Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 3:42 pm

Healthcare professionals (who work well with me) and self agree that I require some Board certified ABA in order to improve functioning.

CBT is found to be unsuccessful for me.
The living skills special program I am in, helps but not enough (my progression is really slow).

Have state benefits but age restriction prevents paying for ABA services...anyway unaffordable to pay on our own.

Needing services and having great difficulty getting them is very frustrating!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 4:23 pm

What exactly is your end goal? I mean from what I understand ABA even if done right like for the purpose of helping functioning rather than molding autistics to look NT wouldn't be effective for adults in most cases...but might be worth looking into if you think it would help. But what are you progressing towards exactly? I mean I guess in my opinion sometimes depending on what the exact issue is at some point you just have to accept some things I have had to accept there are difficulties I have that are unlikely to go away...so accomidating those while making improvments in other areas that actually helps me is what i try to do. So the main thing is if you feel the ABA will help you achieve what you want or get where you'd like to in life or reach the level of functioning you are after it would be worth looking into...

If you're doing it to hopefully become 'normal' to satisfy other people, then I'd take some time to consider what 'you' really want not what other people want you to be...I can understand not being able to find services you think you could benefit from is very frusterating though.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm

End goal is to learn to do slightly more on my own. For the professionals working with me, we need to better understand my behavior.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 4:52 pm

Lumi wrote:
End goal is to learn to do slightly more on my own. For the professionals working with me, we need to better understand my behavior.

But is that your goal? or a goal that has been put upon you by others that you're going along with?

Also ABA I don't think would do much to help you or the professionals understand your behavior, from what I understand it mostly just attempts to modify behavior not really get into the underlying causes or addressing that. But yeah ABA would be like 'rewarding' you for doing stuff a certain way or something....can't help making the comparison but anything I have heard of it really does make it resemble dog training in a way just do not see how that would help you with how you function in your daily life. For instance I have trouble with eye contact, and sure maybe I'd try to do it more if I went through extensive sessions of ABA....but in the end it wouldn't serve much purpose and certianly doesn't help things that actually make it hard for me to take care of myself just get me in the habit of trying to fake eye contact at the cost of missing a lot of what people say since I can't focus on that and making eye contact. So just don't see how ABA helps with practical functioning skills...seems more directed at modifying behavior to seem more 'normal'. But I think there are different forms of ABA or different approaches so all might not be how I describe.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 5:05 pm

ABA does have different forms. I need help with step by step. It will be used for skill building, not used by itself.