if there was a mouse in your house, you would
get a non-kill trap and let it go in the woods 62%  62%  [ 69 ]
get a trap that kills 38%  38%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 111

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 12:35 am

A miniature guillotine where the mouse has to put its head through a hole to get the cheese would be the ultimate mouse trap. Just connected the cheese to the trigger mechanism and add a little basket for the head. I think it would sell like hotcakes.

Something like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r17jVg8Li7w[/youtube]

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 3:15 am

I have cat so...

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2014, 3:20 am

In England, it's against the law to trap mice and release them into the wild because they're classified as pests. So I'd have to set a trap that kills them.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 3:32 am

When my cat has lizards I won't let him in the house because I don't want to clean up lizard blood. But I never take them from him or show disgust. I'm not disgusted, he is doing what nature designed him to do.

And presents and live prey are shows of love. When your cat brings you a mouse they are offering to share food with you. You should be flattered.

When I was a kid we bred mice for my brother's snakes, it was cheaper than buying them. We always made sure they were happy. We gave them treats of fresh veggie peels and apple cores daily. A favorite pass time was to make climbing toys from popcicle sticks and nontoxic glue.

But they were not pets. (OK, one or two pretty ones ended up in a separate cage). But they were always well cared for before meeting Slither. That's just nature. It's not always pretty, but the snake had to eat too. Cats have too eat. And don't forget, most of us humans eat meat. My mom actually slaughters some of her own food. But the pig and chickens are very happy.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 4:15 am

Stephz98 wrote:
If the non-kill trap hurt the mouse severely, I would go for the one that kills so they aren't miserable. If I was using one that safely caught the mouse, I would most definitely release it. I used to often rescue mice and birds from my cat.

This no kill mouse trap doesn't hurt the mouse at all. http://smile.amazon.com/Smart-Mouse-Tra ... mouse+trap

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 6:53 am

TallyMan wrote:
............ This summer a feral cat managed to find its way into our attic where it gave birth to a litter of kittens - we just left her to it ....

b9 wrote:
it is kind of astounding how arrogant humans are. you just "left her to it" did you?. that is good.
at least you did not exercise your "human right" to deny her of her heritage.
should i applaud your restraint or merely acknowledge that you are smart enough to know you have no real authority?

No need to be nasty.

i am sorry. my post does seem rather terse i suppose. i did not mean to seem nasty. i perceived what you said about "leaving her to it" as equivalent to "i did not exterminate it". i then perceived that it is arrogant to feel self righteous for merely allowing another animal to live it's life in your "territory".

i tend to tar everyone with the same brush, and i have long felt that humans have a self appointed ownership of the whole of the earth, and that all that is done is for the greater good of humanity in their minds. i too often speak at individual people as i would speak through a microphone to the whole human race.

TallyMan wrote:
I meant I simply resisted the temptation to put down any food or water as that would encourage them to become dependent up me instead of them fending for themselves, as they will need to do, especially during the hard winter when food (mice) become more scarce.

yes i understand now. i also had this dilemma when i had my 8 mice. i was not prepared to give them any more food than would sustain only 8 mice. after a while, there seemed to be more than 8 of them, and they got reasonably cranky with each other fighting for the food.
i knew that just another hand full of cereal would calm them down and promote peace, but i knew that if i went down that track that i would eventually be feeding hundreds of them if i always increased their food supply to keep them calm.

nature forces even the most caring of hearts to acquiesce to the logic of supply and demand.

so i will say i am sorry again.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:08 am

here is a video of my mouse family from 4 years or so ago.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQr4IEaVbLw[/youtube]

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 9:08 am

They are cute B9. :)

Wreck It Ralph

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 2:23 pm

I have had to come to grips that all life deserves respect.
Anything less is simply the result of a mind virus that only humans have.

Tiffany_Aching
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2014, 6:22 pm

This isn't as cut and dry as you seem to think.

Mice are an introduced species here, so releasing it into the wild would cause more harm than killing it.

Snakes & spiders on the other hand, we're supposed to call the wildlife service for, even if they're venomous.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:24 pm

I will say it again, Peppermint!! In fact, I need to start spraying tonight since it is getting cool at night now.

Wreck It Ralph

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:24 pm

It is subjects like this that can bring some clarity to some individuals that haven't yet realized just how much they have been trying to imitate psychopaths throughout their lives.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

olympiadis wrote:
It is subjects like this that can bring some clarity to some individuals that haven't yet realized just how much they have been trying to imitate psychopaths throughout their lives.
Yeah, I really thought people would respond like I did, "Wow spray diluted peppermint all over the house, what a great, easy, inexpensive, no mess super humane wonderful solution!" I guess I was wrong since they are still talking about guillotines and glue traps!

Wreck It Ralph

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 8:02 pm

How a person regards the suffering of any animal is just one window into the vast repertoire of cruelty of which humans are capable.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

I think what is actually worse is that the vast majority of people intentionally turn a blind eye to the types of cruelty that you mention. They pretend that it doesn't happen, that people are just not capable of such things, and so on.
This is the behavior that equates to acceptance of such cruelty in our society.

Why is it so easy for the average person to ignore such things?
All I can gather is that they may say, "yeah, there's something wrong with those people".
Perhaps the existence of those crueler individuals somehow allows people to feel a little better about themselves?

I'm sure it must serve identity in some capacity or it wouldn't be such a common feature in our behavior patterns.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

I voted for the killing traps.

But I agree with one thing those glue traps are very cruel.