occasionally for me, and usually I start to feel dizzy and light headed and then start getting headaches and nausea, so I get physical reminders and have always just taken it late. But I am on a ridiculously huge amount of anti-convulsants, so this may not apply to your case.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 6:36 pm

I take Carbatrol to control my seizures too, but in order to avoid forgetting taking your recommended doses of Carbatrol, buy yourself a pill box. I use a pill box too and it has worked perfectly.

You can buy a pill box for cheap, depending on where you can buy one for cheap.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 3:25 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I take Carbatrol to control my seizures too, but in order to avoid forgetting taking your recommended doses of Carbatrol, buy yourself a pill box. I use a pill box too and it has worked perfectly.

You can buy a pill box for cheap, depending on where you can buy one for cheap.

I actually have one of those for a few years now, and knew I forgot when the day I was supposed to take my pills still had the pills inside it. I was able to remember since then, though.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm

I used to take 400mg of carbamazepine twice a day for temporal lobe epilepsy and other forms that developed over the years. You could have a bad wh***y if you take two doses straight away and trying to get the dosages right in order to prevent a seizure or a stoning type reaction with double vision. In this case if yoy forgot your tablets then take them with your evening dosage then you are almost guaranteed a wh***y and it is advisable to go to hospital if you have accidently double dosed. However I still before 1992 had two seizures a month of absence seizure or dropsies which the epilepsy was becoming from the 1980s onwards as well as temporal lobe seizures which have been mistaken for schizophrenia but but is helped by prescripton tablets but not sufficiently enough for me at that time. :arrow: