can a 5' 6 guy still be attractive?

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 1:43 am

Venger wrote:
sly279 wrote:
I'm 6'4" and it doesn't make me attractive. I don't think height has much to do with attraction, face shape and body build have more to do with it.

just makes me a tall ugly dude, who's useful for changing light bulbs.

I'm exactly 5'11"(without shoes) which is taller than at least 90% of the women I come across, and the majority of guys I see as well. Being 6 ft+ is WAY overrrated, and often unattractive in my opinion. Cause it sometimes makes the height ratio of a potential couple likely to be overly-mismatched where they look awkward together.(if the female is fairly short, and they often are)

yes the height gap I see in some couples is just so much. I do feel a bit attracted to shorter thin women. though in reality the practically of it would be hard.

if height played a big part one would assume i'd have women craving me. they look at my picture in most causes and ignore me. so its not just wanting a tall guy. life might be a bit easier if I was shorter. but meh. like I don't fit normal beds, my feet hang over, I bump my head on stuff etc.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 2:25 pm

I'll admit this: I've been getting help for about a year now in finding myself a new GF from a 35-year-old woman who works at a bar by my house. She's five-two and I'm five-nine. Many of the people who work at the bar call us "The Odd Couple" because we often act like an actual couple.
:lol: 8)

Does she know I'm an Aspie? Yes and she's OK with it.

thedaveman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2014, 2:33 pm

Nope! You must be at least 5'7 or accompanied with an adult to go on this ride.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 4:55 pm

thedaveman wrote:
Nope! You must be at least 5'7 or accompanied with an adult to go on this ride.

:lol: Thanks for making me smile! ... and also nicely pointing out how silly the original question is.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 9:19 am

Chances are, the girls you want to date spend a lot of time trying to look good.

You should reciprocate and look good yourself.

This means that you should wear clothes that flatter your appearance.
For me, this means wearing clothes that fit snugly, to show off my actual proportions.
This is true for most small men--loose fitting clothes make you look even smaller.

Ebay is your friend--I can find discontinued XS sizes no longer available in stores or online from the retailers who originally sold them. Buy from sellers who actually measure the clothes and post the measured sizes. If they mess up--return the clothes--its their error--only happened to me once and I got an apology as well. Clothes sizes are fictional. The selection of men's XS clothes is tiny. If you don't mind the buttons on the wrong side you actually have a greater selection of women's S clothes, even though what you want is only a tiny fraction of the women's market for button down shirts. The styles appropriate for men are usually quite cheap--you don't find these bargains buying men's XS.

Tailoring is another option.

It may be helpful to study the fashion tip pages to find colors that flatter your skin tones and eye color.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

I'm 5'10" and I do prefer taller men, however it doesn't realistic. If you're confident enough to not make me feel awkward I don't really care about a person's height. To me 5'6" isn't that short anyway. I would feel a little awkward around someone who's a lot shorter 5'1"ish, I'm athletically built too. I think I would dwarf someone around that height :(. I think the national average is 5'8", 5'6" shouldn't be considered short.

So far every guy who's around 5'5" kept talking about my height, and I have a bit of a complex about it since I don't like to stand out lol. The main reason those relationships didn't work out.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 8:34 pm

I don't see why not...hell sometimes I wish more guys where shorter. I am 4'11 and while being tall is not a deal breaker for me, I feel being closer in height might be good for practical reasons, but have dated/hooked up with guys around 6 feet not because its my preference though.

But yeah I do not think height really determines attractiveness.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

Defiantly! I'm a 5'2 female and actually like the 5'6-5'9 height range on guys. Having to be on my tip toes to get a hug or kiss would be kinda awkward.

I like guys who are happy with their appearance. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 11:47 pm

I'm 5 foot 5, and I do okay. I think many women like men who are taller than them. However, height doesn't have to be a deal-breaker

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2014, 9:26 am

From what I've seen, height does determine attractiveness......at least when it comes to men.

Every short dude I know, despite his personality or looks, is single. Every last one (numbers into the thousands). Meanwhile, men are slobbering over all types of women who are all different heights. (me myself, I prefer women who are either shorter than me......or taller than me. But I wouldn't be adverse to dating a woman who is exactly my height or something)

It's another stupid double standard.

People try to bring up examples like Napoleon Bonaparte as indication that short dudes can be attractive, but he was rich. Anybody who is that rich can find someone instantly. Tom Cruise is the same way. He's like 5'5" and a major douche, but still manages to get women because of his money.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 1:44 pm

CynicalWaffle wrote:
From what I've seen, height does determine attractiveness......at least when it comes to men.

Every short dude I know, despite his personality or looks, is single. Every last one (numbers into the thousands). Meanwhile, men are slobbering over all types of women who are all different heights. (me myself, I prefer women who are either shorter than me......or taller than me. But I wouldn't be adverse to dating a woman who is exactly my height or something)

It's another stupid double standard.

People try to bring up examples like Napoleon Bonaparte as indication that short dudes can be attractive, but he was rich. Anybody who is that rich can find someone instantly. Tom Cruise is the same way. He's like 5'5" and a major douche, but still manages to get women because of his money.

That's an interesting observation because it's very similar to mine.

I was doing mental count for a while of short male acquaintances (who are as my height or little taller/shorter) and their relationship status. I've also once spent a boring evening recalling all the short dudes from school/university and checking their Fb page/photos.

Most are chronically single, with apparently no to little relationship exp in their past (no couple photo on their FB ever, it's very unlikely for a guy these days to not put at least one photo of him with his gf), I only know 4 exceptions: My math teacher at school who was really short and whom his wife was significantly taller than him, my former supervisor who married late (in 40s) and his wife is 15 years younger than him, another example is a senior man in his 60s who claims he was a ladies-man and he's now with a Chinese wife who's less than half his age, there's also a really short guy (shorter than me) who was an university colleague, he was very extrovert and he did have a girlfriend who dumped him not because of height, he's married now to a veiled lady (which makes me automatically assume it is one of those arranged marriage because this how veiled girls usually get married).

There are other two mates who were really short during mid-school (both were very talented in sport field and one in music) are married now but they gained significant height in their senior years, so they eventually get average height.

Short girls are only more likely to be chronically single than taller girls when they're overweight - I did a mental observation of them too, and only the overweight short girls were more likely to be single.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 1:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm 5 foot 5, and I do okay. I think many women like men who are taller than them. However, height doesn't have to be a deal-breaker

This. Height definitely determines attractiveness, but I know quite a few men below 5'7 that have amazing girlfriends. The guy I am dating right now is sligtly over 6'2. I wish he was a few inches shorter, because I am only 5'3.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 3:23 pm

CynicalWaffle wrote:

How do you think Tom got his money? He certainly wasn't born into wealth. He is the Justin Beiber of the 1980s-he appealed to young girls--a very important movie demographic.

All the three short guys where I work have been married for a long time (under 5' 3")--though my wife of 15 years recently passed away. Being an Aspie, it took a while for me to figure out how attractive I was. 8O
My wife would get really annoyed when some lady I was talking to was all over me like a cheap suit...

According to some US Census data, 30% of women (20 to 39) are 5' 3" or shorter. So, even if there is a bias against hooking up a man shorter than a woman, there are still a lot of eligible females for short guys.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 3:51 pm

BTDT wrote:
CynicalWaffle wrote:

How do you think Tom got his money? He certainly wasn't born into wealth. He is the Justin Beiber of the 1980s-he appealed to young girls--a very important movie demographic.

All the three short guys where I work have been married for a long time (under 5' 3")--though my wife of 15 years recently passed away. Being an Aspie, it took a while for me to figure out how attractive I was. 8O
My wife would get really annoyed when some lady I was talking to was all over me like a cheap suit...

According to some US Census data, 30% of women (20 to 39) are 5' 3" or shorter. So, even if there is a bias against hooking up a man shorter than a woman, there are still a lot of eligible females for short guys.

:lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Dec 2014, 4:33 pm

I'm about 5'7" myself I would say there is a large subset of women where it does play a significant factor for in terms of how attractive they find a man. There are a lot of vapid shallow people of both genders, I do think it is a bit of double standard how this axiom is seen as culturally acceptable with little push back compared to the how shallowness in men is so looked down upon. We hear a lot about body shaming and discrimination nowadays, mostly when it comes to overweight people but heightism seems a lot nastier to me since there is literally nothing you can do to change it. Most overweight people can go on a diet or go the gym, I could sleep on a torture rack every night and I won't be any taller. It's basically like racism. I'm not blaming women totally either, plenty of men are complicit in this height bias too.

Obviously there are men and women that aren't all like this since we exist, if it were universal we'd all be looking like some Nazi wet dream right now. My mom's entire side of the family is short, I'm taller than a lot of my male relatives who are almost all married and have kids.

It's whatever, I can't change and I can't change how other people think so there is no point being distressed over it. There is no point in pining for the interest of someone that won't give you the light of day, I wouldn't be attracted to someone like that anyways.

RyanLewty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2014, 8:41 pm

Scientifically and (evolutionarily) speaking, women aren't actually primarily attracted to a man's physical appearance.

They are generally much more concerned with a mans 'social status' and the socially attractive personality traits he displays.

So you can be an average or shorter man, and as long as you do (or learn to) project socially confident and 'high self esteem' social signals in a way that other people can pick up on, then you really can attract women regardless of how beautiful they are.

I hope this helps :)
I run a blog where I talk about this sort of stuff, feel free to check it out succeedingsociallyaspie.com