Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 11:02 pm

Does anyone think it might be unethical to post depressing and alarming things or question someones assumptions about reality when those comments might occasionally be trafficked by people who might not be able to process the information rationally? I'm thinking specifically about how a depressive or schizophrenic might interpret things.

How, and to what extent should we self censor?

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 11:26 pm

Self censorship is a very slippery slope if we start thinking we are culpable because some random person might not be the right person to read what we type/write.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 11:46 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
Self censorship is a very slippery slope if we start thinking we are culpable because some random person might not be the right person to read what we type/write.

This. An irrational mind will find a way to misinterpret things regardless of how hard you try to mitigate through censorship. A schizophrenic will fill the gaps no matter how you moderate. I personally try to clarify my meaning to as refined a point as possible. This doesn't prevent anyone from misunderstanding or misinterpreting.

As long as you have endeavoured to express yourself as clearly as you can, any failure to understand is the fault of the other party. Deliberate obfuscation would be dishonest and unhelpful.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 12:52 am

There was a period of time for a few days when I thought people were sending me messages through mad gabs. For instance, I would interpret a sentence like "what would you be referring to" as sexually suggestive. It's really true that when you are psychotic you will always fill in the gaps. The mind is moving too fast.