if there was a mouse in your house, you would
get a non-kill trap and let it go in the woods 62%  62%  [ 69 ]
get a trap that kills 38%  38%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 111

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2014, 9:58 pm

I hate mice. I'd get a kill trap. I was raised to kill pests though. I mean, my family and I shoot coyotes on sight. Sometimes I shoot rabbits in our yard (and wild jack rabbits just for fun). I love pheasant hunting. I would still consider myself an animal lover though. Hunting is for sport. I wouldn't kill a cat just to kill it. Or for that matter a dog, bird or snake. Maybe it makes me a bad person... but I wouldn't really consider myself a nice person to begin with despite being mellow.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 7:55 am

are aspies nicer to animals than nts?

Apparently not.

Me, I've never had any mice in the home and can't imagine caring much about them if I did, as long as they don't scuttle over me while I'm sleeping. I'll co-exist with almost everything, apart from house spiders. The large ones creep me the absolute f-uck out, to the point I cannot be in the same room as them.

I'm too scared to even get close enough to a house spider to kill it or deal with its squished remains.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 8:07 am

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
... as long as they don't scuttle over me while I'm sleeping. I'll co-exist with almost everything

Your opinion would soon change if every morning you found mouse s**t and piss all over your food because they'd gnawed into the packets and they'd left a similar trail of faeces and urine all over your kitchen worktops, cutlery and crockery. You could also "co-exist" and "be nice" with fleas, lice, cockroaches and rats too? Personally I wouldn't.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 9:39 am

TallyMan wrote:
NiceCupOfTea wrote:
... as long as they don't scuttle over me while I'm sleeping. I'll co-exist with almost everything

Your opinion would soon change if every morning you found mouse s**t and piss all over your food because they'd gnawed into the packets and they'd left a similar trail of faeces and urine all over your kitchen worktops, cutlery and crockery. You could also "co-exist" and "be nice" with fleas, lice, cockroaches and rats too? Personally I wouldn't.

I wouldn't even like horses in the same house with me because I wouldn't want to step in the horse crap every time I got up in the middle of the night

Fortunately, house horses are not a problem around here. Can you imagine trying to carry out a glue trap with a horse stuck in it?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm

I've rescued mice before my cats killed them and set them free outdoors, but I read that the mouse may not survive anyway from a lack of food or other predators. I used to catch spiders and let them go outside but then I read that house spiders are adapted to living inside, well, a house and if you put them outdoors they may not survive.

Even when I try to be nice, especially to creatures many people don't think twice about pounding, I still do it wrong. :(

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 11:21 am

I don't kill anything. Not a bug, slug, garden worm, spider...nothing. This non-violence also applies to rats.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 11:26 am

Get a non kill trap and then give it to a cat

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 11:37 am

I live in the tropics. We don't actually have mice. But rats are ubiquitous. What are we supposed to do?

- Albert Einstein

alleviate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2015, 11:47 am

I'd definitely get a no-kill trap. Mice are too cute to kill. I'm the type of person that catches spiders in the house and lets them go outside. I have an issue with killing things, except stuff like mosquitoes and centipedes. Those can go to h*ll.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm

My mouse trap has 4 paws. I never see him with live prey but if I did I would not intervene, he is a cat. Nature intended for him to kill mice.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:22 pm

we hardly get any mice or rats around here, our main scourge is insects. even those are rare, and the huge crane flies and moths we see fluttering and scuttling about were let in via the back door, which my parents leave open all way while we are all out of the house (so the doggie can go to the bathroom outside-we don't have a doggie door), and for quite a while at night. i have no qualms with killing pest insects.

they do appear once in a while, and we don't have really an organized strategy for defeating them when they show up. glue traps are effective, but when i was a kid i had a hamster that got stuck in one. he survived, but it was awful trying to get the glue off him. i'm a bit sensitive to rodent death for that reason, and i've been keeping them since i was 7. but eh, i have to make a distinction.

i'd prefer an effective quick killing spring, over glue, over ineffective spring trap that leaves it paralyzed and bleeding, yet still alive, if only barely, faintly kicking.

once in a blue moon, we get gophers..

spiders are found almost invariably in the sink and tub, down to the septics they go.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

princessarachne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm

VEGAN

That says it all ;)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

In the past, I have killed them. Any club like object will probably do.

Cats that know how to hunt are amazingly good at keeping them away.

Killing them yourself or having a hunter-killer mousing cat can be quite messy in a Sam Peckinpah kind of way, so best to avoid it if you are going to be upset by that sort of thing.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 4:40 pm

there was a particularly spoopy incident this january when i was visiting my grandparents in mexico and we found a nest of mice in the back of the house, under some tiles. we lifted up the tile and the nest "exploded" and all the adult mice went scurrying everywhere to hide behind old water heaters, boxes. we didn't manage to nab one but they left behind all their young, squirming and writhing.

over the summer when we were gone my dog killed a bird and dragged it inside the kitchen, my uncle found the murder scene with rivers of ants, had to bleach the floor.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 7:41 pm

r2d2 wrote:
I live in the tropics. We don't actually have mice. But rats are ubiquitous. What are we supposed to do?
I lived in the tropics for many years in a little wood shack. I nearly freaked out when I first saw the rats walking along the wires just after sunset. Everyone in my big yard had a dog or two for security, and said the dogs would kill a cat if I got one... but no, they all ignored her. And quickly the rats were gone... and the bats from the attic too.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 10:38 am

Kill traps, all the way. In my experience, the best ones are the modified Victor traps with the "cheese." NEVER failed. They've gotten hard to find these days, so I've switched to a classic metal strip trigger with a little peanut butter. SUCKS.

Story time: Recently I became aware of a mouse running around, and I've dealt with enough mice to know their habits within our house. So I put the only trap I had available (the bad ones) in the usual spots. Nothing. The mouse eventually falls into our bathtub. OK, no big deal. I'll drop a trap in. The mouse crawled over the trigger at least three times. The mouse even FELL on the trigger. NOTHING. AAAAAGH!! !! ! OK… I covered the mouse with a box with the trap inside. I think it just took a nap or something, but suicide apparently was not an option--or the trap is just that bad. So I ended up catching the mouse with an empty coffee can and dumping the poor thing into the toilet. I really hated going there. About an hour later I took the family out to a movie, during which the mouse FINALLY drowned.

If you ever catch one live, I'm afraid drowning is the best hands-free approach. Our toilet is one of those that only has a tiny little pool of water in the very bottom, so I had to fill 1/4 of the bowl with water. Mice are good swimmers and COULD possibly jump out of the water if it's too high. It's the smooth surface and the lip of the bowl that keeps them trapped, and they can't swim forever. The trouble with just flushing them is they probably CAN swim just enough to get through the septic or sewer system and can likely find their way back into your home. I hate killing animals, even mice, but they are too destructive to just live with. If you find them, you HAVE to kill them.

I also find that using a coumarin variant is HIGHLY effective. Ask your exterminator for Talon-G. They'll tear into that stuff so hard you'll think they had rabies or something. It takes about a week to build up in their bodies, during which they're probably taking some back to a nest and feeding babies. At that point, they get really thirsty and start looking for a water source. Once they start drinking water, the coumarin hits them like a Varon-T disruptor.