Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Elanor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2014, 11:54 am

My psychiatrist told me at my last visit that he thinks I have early warning signs of paranoid schizophrenia in addition to autism and he wants to do more tests on me. Has anyone else received both diagnoses? What is it like being treated for both? I'm pretty worried right now and don't know what to think.

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2014, 4:48 pm

I don't know either. I wonder if the two are co-occuring?

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2014, 11:40 pm

DON'T PANIC. You are not your diagnosis, and never will be. No matter what they call you, you will always be you.

I'm not schizophrenic, but one of my uncles is, so I used to really worry that I'll have a schizophrenic break. I'm only 27. . . I could literally wake up tomorrow hearing voices.

But I don't worry about it anymore, even though I still know it could really happen.

Here, watch this TED talk on the topic: http://www.ted.com/talks/eleanor_longden_the_voices_in_my_head

:geek:

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 3:12 am

the medicine i got for my aleged schizophrenia was much worse then anything i have ever experienced before

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm

I am sure Cornflake will redirect this thread into Random.

As for the OP, I am schizophrenic. I was diagnosed as such in a Finnish loony bin. Not that I complain, I liked it there. Not the piano people, though.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 2:29 pm

http://www.ted.com/talks/elyn_saks_seei ... al_illness

CJ404
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2014, 3:48 pm

I have both paranoid schizophrenia and aspergers. And really getting these diagnoses has helped a lot- it means any psychology and pharmacology treatments that I am getting are appropriate to my needs.Just remember though that the diagnoses are just words, and they don't define you as a person.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2014, 10:22 am

Do people on the spectrum have higher rates of Schizophrenia than Neurotypicals?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 4:18 am

I've read someone here once stating that the two may be functionally opposite... although, I suppose yin and yang are opposes too and yet integrated...