Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2014, 12:06 pm

Ghonx wrote:
So I finally found a way to tell my employer about my (As Yet Undiagnosed) aspergers. admittedly it kind of formed in the way of a meltdown, but I sat down with him and the co-manager to discuss it.

I had spent the last 3 months trying to act NT, and it kinda broke down in a bad way, and now they want me to carry it on or I can't work there! :x Anyone have some advice or experience on this matter?

Quite frankly you do not have any legal rights in this situation to fall back on. You are not officially diagnosed and merely 'suspected' of having autism, which to an employer may not be very convincing evidence as to him, it's basically just an opinion.

As for you acting NT, why is this? If you have unusual movements or other issues that might scare customers or co-workers, this is a something you should not be doing or it may be detrimental to your ability to function in your specific line of work. On the other hand you also don't have an obligation to be super social or friendly with your co-workers; simply being cordial and formal would suffice. You should try and find a way to balance the two 'you's', the professional "NT" you and the original you. Balance them in such a way that you can continue to function in your job, while making it easier for you to function.

As unfair is it may look to you, your employer cannot allow everyone to be 100% themselves all the time if an employee being themselves means they cannot function the way they are supposed to. Your employer is under no obligation to employ people who do not fit the requirements of their function, harsh as this may be. Sometimes you have to adapt even if it is hard for you. If it is too hard, it may not be the place for you.