20 Apr 2015, 5:18 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
The non-killing ones, why would you kill a being with a consciousness? :(

Self-defense.

DarkObserver
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2015, 5:24 pm

I mean, if you're going to go for that line of questioning, why not ask about ants? How many have all of us inevitably stepped on while taking a mere walk downtown or to the park? Is it inherently less valuable?

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 6:27 pm

AngelRho wrote:
DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Self-defense.

The only conscious beings that are worth killing for self defence are humans.
DarkObserver wrote:
mean, if you're going to go for that line of questioning, why not ask about ants? How many have all of us inevitably stepped on while taking a mere walk downtown or to the park? Is it inherently less valuable?
Ants can't possibly have a mind of there own.

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

I find no joy in killing something and actively feel sorry for mice that wind up in houses. In many cases, human development has upset the mice by destroying their homes and environment. Build your house on somebody's home and they may come into it.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 5:15 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Self-defense.

The only conscious beings that are worth killing for self defence are humans.
DarkObserver wrote:
mean, if you're going to go for that line of questioning, why not ask about ants? How many have all of us inevitably stepped on while taking a mere walk downtown or to the park? Is it inherently less valuable?
Ants can't possibly have a mind of there own.

Wow…

Ever considered being a dictator in a third-world country? You might actually be good at it. :lol:

Berzerker777
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2015, 3:40 pm

Dropping a mouse in the woods is just as much a death sentence as killing them then and there. Something's gonna eat that poor thing. At least a kill trap's quick. It's a mercy, really.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2015, 4:10 pm

I voted for the non-kill trap even though I know how totally irrational it is to think that relocating a house mouse to 'the woods' would be more humane than killing it outright. It's hard for me to kill things even when I know that the alternative is to make them suffer a much more lingering death, in an environment they aren't adapted to and haven't explored.

I know rats are both social and territorial, so releasing a rat into the wild basically means that as soon as it runs into a group of 'native' rats, it will be attacked and killed by them.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:54 pm

They can choose not to enter my house or they can die. If they don't die by some trap they will die by some cat, that is just the way it is.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 10:31 pm

hm i cant really vote, i hate killing animals and i dont think i ever have ( i had to humaley euthenize i baby hedgehog before at a vet) but i know that many mice will die from starvation, cold, or predators if you release them in the wild, so a humane mouse trap that kills instantly is better than them being taken from their home and dying. However i dont like killing animals, so when i found out i had mice in my house i got a cat instead, and she does her job, the mice are no where to be seen and they probably live in the walls (which may not be healthy but whatever, at least they have a place to stay for the winter and dont bother me or touch my food)

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 11:44 pm

The only reason for mice is so that the snakes and birds (such as hawks and owls) and various animals (cats, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, ...) have something to eat.

We obviously have more mice than we need to feed

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2015, 2:19 am

Warning: Extremely Pragmatic Reply.

On the surface, both options have their flaws / merits, and in an ideal world the average person should be able choose either one without too much deliberation. Under the surface however, things become significantly less arbitrary.

First off, as a human being, you have large number of responsibilities to consider when dealing with a mouse in your house.

The mouse has (unknowingly) entered an extremely toxic environment.

Our food, most of which is comfort food, will be unfit for animal consumption, will pose numerous health risks, and cause addiction in mice.

The diseases that we carry, the materials our environment is made from, and the products we use to both maintain it and ourselves, can prove extremely life threatening to mice.

You can tell how long a mouse has inhabited a home by how poorly it looks. The life of a house mouse is one of pain and suffering.

You might be tempted to think that in releasing it into the wild you are in fact doing it a favor. Sadly that is not the case.

Removed from the foods they had been addicted to, most of these mice will suffer long through the effects of withdrawal as they slowly starve to death. Though depending on the time of year, they may be fortunate enough to freeze to death before they even start showing signs of withdrawal.

On the slimmest of slim chances that these former house mice do adapt to their new environment, the sheer number of diseases that they're likely to have acquired, will not only prove to be their own undoing, but the undoing of all other mice that come into contact with them.

Then of course there's the obvious health risks that these mice pose to the natural predators of mice. I wonder just how many majestic and noble owls have been laid low, and undone by someone who thought it would be cool to let the mouse go.

Listen to me people, as I've said before, I've no love for animals, and my love for humanity is infinitely boundless. To the point where I would gladly strangle a thousand kittens, if God himself appeared before me and said it'd save someones life some day.

In equal stride, I have no ill will towards animals either, and the idea of releasing mice back into the local wildlife where their potential to wreak havoc would be wholly catastrophic, would be in my opinion unconscionable.

TL:DR

In short. Do the right thing and put the mouse out of it's misery, potentially saving hundreds of lives in the process, and taking up as little of your precious free time as possible. Of course, had you simply taken more preemptive measures in mouse proofing your home in the first place, then this would never have been an issue in the first place. Because of you a precious life was lost that didn't need to be taken, but at least you fulfilled your responsibility to the mouse, and killed it before hundreds more had to be lost.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 11:56 am

Idealist wrote:
Warning: Extremely Pragmatic Reply.

On the surface, both options have their flaws / merits, and in an ideal world the average person should be able choose either one without too much deliberation. Under the surface however, things become significantly less arbitrary.

First off, as a human being, you have large number of responsibilities to consider when dealing with a mouse in your house.

The mouse has (unknowingly) entered an extremely toxic environment.

Our food, most of which is comfort food, will be unfit for animal consumption, will pose numerous health risks, and cause addiction in mice.

The diseases that we carry, the materials our environment is made from, and the products we use to both maintain it and ourselves, can prove extremely life threatening to mice.

You can tell how long a mouse has inhabited a home by how poorly it looks. The life of a house mouse is one of pain and suffering.

You might be tempted to think that in releasing it into the wild you are in fact doing it a favor. Sadly that is not the case.

Removed from the foods they had been addicted to, most of these mice will suffer long through the effects of withdrawal as they slowly starve to death. Though depending on the time of year, they may be fortunate enough to freeze to death before they even start showing signs of withdrawal.

On the slimmest of slim chances that these former house mice do adapt to their new environment, the sheer number of diseases that they're likely to have acquired, will not only prove to be their own undoing, but the undoing of all other mice that come into contact with them.

Then of course there's the obvious health risks that these mice pose to the natural predators of mice. I wonder just how many majestic and noble owls have been laid low, and undone by someone who thought it would be cool to let the mouse go.

Listen to me people, as I've said before, I've no love for animals, and my love for humanity is infinitely boundless. To the point where I would gladly strangle a thousand kittens, if God himself appeared before me and said it'd save someones life some day.

In equal stride, I have no ill will towards animals either, and the idea of releasing mice back into the local wildlife where their potential to wreak havoc would be wholly catastrophic, would be in my opinion unconscionable.

TL:DR

In short. Do the right thing and put the mouse out of it's misery, potentially saving hundreds of lives in the process, and taking up as little of your precious free time as possible. Of course, had you simply taken more preemptive measures in mouse proofing your home in the first place, then this would never have been an issue in the first place. Because of you a precious life was lost that didn't need to be taken, but at least you fulfilled your responsibility to the mouse, and killed it before hundreds more had to be lost.

I agree, it's more humane to just kill the poor thing than to let it suffer. Now, I'm not sure if it's feasible to keep mice out entirely in some situations, but you do make a good point in saying that it would probably be better to take more preemptive measures in the first place.