Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:55 am

I was informed about Schizotypal autism/Mendelsohnn's Syndrome on this forum. In Polish AS forum I was supposed to have McDD, two people thougt that I am schizoprenic, one person wrote that I look to be a kook.

When I had diagnosis of AS (I was diagnosed with AS) about 6 years ago, I was "suspicious" about drink which they gave me in the diagnostic centre (I had strange "fear" of being poisoned). I had serious magical obsessions and rituals before 15 years old. I also read the book about AS and NLD written by Y. Fast when I was in the centre.

I suppose that I have just NLD, which is my obsession. It would be sad to my derailed mind. I am not so bad in theory of mind. I am a verbal thinker. My IQ is rather not "extremely high", I do not know if my VIQ is at least 130. The current usage of the name "NVLD" is potty in my opinion and HAS to be rejected. I had delusional ideas (weird ones), magical thinking. I have various "obssesive-like" interests.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 12:18 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizotypal_autism

Schizotypal autism or Mendelsohnn's Syndrome is an extremely rare neurodevelopmental disorder similar to Asperger syndrome; however, it originates from a schizotypal continuum rather than an autistic spectrum. It is characterized by impaired social interaction, non-verbal communication, ritualistic and obsessive behaviour, an above average intelligence and schizotypal symptoms often resulting in secondary depression and anxiety. It is a lifelong condition; however, it becomes particularly notable in periods of stress. It occurs in North Eastern European populations, and is only officially recognised in Russia, Finland, Kyrgyzstan, Estonia and Belarus as a psychiatric disorder.

A classical symptom is seasonal affective disorder.

For a diagnosis patients need specific symptoms associated with "classical" Aspergers Syndrome, these are usually present from toddler age, like an ASD:

Difficulties with social interaction
Ritualistic Behaviour
Obsessive Interests
High IQ
Impaired Motor Skills
Inability to ""mentalize"
Anxiety

But also symptoms of schizotypy which usually become more prominent in late childhood years:

Aloofness
Suspiciousness
Verbosity or odd use of language
Pseudohallucinations
Depressive Episodes
Paranoia
Suicidal Thoughts

Maybe a PDD described here is specific only to North Eastern European populations? I rather live in Central Europe, not Northeastern. I do not suppose that my ancestors were from NE Europe, but I do not know for sure.

I rather do not have depression (my obsessions, stims are rather pleasant), seasonal affective disorder, suicidal thoughts, extremely high IQ. And I (at least think) that I have more or less ability to mentalize.

I think that the word "schizotypal" and "autism" describe my condtion better than "learning disorder". I think that I have NLD profile and SCT. But also NT "influx".

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 2:51 pm

It seems like I might have begun developing psychopathy lately. Not sure though.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2014, 2:00 am

tomato wrote:
It seems like I might have begun developing psychopathy lately. Not sure though.

do you mean you think you're going through a psychotic episode? or are you exhibiting antisocial tendencies?

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

unit_00 wrote:
tomato wrote:

do you mean you think you're going through a psychotic episode? or are you exhibiting antisocial tendencies?

I feel a bit detached from myself and the world sometimes. And people sometimes feel hollow. And I sometimes feel like I can read people or something. And like I can see through conditioning and abstract away from emotional attachment to a certain degree. But I don't know.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2014, 11:05 pm

tomato wrote:
unit_00 wrote:
tomato wrote:

I feel a bit detached from myself and the world sometimes. And people sometimes feel hollow. And I sometimes feel like I can read people or something. And like I can see through conditioning and abstract away from emotional attachment to a certain degree. But I don't know.

I can relate to most of this. I feel like I don't have much of a self. Also, I often feel like I'm not present in the world mentally and that most of what I perceive is patterns abstracted from whatever I sense. I don't feel much emotional attachment, which might be why I think about things others often take for granted. For example, I often think about why I was born a human.

The only time I did not feel this way was some time after I was taught Social Thinking, which makes some sense as the curriculum seems to promote emotional attachment with all its "musts" and its dismissal of disagreement with its musts as emotional attachment.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2014, 1:17 am

tomato wrote:
unit_00 wrote:
tomato wrote:

oh, i see. i relate, except for the reading people part. i dont think this would be considered psychopathy. maybe something more like depersonalisation/derealisation. are you having more troubles with it lately? in my experience the more stressed out i am, the more likely i am to be that way. or i might be way off base here in regards to what you're feeling.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm

IntellectualCat wrote:
I can relate to most of this. I feel like I don't have much of a self. Also, I often feel like I'm not present in the world mentally and that most of what I perceive is patterns abstracted from whatever I sense. I don't feel much emotional attachment, which might be why I think about things others often take for granted. For example, I often think about why I was born a human.

The only time I did not feel this way was some time after I was taught Social Thinking, which makes some sense as the curriculum seems to promote emotional attachment with all its "musts" and its dismissal of disagreement with its musts as emotional attachment.

Very interesting. I have been wondering more and more lately if emotional intelligence, and just emotion, is mostly something negative. I think that emotion is basically the glue that binds you to the corporeal. The more of it you have the more of a groupthinker you are, you are a total robot. The less emotion you have the further ascended you are, and see a bigger picture perhaps, among other things. But I don't know. I have felt quite strongly that I have split up into two people. I think The Big Lebowski might be about this. I think that most mental disorders and illnesses are spiritual conditions of one sort or another.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:32 pm

unit_00 wrote:
oh, i see. i relate, except for the reading people part. i dont think this would be considered psychopathy. maybe something more like depersonalisation/derealisation. are you having more troubles with it lately? in my experience the more stressed out i am, the more likely i am to be that way. or i might be way off base here in regards to what you're feeling.

Maybe it's not considered psychopathy. My knowledge of psychopathy is limited. But there does seem to be some resemblance to the little I do know, but again I really don't know. I don't have problems with it. I have found that most, if not all, of my mental "problems" are blessings, either I find that out later or I feel it while it's happening. In the past I didn't feel that at all, that they were blessings, that came after the shift. I also feel sometimes that if I have some problem or adversity and I try to think of it as an ordeal that was given as enlightenment and to be grateful for having received that enlightenment, I will get out of it faster and feel greater reward from it. I even feel more spiritual when people are as*holes and when going through rough experiences a lot of times. As for stress and such things I think that's interesting. I have noticed that quite often when I have certain kinds of outer stress, or I'm tired etc. I might feel more spiritual. Some kinds of stress make me feel like I might have a psychosis if it got a little bit worse.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2014, 11:02 pm

tomato wrote:
IntellectualCat wrote:

Very interesting. I have been wondering more and more lately if emotional intelligence, and just emotion, is mostly something negative. I think that emotion is basically the glue that binds you to the corporeal. The more of it you have the more of a groupthinker you are, you are a total robot. The less emotion you have the further ascended you are, and see a bigger picture perhaps, among other things. But I don't know. I have felt quite strongly that I have split up into two people. I think The Big Lebowski might be about this. I think that most mental disorders and illnesses are spiritual conditions of one sort or another.

I could see emotional intelligence as being something negative, particularly the aspect involving the ability to use emotions to guide yourself. I see emotion as something that makes you only notice the surface characteristics of things and as a wall that blocks you from seeing the truth while providing a false sense of security.

When I was having much more emotional attachment than usual, I felt cut off from the world, and it was harder for me to think about the universal. Also, I felt very ashamed because I found myself making thinking errors that the majority of people make and was unable to correct them (or at the very least, it took a lot of effort exerted over a long period of time).

About mental illnesses, I disagree with the term "mental illness" as conditions termed "mental illnesses" are not actual illnesses. Also, the term has negative connotations, making others see the people with those conditions in a negative way.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 3:23 am

Maybe there are also other forms of developmental scizotypal autism than the one from NE Europe? Many things from Mendelsohnn's syndrome may fit me, but some (rather) not (such as affective disorders and suicidal thinking). I had magical compulsions which started in childood (about 7 years old) and were quite severe when I was about 12 - 15 years old (it might be magical (schizotypal) OCD without insight). I also had weird, somewhat absorbing fantasies (such as about special powers, "grandiosity" and something omnipotence-like). I feared space aliens when I was about 6 - 9 years old. I am interested in paranormal phenomena since (early) childhood. Sporadically I had (para)hallucinations when I was about 17 years old (usually auditory). I had marked suspiciousness since I was about 16 years old. I had also "derealisation-like" ideas since about 16 years old, maybe I had also some depersonalisation (but maybe rather later). I had blatantly bizarre ideas (such as peculiar shame of having head or some other parts of the body), I might "not want to believe" that I have face, need micronutries for health. I liked to fantasy that I am a female (it was associated with bizarre sexual perversions in my opinon), maybe wit some sort of imagining that I am a female, I might even have something like pleasure from imagining to be a female. Now I really "like" neologisms, metaphorical and stereotyped thinking (but I think that there may be a talent in it, not schizophrenia spectrum disorder symptom).

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2014, 1:48 pm

Heh. I actually share a lot of characteristics of both Asperger syndrome and schizophrenia. I don't know what exactly it is though.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 11:37 am

Maybe there are "schizoautistic" PDDs. "Mendelsohnn's syndrome" may be only a local, northeastern European sort of schizoautistic PDD. Schizoautistic PDDs have social communication disorders and dysreciprocity, obsessiveness from early childhood. They may have stimming, sensory issues, nonverbal and/or verbal learning anomalies, attention and concentration deficitis. But they may have other pattern of rituals, routines - rather weird, bizarre, often not associated with the fear of change, but rather with peculiar emotionality and magical thinking. They fantasies, thinking and emotionality tends to be bizarre. Marked problems are noticeable in earlier childhood. It is not a personality disorder, but a pervasive developmental disorder. They looks weirder than "classical" ASD due to "schizo" symptoms. I think that my developmental problem would be well described by such a term, better than by terms such as "schizotypal (personality) disorder", "nonverbal learning disorder", "anxiety disorder". It looks serious - "schizo", "autistic" and "PDD" - harsh words, opposite to "palatable" NLD name. "Idiosyncracy" is my large problem. I may look as a kook even for "classic" Aspies. I have also something which I named "dysexecutive developmental disorder" which looks for me as a blend of ADD, SCT and NLD. It makes mind "chaotic", "spacey" and I may consider myself a twit due to it. For me it is a symptom of my PDD. I have AS diagnosis, but my AS is not classic. "NLD + anxiety" - it is far too weak term for my weirdness.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 4:37 am

For me Mendelsohnn's syndrome is not the only disorder which could be named as "schizotypal autism". I think that the title of the article in Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizotypal_autism) should be changed because disorders other than Mendelsohnn's syndrome (occurring in northeastern part of Europe) also might be called as sorts of "schizotypal autism". I suppose that schizotypal autisms can occur in all parts of the world, not only in northeastern Europe and in people who have ancestors from this region of world.

I suppose that a group of people with "schizotypal personality disorder" (especially those who have OCD in addition) have sorts of developmental schizotypal autism (DSA). In this cases social ineptitude and "oddities" are significant before adolescence age. I would classify my condition as a sort of DSA (and I think that it is not Mendelsohnn's syndrome or something related to it, also not something related to Kanner's syndrome (classic ASD)), it appears to originate from schizotypal continnum rather than "typical" autistic spectrum. There is an interesting article about schizotypy, in second part there is about differences between autism and schizophrenia spectrum: http://the-mouse-trap.com/2006/11/23/schizophrenia-and-autism-the-two-cultures/ - "Schizophrenia and Autism: The Two Cultures". I have diagnoses of Asperger's (F84.5), mixed OCD (F42.2) and schizotypal disorder (F21). DSAs are blends of PDD and mental illness (MI), symptoms of mental illness may tend to became more prominent in later years (may be not present in childhood, especially earlier).

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

15 Jul 2015, 4:22 pm

As someone who has lived this combination, I spent quite a while tightly focused on the research into both conditions. What most people don't take into account is that the diagnoses for these disorders are based on clinical observation rather then physiological mechanisms. Understandable since until recently there was no way to look at how someones brain was wired without taking it out :? And genetics is also in a comparable infancy. However, there has been so much research in just the last 10 years with fMRI to study how it's working and genetics in discovering shared mutations. And what they are finding is that while they may have different diagnoses, they have their roots in a number of shared mechanisms. Genes that control signalling, genes that control wiring. Sometimes the same gene is involved in both activities. The reason they are called spectrum disorders is because the severity and type of impairment can vary so wildly. And now its starting to look like both spectrum's (and probably a number of other disorders) are actually all part of a single scale with common root causes. Depending on which wiring and or signalling pathway was disrupted controls which symptoms you experience and what your clinical diagnoses is. Here is one of the latest studies exploring shared genetic mechanisms between Autism and Schizophrenia.

Signaling pathways link autism, schizophrenia

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 5:10 pm

from what I can tell, the link between the two conditions, is that in autism there too little neural pruning that has taken place, making for a [figuratively] muscle-bound brain, whereas in schizoid conditions too much neural pruning has taken place, creating a buggy cognition with many short-circuits hence delusions. the tough part is reconciling the two conditions in light of the neural pruning differences. it could be that in many respects the two conditions share many of the same behavioral/cognitive traits, but that the latter condition has the evil bonus of psychosis.