Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 10:24 am

STORM WARNING (UPDATED): Among space weather forecasters, confidence is building that Earth's magnetic field will receive a double-blow from a pair of CMEs on Sept. 12th. The two storm clouds were propelled in our direction by explosions in the magnetic canopy of sunspot AR2158 on Sept. 9th and 10th. Strong geomagnetic storms are possible on Sept. 12th and 13th as a result of the consecutive impacts. Sky watchers, even those at mid-latitudes, should be alert for auroras in the nights ahead.
_ quoted from Spaceweather . com

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 10:43 am

Let's hope this geomagnetic storm isn't as powerful as the Carrington Event, or we could all be screwed. A major electromagnetic pulse could send us back to the mid-19th century in a heartbeat. That would be an unimaginable catastrophe of epic proportions.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Sep 2014, 11:52 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Let's hope this geomagnetic storm isn't as powerful as the Carrington Event, or we could all be screwed. A major electromagnetic pulse could send us back to the mid-19th century in a heartbeat. That would be an unimaginable catastrophe of epic proportions.
i know - all those computers and robots knocked out; my gawd, we'd actually have to put people back to work. how would the economy ever survive? </sarcasm>

seriously though, i am in complete belief that the advanced state of our technology is a major component of our societal woes. and when i see my amish & mennonite neighbors, it really doesn't look like life is all that bad for them.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 12:10 pm

Unfortunately, we have become too dependent on our technology to survive without it. The sad reality is if all our power and technology were wiped away by an EMP, the vast majority of us would be dead in a relatively short period of time.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 12:39 pm

It would be cool to see that,it's happened a few times here.I was lucky and saw it twice.What I viewed was no way as wonderful as this,I have trees on the north side but the pink glow from the north looked like a sunset,amazing.Glad I couldn't sleep those nights,I would have missed out. :D
http://youtu.be/urZXFmwUslw

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Sep 2014, 1:17 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Unfortunately, we have become too dependent on our technology to survive without it. The sad reality is if all our power and technology were wiped away by an EMP, the vast majority of us would be dead in a relatively short period of time.
perhaps YOU have, but the vast majority of the planet lives without your technological "necessities". and even here in the U.S. many live without, and many of them live quite well without.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 1:41 pm

I'm talking primarily about the U.S. And you're right, much of the planet wouldn't be as adversely effected as we would by an EMP as we would be.

You say there are people in the U.S. who "live without?" Are you talking about "living off the grid" -- or those without cell phones and the other technological wonders? If you're talking about people who live without any electricity or modern conveniences at all, I don't think their numbers are terribly high.

Perhaps you don't really understand what I'm talking about, here. If a major EMP occurred over the U.S. today, it would take out the power grid, fry batteries, computers, and electronics. We'd be left without any communication -- or transportation, for the most part -- struggling to understand what just happened. Imagine what the situation in hospitals, nursing homes, and other medical facilities would be like. Anyone dependent on machines to stay alive would be goners. Those would be the first die-offs.

People would pretty much be roaming about on foot, trying to find food to stay alive. Starvation would account for millions of deaths.

I know that sounds like an apocalyptic nightmare, but there are a lot of experts who believe it's a very real possibility. This could all be addressed if only we hardened our power grid and took the threat more seriously. Unfortunately, none of the bills introduced to congress to do just that have ever gained much traction.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 1:47 pm

Hi_Im_B0B wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
perhaps YOU have, but the vast majority of the planet lives without your technological "necessities". and even here in the U.S. many live without, and many of them live quite well without.

Hope they've got lots of guns to defend their crops and livestock, because the city folk are coming, they are hungry and armed. :wink: There is a saying that any society is only 3 square meals away from anarchy.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 2:06 pm

^I'm ready for those city folks,just let then try and boost a turnip. :twisted:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

Yep, it's time to stock up on the guns and ammo, folks. It's gonna get ugly out there!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Yep, it's time to stock up on the guns and ammo, folks. It's gonna get ugly out there!

If it comes to that, ammo would be a better thing to stockpile. Once ammo becomes scarce, guns will be pretty east to come by and ammo will become a de facto currency.

I give it a few months of people playing "Road Warrior" before that happens.

Although there are a lot of other things that would become crazy valuable. Like toothpaste, salt, candy. The apocolypse could turn out to be no problem for some of the hoarders out there.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 1:01 pm

Yeah, hoarders will need to watch out. When things get bad, they're likely to be killed just for their bags of garbage.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 1:21 pm

There will be fighting in the streets over the last roll of toilet paper.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 1:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There will be fighting in the streets over the last roll of toilet paper.

And duct tape shall be paid for with blood!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 10:24 pm

I think I'll lay up a stock pile of coffee.It'll be worth it's weight in gold.
I predict mules will go up in price considerably,best to acquire one now while they are somewhat reasonable.