Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 5:58 am

Are any you in an autistic program in your school? Or at least have them? My school just got a new autistic program and in going to be there for one period a day . What is an autism program like do you think I would like it? It seams like there is a large spectrum of kids but I think I just go for one period.im now in 11th grade. I'm not sure if I will like it or not. But i seam to be off autism at the moment.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 8:40 am

How are you doing in your other courses?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 10:35 am

Wouldn't hurt to try? Besides, You could be the first to tell us all on WP what the new class is like. I assume this is a "autism" specific class and not just another special ED class. Right?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 10:48 am

LupaLuna wrote:
Wouldn't hurt to try? Besides, You could be the first to tell us all on WP what the new class is like. I assume this is a "autism" specific class and not just another special ED class. Right?

I would like to know what the new class is like? I was never in a special ed school or class.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

None of my schools had them. I did go to a school that had self contained rooms but my parents got me out of that program because they found out it was not the right place for me. I didn't belong there. All I was doing was acting up because it was "school behavior." Plus I wasn't learning anything. They didn't give me any work other kids my age were doing and what they were learning. Then my next three schools didn't have any special programs. They all had special ed but no program.

I am not sure what an autism program is. I am picturing a room with bunch of kids on the spectrum and they are all gives a lecture on social skills and how to handle change and be flexible and how to stim appropriately. I also imagine the lights being dim and having a bunch of sound absorbent walls and a bunch of stim toys and no ticking clock. But I am with Lupaluna, it wouldn't hurt to try and you can come back and tell us what it was like and that they do in that class.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 6:28 pm

I would argue it's worse for the community because the other students will associate autism to the people of the class. There are special ed classes at my school, but the people in my school associate them with the "low-functioning" crowd. Most of the autistics I know are "higher functioning" and I'm always mad when I see them.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 11:51 pm

My school had a class for those of us who were neurodiverse to teach learning, organization skills, how the brain works and how to work with it and other interesting things. The class was one period in Grade 9 and replaced French since we were all exempt from it by then. This was 10 years ago. That was the closest thing we had to that.