Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mrrandomman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2014, 9:16 pm

Is anyone else at least kind of offended that Asperger's Syndrome is called a disorder? I actually like having this '' disorder''. :D

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 10:11 pm

I'm offended that most psychiatric disorders are called disorders. Especially Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which is actually very orderly.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 10:44 pm

yeah, it's like an oxymoron. a large fixation on order is a common shared trait. at least it's better than calling it a disease that has to be cured.

personally, i would not mind a bit of chaos here and there. routines are very comforting but have the potential to become incredibly mind numbing if protracted for too long.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Last edited by Kiprobalhato on 29 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 6:05 am

It doesn't really affect me that much whether it's called a disorder or whatever. I certainly wouldn't like to be seen as inferior or something because I know I'm not. I do actually have a serious problem interacting with other people that affects my quality of life significantly. In that sense it could probably be called a disorder although it is actually the narrowed-minded people around me that are making life difficult for me by unnecessarily being hostile just because I'm "weird", not autism itself. I do like certain aspects of autism (AS), too.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 7:52 am

The term 'disorder' describes my condition very well - the opposite of order.
OCD is the opposite of order when you look at the big picture. Your obsession is the master and you are the slave. Not the natural order of things at all.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 8:12 am

Raleigh wrote:
OCD is the opposite of order when you look at the big picture. Your obsession is the master and you are the slave. Not the natural order of things at all.

I was attempting at a joke there mostly... I'm not very good at jokes. In the case of OCD it is a disorder for being out of the proper order, not that there isn't an order anyway.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 3:54 pm

If someone has mild autism and super skills with math, science, computers etc. Then i guess it can be more of a novelty than a disorder. As for me i'm legally disabled from it and have severe learning disabilities etc. So not so nifty for me.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:16 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

I was attempting at a joke there mostly... I'm not very good at jokes. In the case of OCD it is a disorder for being out of the proper order, not that there isn't an order anyway.

Actually it was an awesome joke to me. I laughed out loud when I read the "orderly" comment. You did great.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 6:26 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

I thought it was funny, I am still smiling about it. I would have laughed out loud were I not in a small quiet coffee shop near 10 other people. They might get annoyed at me.

- Sherlock Holmes

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 7:28 pm

Kiriae wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Actually it was an awesome joke to me. I laughed out loud when I read the "orderly" comment. You did great.

Yes, I got the joke. I did find it funny. I was just making an observation. Sorry, guess I should have acknowledged the joke first?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm

It isn't such a problem. Wish it was easier to make friends

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 8:53 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Kiriae wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Yes, I got the joke. I did find it funny. I was just making an observation. Sorry, guess I should have acknowledged the joke first?

Maybe... but I'm not used to people getting my jokes anyways, so maybe I shouldn't have said anything. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't taken as being entirely serious. We just had a little communication glitch, nothing really to be sorry about....