Asperger and Genetics, Or: Will My Kids Have It?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 11:10 am

I am the biological father of three children, three boys. I wonder how big the chance is of them developing Asperger? I heard many things are genetic... but genes don't always work the way you think they would. For example: the facial hair you can grow as a man doesn't depend on your father's genes, but those of your maternal grandfather. I wonder if it's the father or the mother's genes that are the strongest factor in determining autism. I wonder if it skips generations, or is a parent-child thing. And of course, statistics...

Anyone here can shed a light on this? Any autistic people here with children, and if so, are they autistic? Are some NT? How many are NT, how many AS? I am curious to know and think this is an important issue to discuss, also for future reference.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 11:23 am

I don't think there is enough information to answer your question with probabilities. Too many genes and probably epigenetic factors are likely involved.

Anecdotally, in my case:

My dad, in hindsight clearly was an aspie, though undiagnosed. My mother is NT (with anxiety and OCD but not AS) but odd.
I am an undiagnosed aspie.
I am much more aspie than my husband. (Both of us are undiagnosed) There may be some aspie tendencies on both sides of my husband's family, but mostly on his father's with an assortment of other things in both lines (undiagnosed) primarily ADD.
Our son is diagnosed with ASD.

I most probably would have received most if not all aspie genes from my dad's side. The same with my husband. I am more aspie than my husband, so my son probably got some from me and my husband, but there would be more on my end, in all probability.

Regardless, your kids either will or won't, so I understand the need to think about it in advance. If we had been diagnosed we would have done the same. In the end it doesn't much matter. You will either see signs or you won't.You will love and appreciate who they are, whether NT or AS.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

Charloz wrote:
I am the biological father of three children, three boys. I wonder how big the chance is of them developing Asperger? I heard many things are genetic... but genes don't always work the way you think they would. For example: the facial hair you can grow as a man doesn't depend on your father's genes, but those of your maternal grandfather. I wonder if it's the father or the mother's genes that are the strongest factor in determining autism. I wonder if it skips generations, or is a parent-child thing. And of course, statistics...

Anyone here can shed a light on this? Any autistic people here with children, and if so, are they autistic? Are some NT? How many are NT, how many AS? I am curious to know and think this is an important issue to discuss, also for future reference.

i think you have it backwards--you probably should have looked for this information before donating to the sperm bank and creating the kids you're now wondering might have autism, whose mothers might have had a chance to be informed of the possibility of their children inheriting autism if you had bothered to inform the clinic of the diagnosis (about which you admit they asked and you lied--which i think you also admitted it illegal though you seem doubtful about the immorality of this dishonesty/fraud.) did you get paid for your "donation"? and yeah, if you did get paid, then you committed fraud by lying about your medical history to get paid.

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 11:44 am

starvingartist wrote:
i think you have it backwards--you probably should have looked for this information before donating to the sperm bank and creating the kids you're now wondering might have autism, whose mothers might have had a chance to be informed of the possibility of their children inheriting autism if you had bothered to inform the clinic of the diagnosis (about which you admit they asked and you lied--which i think you also admitted it illegal though you seem doubtful about the immorality of this dishonesty/fraud.) did you get paid for your "donation"? and yeah, if you did get paid, then you committed fraud by lying about your medical history to get paid.

Survival of the fittest in this society mostly means "survival of who is smartest". Sometimes you need to bypass rules and requirements in order to win in the game of life, and the game of genetics. It's not a risk I was willing to take, the risk to be denied for this reason alone. Are AS people not allowed to reproduce anymore?

Fraud, you say. Just being clever I say. And those women will be happy to have me as a donor because as it just so happens I'm quite a good looking and physically gifted individual, I am also rather intelligent. I am sure all of my children will be smart and attractive, who cares if they may not be entirely "mainstream"? I was asking not because of the donations but because my fiancée plan on having children and I am curious if our kids would have it, yes or no (fiancée also does not know and thinks I am entirely NT which I sort of see as a compliment).

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 12:10 pm

Charloz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

Survival of the fittest in this society mostly means "survival of who is smartest". Sometimes you need to bypass rules and requirements in order to win in the game of life, and the game of genetics. It's not a risk I was willing to take, the risk to be denied for this reason alone. Are AS people not allowed to reproduce anymore?

Fraud, you say. Just being clever I say. And those women will be happy to have me as a donor because as it just so happens I'm quite a good looking and physically gifted individual, I am also rather intelligent. I am sure all of my children will be smart and attractive, who cares if they may not be entirely "mainstream"? I was asking not because of the donations but because my fiancée plan on having children and I am curious if our kids would have it, yes or no (fiancée also does not know and thinks I am entirely NT which I sort of see as a compliment).

:lol: yeah, you definitely sound like a catch--what a lucky fiancée you have!

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm

starvingartist wrote:

There's really no reason to be rude... I have never been rude to you so why would you personally attack me like this? I think that's a bit of a low blow when all I did was express my opinion and I never said anything bad to you or did anything wrong. :?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 2:03 pm

Families of one child on the spectrum, 20% of another child  (Ozonoff et al.,2011)

"Recurrence risk for autism spectrum"

Pediatrics, 128(3)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 2:08 pm

I think there should be greater acceptance of autism spectrum, and I think there should be greater appreciation of autism spectrum, for people on the spectrum have a lot to offer, and their rights, quality of life, and future prospects are as important as anyone else's are.

I do think people should be honest in sperm donation, even if the system is crappy.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 2:28 pm

Charloz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

There's really no reason to be rude... I have never been rude to you so why would you personally attack me like this? I think that's a bit of a low blow when all I did was express my opinion and I never said anything bad to you or did anything wrong. :?

you were just talking about how you don't feel like you need to follow rules and so circumvent them when you feel like it (like, say, defrauding sperm banks), and that you are lying to your fiancée who you are planning to have children with while continuing to lie to her about a condition that you could pass on to your kids, and you're asking me why i responded to you the way i did??? really???

8O

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 2:45 pm

Charloz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

Any opportunity to attack a man... It's not personal with her, there's 3.5 billion of us to hate, that takes a lot of time & energy.
Probably people likable enough to be loved wouldn't have the time nor energy.
Nor inclination.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 2:48 pm

1401b wrote:
Charloz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

Any opportunity to attack a man... It's not personal with her, there's 3.5 billion of us to hate, that takes a lot of time & energy.
Probably people likable enough to be loved wouldn't have the time nor energy.
Nor inclination.

you guys sure lack for originality. any woman who dares to call a guy on his sh***y behaviour=man-hater. got it. :thumright:

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 2:54 pm

starvingartist wrote:
you were just talking about how you don't feel like you need to follow rules and so circumvent them when you feel like it (like, say, defrauding sperm banks

Rules are made to be broken. They are bars, and they make a cage for those too weak to break out.

starvingartist wrote:
and that you are lying to your fiancée who you are planning to have children with while continuing to lie to her

I don't lie... she never asked me, and I never told her. Why should I? She never had any reason to assume I am anything but 'NT' for the two years we have been together now. I say we good.

starvingartist wrote:
about a condition that you could pass on to your kids, and you're asking me why i responded to you the way i did??? really???

8O

What 'condition'? It's just Asperger's. It's not cancer or Ebola. I'm afraid she'll say something like "lets adopt" or whatever if I tell her. So I remain silent on the subject. As is my right.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 2:59 pm

Charloz wrote:
Rules are made to be broken. They are bars, and they make a cage for those too weak to break out.

are you going to start quoting nietzsche next, or maybe might is right by that redbeard douche? :lol:

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Charloz wrote:

are you going to start quoting nietzsche next, or maybe might is right by that redbeard douche? :lol:

What's wrong with red beards, aren't you a redhead yourself?

Excuse me for being a little philosophical and creative with my language... am so sorry to try and write something worthwhile without you putting me down like that for no apparent reason.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 3:07 pm

Charloz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Charloz wrote:

What's wrong with red beards, aren't you a redhead yourself?

Excuse me for being a little philosophical and creative with my language... am so sorry to try and write something worthwhile without you putting me down like that for no apparent reason.

it wasn't the "creative language" i was responding to, but the sentiment expressed. it sounds sociopathic, and they tend to like quoting nietzsche, redbeard, marquis de sade, etc. in their online justifications for their immoral/illegal behaviour.

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 3:10 pm

starvingartist wrote:
it wasn't the "creative language" i was responding to, but the sentiment expressed. it sounds sociopathic, and they tend to like quoting nietzsche, redbeard, marquis de sade, etc. in their online justifications for their immoral/illegal behaviour.

I don't have any need for a bunch of overrated philosophers and their overrated quotes and can perfectly justify my actions and motivations without them. Now as for the sentiment expressed... sure, that's my sentiment. My opinion, and I stand by it. If I play by the rules society wishes to wipe out my 'defect', so I will not play by the rules of those who see me as a burden rather then a blessing.