Is it just me or is this an actual thing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

mel113
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2014, 12:16 am

I've just started connecting a bunch of dots that seem to lead to some form of high functioning autism, but I'm not 100% sure because I really don't know enough yet. Anyway, the question: On my really bad days, it becomes strenuous to talk (I am able to get over it when I need to,but only when I absolutely have to, and I begin to trip over my words and my vocabulary becomes smaller) and I become even more clumsy than usual. Its like my hands just don't want to do what I want them to do. Is this a me thing or is this an autism spectrum thing?

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2014, 12:27 am

It's hard to say what is and isn't an autistic trait when you're examining it on its own.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 5:41 am

What you describe is and can be one of the traits of autism for some/many people on the autism spectrum, yes, but there has to be many more additional traits, symptoms and challenges, evident from early childhood, for a stronger suspicion of autism to be justified. What you experience with the strain of too much conversation is one of the effects, but if you have other "things" too then the possibility becomes more likely. If not, then less likely.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 6:47 am

Welcome to WP Med113. The exact same thing happens to me as well. It might be a Spectrum thing, I am not sure, but I know that at least you are not alone in this.

Wreck It Ralph

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 6:56 am

Yep, OP is not alone -- I forgot to mention I experience it too, big-time!

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 9:06 am

I get this too, but I guess it isn't necessarily an autistic trait. Have you read anything on the subject anywhere?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:18 pm

Me too.
It can be one of the bits in the puzzle, but alone it says nothing.

....and welcome.

mel113
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2014, 12:45 pm

I'm sorry I need to clarify... There's a lot more that points me to the autism spectrum, but because I don't know enough about the autism spectrum I don't know if its a common trait among people with high functioning autism, or if its just me.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 1:20 pm

This happens to me a lot when I'm reading aloud to others. Sometimes, it also happens when I'm explaining something. I think as others have said, it does fall under the spectrum. I think it's something common though, but I don't think it's really considered as a TRAIT of autism or anything... if that makes sense? O_o

I also tend have a hard time controlling my hands and feet as well. It's almost as if they have this mind of their own, if that makes any sense at all. I feel the same way with my brain as well.