Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 2:08 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about it working for people with autism. I have sleep problems, mostly due to taking concerta. I've tried EVERYTHING to help me sleep. I've tried sleeping pills, anxiety-relaxing meds and so much more. I just want to know if Melatonin will be effective in helping me sleep better at night. Has anyone taken this and had any good results?

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 2:11 pm

It's been really helpful for me, but meds can affect everyone differently. :)

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 8:49 pm

First time I took it it worked fine. Had a brilliant night's sleep and woke up refreshed.
After that it was downhill but that was as much to do with my mindset as anything else.
Is been a while now but it pays to do some reading.
Something vaguely stands me by about taking it with fruit juice half hour before bed time
Not that I remember exactly why.
You have reminded me I still got 3/4 of a box somewhere.
Didn't come cheap either :roll:

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2014, 10:56 pm

Melatonin helps me sleep, but if I take too much, then I get restless legs and can't sleep. The same thing happens to me with benadryl: it helps me sleep, but if I take too much I get restless legs and can't sleep.

Melatonin is produced naturally in the body in low light conditions, and if you can stimulate melatonin production in the last half hour before bed by turning the lights down, then that will be better than a pill. If your body isn't good at making it if you don't have control over lighting, then start on a low dose pill and only increase the dose if it doesn't seem to be working.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 1:04 am

I've had excellent results with Melatonin, but only with a particular brand (Natrol). I'd had problems getting to sleep my entire life, starting in childhood. My first attempt at taking Melatonin resulted in waking up horribly depressed every morning. Since it started right when I started taking Melatonin, it was easy to identify the cause, and it went away as soon as I stopped the Melatonin. A few years later I tried another brand, and it worked well for getting to sleep, but then I would wake up in the middle of the night and be unable to get back to sleep. Eventually I tried Natrol, and that has worked really well for me. I can even go off it for months and still be able to get to sleep easily, although eventually the effect wears off and I need to start taking it again. It's been a lifesaver. So my advice is to try it, but to be willing to try multiple brands if one does not work for you.

Edit: I should add that I take 3 mg. I started off with 5 mg, but I started to have issues with daytime sleepiness. 3 mg works for me without any sleepiness. So you may need to fiddle with dosage too.

Rosalinde
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

Melatonin works well for me when I can't sleep because my body is not yet ready to sleep (too much screen time, too early, et cetera). However, it does absolutely nothing when I can't sleep because of anxiety. It doesn't force you to sleep, it just makes your body believe it is bedtime.