Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 2:31 pm

There are also a lot of children on the spectrum who are happy to be alive, who don't hit, swear and cry. There are also children on the spectrum who do like to be hugged and cuddled. Not all people on the spectrum are unhappy to be alive.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 3:01 pm

Joe, I want you to know that your question is absolutely valid and ok to ask.

It conflicts with some other issues some of us are dealing with and I believe that is what's driving the backlash you are hearing.

I'd recommend you see a genetic counselor. That is someone who is trained to deal with questions like yours and who can actually get you real numbers.

Here, we can only share why we were happy or unhappy to be brought into the world and/or the genetic and environmental impact on our children. I can say that I believe my own personal spectrum-colored understanding of the world has significantly lessened the burden for my own son on the spectrum. But, every single situation is different.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 3:33 pm

Please let me emphasize: I wasn't trying to criticize.

I just feel that Asperger's/Autism does not preclude one from a happy life.

It's difficult to raise a kid no matter if he/she is "NT" or autistic.

Autism presents with unique challenges--each individual child, period, presents with unique challenges.

It's not the "end of the world" if you happen to give birth to a child with autism.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 6:52 pm

Sez you, kk, you're not the one raising the kid. I've seen what some parents go through and there are days when, as hard as my grind is, I'm deeply, deeply grateful not to be in their situation.

OP: Yes, there is a greater risk for you than for the general population. Autism is not, however, rare at this point. If you absolutely do not want to have an autistic child, your only option right now is not to have a child at all. If you want to mitigate the risk, you can use an egg donor with no history of AS in the family, though you're relying on the donor's honesty, which is not necessarily smart.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 8:40 pm

By that logic, I might not have been born--and many great people wouldn't have been born.

Actually, like I stated before, there's no evidence of autism in my family--except me.

I was plenty autistic during my preschool days; I'm sure my mother felt regretful at times; however, despite her narcissist self, she decided not to institutionalize me--like some doctors were suggesting. She decided I was worth the trouble.

I could understand your concerns, though.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

metaldanielle wrote:
You don't choose what type of kid you get. That's the risk you take when you get pregnant. Your kid may be a genius who discovers a world-changing fact or invention, they may be a serial killer, they may be a superstar, they may have a severe medical condition that causes them a lifetime of pain and an early death, and yeah, they may be on the spectrum. You want a kid, you gotta deal with that.

Children can tell when their parent resents them, my mother treats me like crap because I'm not what she wanted. Do your hypothetical kids a favor and don't have them.

I agree with every word you wrote and that's exactly the reason why I can only respect Joe90's position. Too many people don't even consider their kids might not be little perfect versions of themselves and when they end up with what they see as a "defective" one they cause great harm to the child and probably themselves too.

Joe90, if you don't feel able or prepared to raise an autistic kid, you shouldn't take the chance. Would you consider adoption?

BTW, I'm the father of an AS son and an NT daughter.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 9:53 pm

+1

What I meant: Joe90 shouldn't prevent herself from having kids if she wants to have kids.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 10:10 pm

Joe90
I suggest you spend some time babysitting to get some experience with babies in general.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 11:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Then how come so many ASD parents here seem to have at least one child on the spectrum? :?

Also, I am not dissing Autistic people. I just don't want to bring a child with an ASD into this world. If the child has mild Asperger's like me, it might not get the support it needs because it is not ''disabled'' enough, and has more chance of getting bullied through school, which might make it unhappy, and the last thing I want is an unhappy child who hates it's life and asks me every day why it was ever born, which breaks my heart.

Your child, if AS, would have tremendous amount of support. From you. Unlike ...well, the rest of us (perhaps even including yourself) that grew up before there was so much information about the condition and grew up in a time where the label of autistic literally meant 'brain damaged', your child would be growing up with a parent that is very well informed and in a society that now has many support options.

AspieOtaku: Doesn't work that way.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 1:59 pm

metaldanielle wrote:
You don't choose what type of kid you get. That's the risk you take when you get pregnant. Your kid may be a genius who discovers a world-changing fact or invention, they may be a serial killer, they may be a superstar, they may have a severe medical condition that causes them a lifetime of pain and an early death

OMG, what a crazy thought. It's true but to think about it is so weird. I could give birth to an Eistein or a Marc Zuckerberg, but I could also give birth to a mentally retarted child. I could give birth to a serial killer, I could also give birth to an ambitious idealist. And that's all a matter of a certain seed and an egg coming together.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 2:05 pm

I beg to god that if I decide to have children at some point, the best egg is fertilized.

January egg > Sociable Eistein
Februari egg > Depressed anti-social drug addict

Noooooooooooooooooooo. Crazy thought.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 2:09 pm

My daughter has AS like me and I feel terribly guilty sometimes because although she is happy with me she does not make the best of her life as a 22 year old woman.

I'm glad you are thinking rationally and sensibly about this Joe but when the time comes that you do have a child you will love it and do your best by it regardless of whether he/she is autistic or not.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 2:29 pm

babybird wrote:
My daughter has AS like me and I feel terribly guilty sometimes because although she is happy with me she does not make the best of her life as a 22 year old woman.

I'm glad you are thinking rationally and sensibly about this Joe but when the time comes that you do have a child you will love it and do your best by it regardless of whether he/she is autistic or not.

What do you mean with 'she does not make the best of her life as a 22 year old woman'?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 2:37 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
babybird wrote:

What do you mean with 'she does not make the best of her life as a 22 year old woman'?

I mean that she has no friends, she doesn't go out, she doesn't work and she doesn't even want to.

She'll go out if she's with me and she is quite happy.

I don't push her or put any pressure on her because she's only got me (we have no other family) but I think sometimes I make life a little too comfortable for her.

I don't know. It's really hard being a parent. You never know if you're doing right or doing wrong. :)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 3:44 pm

I think you need to stop thinking in terms of ASD or NT. They are a child first. Each child is an individual. Both my children have grown into beautiful, caring adults I am proud to know. Do I care that one is AS and one is NT? No.
Now ask yourself, do you want a CHILD.

Casandraelf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2014, 4:46 pm

I'd probably be more scared if I wound up with an NT kid as opposed to a kid on the spectrum.

Asperger's already messes with my perspective of things, so how in the wild blue hell am I supposed to help a kid who's not even close to the spectrum survive in an NT dominated world?